X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mauro
    • Nov 2004

Yamaha or Denon

Can people of experience help me choose between Say Yamaha RXV750 and the Denon AVR 2805. I also demand excellent 2 ch sound read High Current.
    I've done alot of research and have found another question that people can solve, that is, on the denon they quote a power consumption fiqure of 290w total whereas on the Yammie its 440w. Now both quote power fiqures of 100w x 7.
    Quick calculation 100x7 =700w. Now add extra for amplifier and processing overhead. At the very least the power supply shoud be capable of 700w.
    From that example the yammie would be capable of louder sound since it would have a bigger Transformer and power caps going by the total consumption figure.

Thoughts most welcome
  • rotel_klipsch
    • Nov 2003

denon power rating

I've owned several Denon's and I concur with the 3rd party testing labs in that they can barely reach stated wattage with only 1 channel driven and reduce in power considerablely with the addiotional channels. Your evaulation is correct as it takes more power in to create more wattage out.
    Get the most BANG for your BUCK

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I also demand excellent 2 ch sound read High Current.
      Given that IMO you'd be better of looking at other brands. HK, Rotel, Arcam and Marantz would be where I'd lean if music is a priority.

As for the power consumption remember that its the onboard capacitors that feed the amps not the current from the wall so its not as clear cut as the power consumption divided by number of channels...that said you're right in that the very few receivers ever meet the numbers quoted for rated power when all channels are driven into an 8 ohm load at full bandwidth. The Rotels will and the HK's likely would as well but in both cases they're just honest upfront about their units true power output vs quoting an inflated number for marketing purposes.

Comment

• willbrosk
        • Sep 2004

I was recently faced with a simular decision and with the yamaha over the denon. What I would suggest is that you listen to both of them with the speakers that you are going to be using. I found that both recievers produce a different sound and it changes depending on the speaker. For example denon sounded better with paradigm than the yamaha, but the yamaha sounded better with B&W. Of course this was my opinion and since I like one type of sound more than another you should preview them on your own. If you decide on the yamaha spend the extra 50$(street anyway) and go with the 1500 over the 750 more power more clarity, less distortion.

On a side note; as andrew said there are tons of better recievers out there. If I had the money I would have gone with arcam seperates, but like most people just getting started I can only do so much at once. So you might want to consider resale value in what you buy because once you get started you likely want to upgrade in the future.

Comment

• Bam!
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2004

I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here...

Well for 2 channel sound and a Denon receiver...or Yamaha for that matter....well it all depends on what you are looking for in 2 channel sound.

If it is a mode on your receiver....then fine.
          If you want Nirvana.....uhmmm no it will not deliver....it will be delicio...yes as in the boxed pizza....as in no delivery.

I would have to say up your budget and go for the 1056....while it won't hit nirvana....it sure will kick any Denon in 2 channel sound.

Wattage for the Rotel is true in what they say....their 75 watts is more than Denon's 200 watts....

IMO Denon is sold in stores relatively "cheaply" hence if Joe 6 pack see's 7 * 100 watts....he pulls up his loose pants and starts being interested.
          The guy buying the Rotel....is usually more informed (price is higher hence Research usually involved) so they realize what wattage is true rather than inflated.
          Anyways....my 2 cents!
          Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Mauro
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by willbrosk
            I was recently faced with a simular decision and with the yamaha over the denon. What I would suggest is that you listen to both of them with the speakers that you are going to be using. I found that both recievers produce a different sound and it changes depending on the speaker. For example denon sounded better with paradigm than the yamaha, but the yamaha sounded better with B&W. Of course this was my opinion and since I like one type of sound more than another you should preview them on your own. If you decide on the yamaha spend the extra 50$(street anyway) and go with the 1500 over the 750 more power more clarity, less distortion.

On a side note; as andrew said there are tons of better recievers out there. If I had the money I would have gone with arcam seperates, but like most people just getting started I can only do so much at once. So you might want to consider resale value in what you buy because once you get started you likely want to upgrade in the future.
            Thanks for responding.
            What you say regarding trying ones own speakers is off course quite true although out of the question for me as I have a pair of Osborns(High end speakers using Focal drivers- available in the states although not well known) and they are very heavy to lug around. I have looked at the rxv1500 and it really only gives an extra 10watts or so, also the dsp chip on board is the YSS-930 where as on the Rxv950 its the YSS-948, go fiqure as the 1500 is never but has the older chip. Can you tell me what country your from because the $50 difference you state between the two models is amazing, here in Australia its alot more than that I assure you.

Comment

• willbrosk
              • Sep 2004

Well Im not sure what to tell you about not being able to preview them. Maybe one of the audiophiles can chime in on exactly what type of sound each produce. I can tell there is a difference but cant tell you exactly what it is.
              As far as pricing, I live in the U.S. and was able to find the yamaha 1500 online on sale for 508US(gopcplus.com) plus shipping. Now as far as I could tell the rxv-750 uses the 930dsp processor but the 948 bit stream decoder. Also I do not believe a higher number here is necesarily newer. If you look up the 740( 2 year old model) it was using a 938 dsp processor. Otherwise the main reason I picked the 1500 was a thd of .04, thx select and of course because I found a good deal.
              Since you have high end speakers you may want to consider a better unit anyway. You can find BK units used on ebay for like 1200 with a msrp of 3600. Alot of people like rotel for bang for buck. I found the highs muffled on the unit I heard, but that could have been the wires or just a bad speaker combo.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"