X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J-ROC
    • Jul 2004

Extended Warranty

Hey Guys,
    Just bought a Panasonic PT53TW54 - haven't even seen it yet, as it is to be delivered when I move at the end of July - I'm in Canada & paid $2500 for it, there's a 5 year warranty avail for another $500 - is it worth it, or should I save the $500. I really don't know what these are like for breaking down.
    Thanks,
    J.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I wouldn't pay that much for an extended warranty on an RPTV personally. Chances are in a few years you could almost buy a new RPTV for that if they're even still making them.

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hi J, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

$500 is somewhat steep. If it was $250-350, then yes, but $500?

Something to consider is how long you plan to keep the TV. If it's a 2-year-until-something-else-comes-along purchase, then no as you probably won't encounter problems in that short a timeframe. If you plan on keeping it for 4-5 years, then yes as the price of one gun replacement will pay for most of the warranty - especially if you can talk them down on the price.

Good luck.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• brucek
        HTG Expert
        • Aug 2000

there's a 5 year warranty avail for another $500
        That's 20%..........highway robbery.....pass..... :E

Comment

• DennisR
          • Jul 2004

What, if anything, are you willing to pay? If you would be willing to pony up $150 or $200 for the 5 years make them an offer. Keep in mind that extended warranties are a huge profit for most stores, they may be willing to negotiate. If not, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

On a personal note, I only purchase an extended warranty when I purchase electronics and/or appliances from a particular sales person. She is a friend of my family and gives us the employee discount. For example my wife and I purchased a plasma TV last summer. It listed at $4,999, we purchased it for approx. $3,300 out the door. I know that on average around 40% of the extended warranty goes to her as a commission. I purchased the extended warranty on the plasma TV for $150-$200 (don't remember exact figure.)

Comment

• J-ROC
            • Jul 2004

Thanks Guys - I'll haggle with the sales dude & set a $300 cap - like Jason said, they'll be coming down in price & surley the guns will drop too - a gun is currently $700, but in a couple of years who knows.
            Thanks Again
            J.

Comment

• ht_addict
              • Dec 2002

If I remember right I paid just over $300 for my extended warranty. If I never use it the warranty can be used as credit towards a future purchase.

ht_addict

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

I bought an entire 5.1 Energy C-series, Hitachi 51" RPTV, Denon DVD player and Denon 1803(?) Receiver and got the extended warranty on ALL of it for a couple hundred'ish (don't remember the exact figure.)

Jason
                Jason

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"