X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Ikea to sell home electronics???

In today's business section of the newspaper, Ikea is to start selling home audio/video electronics!!!. ACK!!. Talk about bringing more "Cracker Jack" audio crapola into society!!!

Jezzus......people will buy it too !!! 8O
    Dan Madden :T
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

BAAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! :rofl:

Actually, come to think of it, if they sell Monster and Bose, it'll be the perfect trifecta of crap!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Here's their TV add:

[YOUTUBE]0Nm7-EuctOs[/YOUTUBE]

Just another one stop shop. Margins must be pretty good for them to go this route.

So imagine opening the box to assemble your new TV, with the LCD panel, motherboard, and other electronics all baggied up. :rofl: I'd like to see those graphic instructions.

And they will get you on the assembly charge to actually put the TV together.
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

So....they aren't just selling TV's they are making them?

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

I'm sure they'll sell tons of em
          -Chuck

Comment

• mjb
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

The new furniture range, named UPPLEVA, the Swedish word for experience, integrates an LED TV, a sound system with wireless bass speakers, an internet connection and CD, DVD and Blu-ray players – all in one self-assembly piece.

Although the TV and the other electronics are made by Chinese manufacturer TCL, IKEA has built everything around them, hiding the masses of cables that can be a nuisance and make a living room look shabby.

IKEA and TCL have combined all the controls into a single remote. The furniture surface is especially designed to allow the remote's signals through, so the devices can remain hidden from view.

The TV screens are available in four different sizes, from 24 inches to 46 inches, and in a range of colors including gray, black and blue. Users are also able to plug in their iPods or other MP3 music players.
            More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...furniture.html
            - Mike

Main System:
            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

:roll: ACK !!!.....they'll sell millions!!!! 8O

Comment

• impala454
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2007

I watched the commercial, and am trying to figure out how the bass module is completely wireless. Surely it's not run on batteries.
                -Chuck

Comment

• Face
                  • Mar 2007

Wireless, as in no line level cable. Polk and a few others have had wireless(Wifi) subs for a few years now.
                  SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Face
                    Wireless, as in no line level cable. Polk and a few others have had wireless(Wifi) subs for a few years now.

ACK!!.....I don't think that's a good idea sonically!! :roll:

Comment

• impala454
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Face
                      That's what I figured, but I still think it's rather misleading to show it without a power cable in the commercial.
                      -Chuck

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Think it's too late to buy some IKEA stock? :lol:
                        Jason

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

I liked the commercial, I'm sold. Do they take trade ins? Sonus faber, Lexicon, Levinson, Proceed, Samsung 59" plasma, front projection. I figure I shouldn't have to pay over a few hundred difference...
                          Doug
                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• madmac
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Lex
                            I liked the commercial, I'm sold. Do they take trade ins? Sonus faber, Lexicon, Levinson, Proceed, Samsung 59" plasma, front projection. I figure I shouldn't have to pay over a few hundred difference...
                            If you brought them in, they would probably go Ahh??.....What's that old crap.....I'll pass!!!......Give me the new Ikea stuff !!! Hehehe :rofl:

Comment

• PewterTA
                              • Nov 2004

Am I the only one that really doesn't care for IKEA for furniture because it all seems soooooo cheaply made?? I mean some of the "asthetics" of the pieces are nice, but when you look at everything it's really thin and flimsy and just well junk...

Makes me wonder how cheaply their electronics are going to be...because their cheaply built products aren't "cheap" to buy...
                              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                              -Dan

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Nope, you're definitely not the only one, Pewter. When I lived in Europe, at first I thought IKEA was going to be the best thing ever, and we scheduled a special trip to the nearest IKEA store. It only took 1-2 visits for me to come to the complete conclusion that 95% of the stuff in store is nothing but cheap, Nuvo-Euro style crap, usually in tacky colors and material. We did find a few items worth buying, but even that stuff I've sold off since then.

I went back to our home through Denver recently, and they've built this *huge* IKEA store just off the highway. I couldn't think of anything looking more tacky, in a hugely populated and trafficked area. It's this massive building, in garish blue and yellow, with this gargantuan oversized IKEA sign. There's even huge "entrance" and "exit" signs, which you could probably see from Kansas. I heard that they had to get special legal exemption to build signs that big in Denver. I have no idea why Denver let them do it. It makes the entire area look so terrible.
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
                                  Nope, you're definitely not the only one, Pewter. When I lived in Europe, at first I thought IKEA was going to be the best thing ever, and we scheduled a special trip to the nearest IKEA store. It only took 1-2 visits for me to come to the complete conclusion that 95% of the stuff in store is nothing but cheap, Nuvo-Euro style crap, usually in tacky colors and material. We did find a few items worth buying, but even that stuff I've sold off since then.

I went back to our home through Denver recently, and they've built this *huge* IKEA store just off the highway. I couldn't think of anything looking more tacky, in a hugely populated and trafficked area. It's this massive building, in garish blue and yellow, with this gargantuan oversized IKEA sign. There's even huge "entrance" and "exit" signs, which you could probably see from Kansas. I heard that they had to get special legal exemption to build signs that big in Denver. I have no idea why Denver let them do it. It makes the entire area look so terrible.

The huge Entrance and Exit signs are because people are expected to go into there like cattle. You must go in and follow the cattle path. There is practically no way outta' there unless you follow the cattle path and do the tour. Last time I went into there, I wanted to leave and couldn't find my way out because I did a bad thing and deviated from the cattle path. Horrible place. Never going back!!. 8O

Comment

• PewterTA
                                    • Nov 2004

Actually I'm pretty sure if the Entrance and Exit's aren't that big that most people wouldn't know which way to enter.......... :/

I agree there's some interesting things there...but on the whole to me their quality is not anything above what you'd get at walmart.

Not saying that, that's bad... I just don't understand why people think "OMG you got that at IKEA, it's UNBELIEVEABLE!"

At least I don't feel like the only one now! lol
                                    -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

Actually...I've gotten furniture at Walmart that was better quality then some of the stuff from Ikea.

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

mac, you're totally right. I had forgotten about that thing where there's one big long maze path through the store, and if you get stuck in the back corner and want out, or want to go back to section B to see that table again, well, tough luck.

Pewter, honestly I think it's because it's European. Americans seem to have this thing (I won't presume to speak for other nationalities) where we think everything about Europe is quaint, progressive, and perfect, SO much better than any local stuff or system, and we should aspire to be everything European.
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Apr 2001

I viewed their site one day Pewter, and it didn't really do it for me. Of course, I have more furniture than I have room for, so I'm not a good prospect for them anyway. But generally, yeah, a bit cheap looking overall. With my Manhatten leather, and Benchwright dining room stuff, I seriously don't think they can help me. heh. For audio? I don't think so. :-)
                                          Doug
                                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• BirdRider
                                            • Apr 2012

Meh, It'll just make my stuff sound that much better.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                              • Nov 2004

Doug... you can feel free to send furniture this way... I got room to "store" it for you!

If a couple cables happen to be "in-between-the-cushions" I will make sure those are taken good care of too! :rofl:
                                              -Dan

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"