X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bvbellomo
    • Mar 2013

Cheap Audio Receiver Brands

I was hoping to eventually upgrade from my Yamaha RX-A3000 to separates, but after a divorce, I am looking for a cheap replacement that at best is a downgrade in power with newer technology.

Yamaha, Denon and Onkyo all have ~$500 receivers (RX-A1050, AVR-X3500H, TX-RZ820) with full pre-outs for a nice path to separates, as well as a decent (but less than RX-A3000) power. Preamp surrounds are nice, as they give me a wireless option, and preamp mains are nice as I really only want more power for the left and right (I don't have a center now). I can move up and down the various lines for more power, newer features or better prices.

But is there a reason to consider one brand over another? I am only really familiar with Yamaha, which I like, but I know their big thing is DSP modes and I don't like or use them. Does Denon or Onkyo have a similar "big thing" in another area?

Various people on the Internet tell me they sound different, but I am skeptical. If someone says Onkyo has fuller mids than Denon, that an EQ problem - either the Denon is not putting out enough in this range or the Onkyo is putting out too much. Distortion and noise floor matter, but all the mainstream brands seem acceptable.
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I have had Yamaha, Denon and Onkyo (Integra) over the years and, absent any DSP or tone controls, they have all sounded the same to me within their respective power capacity. I would choose by the feature set you find most compatible with your needs. If a room EQ is important to you, I'd go Denon (Audyssey)/Yamaha/Onkyo. But that's my preference. At the moment I have a nearly ten year old Yamaha RX-A1000, with zero reliability issues. When it comes time to change, Yamaha will remain on my short list, though Audyssey seems to be better than YPAO in my limited experience of each one.

Good luck.

Comment

• bvbellomo
      • Mar 2013

Room EQ isn't important, except maybe the sub. If I use, I will set it manually.

I am not looking for features. Ideally, I'd have something simple that takes a toslink and HDMI, 7.1 preouts and nothing else.

The NuForce AVP-18 comes close, not only is it really stretching my budget, it doesn't come with a warranty or support and there are lots of posts about reliability.

I am also considering something like a INTEGRA DHC-80.1 to get into separates.

Comment

• bvbellomo
        • Mar 2013

Reconsidering what I want (and have wanted in the past) I pulled the trigger on a $500 Anthem D1. So instead of getting newer technology and downgraded sound, I did exactly the opposite, going from a $1800 2010 receiver to a $5000 2004 preamp. If nothing else, this will be a learning experience.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"