X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rcchap
    • Jan 2004

Hitachi 51s715?

Looking at purchasing a Hitachi 51s715 for $1799. This seems like a reasonable price for this TV. They offered an extended warranty of 5 years including in home repairs etc for $400. I have never bought an extended warranty or a RPTV for that matter. Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on extended warrantiesfor RPTV's. The TV looks great to me. The only drawbacks that I see are just one HDMI input and no epg if using a cable card. Do any of you know of any other drawbacks or reasons to look at an alternative tv.

Thanks as always.

Chris
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Unless they're going to give you the extended warranty for VERY cheap I wouldn't bother personally. CRT RPTV's have been pretty much perfected at this point in history so they're generally quite reliable. Plus in a couple years that set won't even be worth what you paid for the warranty...

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• rcchap
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by aud19
      Plus in a couple years that set won't even be worth what you paid for the warranty...

Why did you have to do that to me . After all of my research I thought that I had the perfect TV for my budget. Alright I'll bite, why?

Chris

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Nothing against the TV at all. It's just that CRT based RPTV, while being superior in every way but size to other display technologies, have steadily decreasing prices due to all the new digital technologies. As such in a couple years a set that's even better than yours (if they're still even making CRT sets) will probably be available for something like $1000 new putting your used set at maybe $500 if you're lucky...

These are the reasons that CRT RPTV's are the best buy out there if their depth isn't a problem for you. You get some of the best PQ, big screens and all for relatively little money due to all the competeing newer technologies. Also because the technology has been around forever, it's been pretty much perfected meaning you're getting about the best that CRT's will ever look in history.

In other words, the sets a good find :T Just don't get the extended warranty unless it's like $100 or less, that's the rippoff. What's the sticker on the set and are you paying sticker?

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• rcchap
          • Jan 2004

The sticker is $2100US and he told me that he would sell it for $1800 delivered. Does this sound like a good deal or should I try to go lower.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

If that's after tax's that's about what I would be willing to part with. If that's the case offer him $50 for the warranty, see if he bites. I wouldn't go more than $100-$150 more for it though at your discretion.

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• BlazeMaster
              • May 2004

why don't try lower if you can? Tell him that you know CRT prices are falling like crazy do a little more if you can. I wouldn't worry about the warranty too much. The CRT is a perfected technology and Hitachi makes some of the best quality ones out there. I'd skip it if I were you, just get it registered for the manufacturer's warranty.
              Another thought to consider, ask them if they can remove the protective screen that most RPTV ships with, if you not going to be moving the thing too much. It'll greatly reduce most of the glares that you get from watching it when there's light in the room. It'll also improve the contrast and make the image appear a little sharper.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"