X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

How NOT to sell a projector

Yesterday I was in a local Best Buy for a bit while running some errands. I went in to take a look at some DLP RPTVs to see if the rainbow effect that I found so objectionable on my wife's office projector was a problem for me with ANY DLP device or just that projector. Well, after looking at 5 different TVs (1080p and 720p--3 Samsung, 2 Toshiba), I saw no rainbows. That widens my options (always a good thing).

While I was there, I asked a sales guy if there were any projectors for sale, other than the business ones in the computer accessory section and he said yes. His enthusiasm for my question, however, was about on the level one would expect if one was told he had 3 days to live. He looked at me like I was a refugee from a pre-industrial age. He asked me "Why not a TV?" to which I replied price to screen size ratio, for starters. Before I could continue, he ''informed'' me that the picture quality was quite inferior from a projector (in a tone that suggested anyone with a single digit IQ and up already knows this). When I told him I'd already tried (as well as seen in other places) using a projector and I found the picture acceptable (if it wasn't for the rainbows, I'd be happy with the PQ of the borrowed projector I have at the moment), his tone changed from one of contempt to one of pity. I asked if they had any projectors for sale and he pulled a list out but only offered one of the ten or so on the list--the Hitachi PJTX100 at the best price I've seen in Canada, stores and websites included. But he dismissed it as beneath consideration. I then asked if he had any set up on display, and he did--the PJTX200, as it happens. He said it was on a small screen. I anticipated, for a store, that a small screen would be about the size I'm considering for my basement (65'' diagonal or so). But no, not quite. The small screen was a full TWELVE inches diagonal :rofl: . (oh well, at least it was a 16:9 screen :roll: )

Had I had the time, I would have sought out the manager and explained how his "sales" person clearly wasn't interested in actually selling to a customer. When I was in grad school, I sold cars to pay for tuition and sometimes I had to sell models I didn't think were all that great (though I worked for a reputable dealer and we didn't sell lemons--I wouldn't have done it) but that customers wanted. I would gently explore why they wanted that model and, if there were doubts, I would steer them to something I thought was more appropriate. But I would never treat them like morons for liking what they liked. So, despite the great price, and despite his claim that it was the last one they had, I simply went about my other errands. Perhaps, after I purchase a projector elsewhere, I'll go back and have a chat with the manager. Not very impressive.
  • draganm
    • Jul 2005

well based on upon the projected images I have seen in those places I can fully understand why he loathes them. the DLP's/LCD's in chain stores looked truly atrocious and I couldn't watch them for more than a minute before feeling nauseous. The same is true for the TV's but to a lesser degree. I don't think the guy was intending to be unhelpful, it's just that the people they hire to work in those places for minimum wage are totally clue-less.
    The picture in a well set-up HT on a 120" screen should easilly outperform even a good local cinema. I know the pic in my HT is amazing, I sit 9 feet back from a 92" X 45" screen so I am very picky about what i'm seeing.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

True, disappointing. draganm brings up a good point, that if you try to show a projector image in a normally full-lit store, it's going to look dim and like crap.

But go back and ask the guy why movie theaters use front projections, if it's truly so horrible. Should we all be sitting in theaters, watching a TV then?
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Dean McManis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • May 2003

For years I've seen plasma displays pushed by AV salesmen, and front projectors dismissed. And this was originally when plasma displays looked marginal.
        But besides the clear issues of lighting control in a open warehouse area setting, I believe that the driving point for these guys is profit margin.

Even though LCD and plasma displays have been dropping in price, they still have a much larger profit margin compared to front projectors. The exceptions are the more pricey Sharp, Runco and a few other $$ brands, which you will see readily supported by HT installers.

Ovation,

Even though it's getting harder to find quality AV stores that properly demo front projectors, they can usually be found, and are worth the trip to see a FPTV with total room light control and a quality input HD or DVD source in real life.

Comment

• peterS
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

they are trained to say that
          best buy doesn't want to give up the floor space to display them

i never saw one sell for the year i worked there
          one did get stolen though
          so you can see its an unprofitable business lol

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Peter, you don't work there anymore?
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• peterS
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

not for a year

Comment

• draganm
                • Jul 2005

don't go back, there's no intelligent life there :B

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

funny, I'd read enough right here-

Yesterday I was in a local Best Buy
                  They are truly not in the projector biz as far as I know, unless you know what you want in advance, and it's on the shelf. budget projector, get the box and go.
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Marzen
                    • Jul 2005

My local BB has their Magnolia Theater room with a modest ~48 inch screen and their high end receivers. It's very well lit with overhead fluorescent lighting and located in it's own segregated 'private room'. For some reason it doesn't have that "special" feel to it like I get in the vip section at the Crazy Horse Platinum men's club... or even the regular seating area for that matter.
                    After stopping by on Friday, I will say this... a salesmen greeted me in the Blu-Ray section and made some suggestions based on Tier Level ratings of the movie xfers. I asked if he was familiar with AVS and he said he was a member.
                    We bumped fists and said "Oh Yeah" and went on our separate ways.
                    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• peterS
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2005

^ the magnolias have scaled down a lot
                      not that it was that great to begin with but now its just BB sales men who kind of know what they are talking about with some denon (most of the good stuff gone, and definitive, vienna (why i dont know) and a few high end tvs

when i lived in minneapolis magnolia had significantly better brand selection not to mention better selection of those brands.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"