Which electronics should I get with my B&W speakers?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

This is a common question among HT and Two Channel aficionado’s as well as newbie’s alike. The purpose of this thread is to give people a place to start when considering electronics to be paired with B&W Speakers of all ranges.
    The objective of this thread is to allow a reader to easily identify a range of speakers he or she is considering, and assist to identify a handful of options that members of this forum believe optimize the sound quality and value of the B&W sound.

Scope
    In attempt to keep this thread from becoming too cumbersome, electronics will be paired with speaker models based on relative proportion to the investment. This does not mean that results will not vary quality of the outcome in a disproportionate system. It is just an attempt to give all readers a place to start. Because CE companies have their own product to price range, it is difficult to cover all of the models, so product descriptions will be kept to a summary of the company. Some recommendations might be made, but some models might be left out. Please work with your dealers to evaluate further the different models within the line.

It is important to keep the readers’ attention, this thread will also focus on summarizing the benefits of a particular electronic, based solely on its own merits. If the reader is looking for reviews, or further information, we suggest you use the search feature of the forum, or post a new thread. CE companies offer many different options.

At this time, this thread will also only focus on Pre/Pro’s, Receivers, and amplifiers. CDP’s, DVD players, and other electronics are outside the scope of this thread. Please do not expect mention of cables in this thread. This forum is hosted from the proceeds of CAT Cables. Regardless of which cables forum members are using, it is important to respect the rules of the forum, and all cable recommendations will point to CAT Cables. It is the responsibility of the reader to do his or her own research in this category.

What next?
    The next step in the process of choosing electronics is to locate dealers who sell these items. You will find that most shops may only carry one or two of the brands recommended. You may even find that some of these products are not available in your city. How to proceed will be a judgment call that you will have to make. An in store demo can be very nice in helping to select a product, but it is highly recommended to request a dealer to allow an in-home demo. Most dealers will accommodate this, but store policies may vary.

It has been the experience of many forum members that it is important to create a relationship with your dealer. They are educated in the models they carry, and will not only help you in your decisions, but most will provide discounts off of list price as well as provide flexibility on store policies. A good dealer will be focused on your needs, and not the sale. They understand the sale will come naturally and all parties will be happy. It helps them to foster repeat business.

Help us grow!
    I urge everyone to help make this an informative thread and contribute. I will maintain the master thread, unless someone wishes to take it over. Remember, we love to see your system as it grows! Be sure and contribute pictures to our gallery as you add new items. The is no system that is too big or too small!

Disclaimer
    This thread respects the opinions of all readers, and hopes to maintain a subjective view of the various brands of electronics that are available on the market.
    Last edited by sikoniko; 04 September 2008, 13:41 Thursday.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • merlinus
    • Feb 2008

B&W 600 Series

I am running a Classe CA-5100 amp (100 wpc) and have an SSP-800 on order. I am using an NHT processor at the moment, on loan until the 800 is available.

Front L/R are 683, center is HTM-61 and sub is ASW-610.

Surrounds are my former fronts, Boston T930 Series II.
    merlin

Comment

• george_k
      • Jan 2004

Good idea,

I just added an MA6900 to my 703's the addition has made me reconsider my initial decision to return these speakers to the dealer. I had them paired with NAD electronics before and they worked well together however the forwardness of the 703 together with the rest of my electronics caused my ears to fatigue when playing certain music (especially the poorly recorded type). My system was too clinically revealing.

Upon adding the 6900 the fatigue went away, bass increased substantially, sound stage expanded and detail became more apparent everything else in my system has remained the same.

It's on this basis that I vote for the 6900

B&W 700 Series
      McIntosh MA6900

Comment

• btf1980
        • Aug 2007

I currently have a CM based set-up. CM7 and CMC up front and CM1's for rears. I replaced a PV1 with a REL T2 sub. Despite being half the price of the PV1, I think it is better. Much more musical to me. As far as electronics, I have a Marantz SR-7002 being used as a pre-amp only, replaced Rotel RSP 1069. Amp is the Rotel RMB-1075.

Sources are as follows

McIntosh MCD201 (On loan...might keep this to replace the Oppo and Rotel below)
        Rotel RCD 1072
        Oppo DV-981HD
        PS3
        A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Minardi2
          • May 2007

I've got Krell electronics and B&W speakers in both my HT system and two channel system. So I'd be willing to write something up for either or both aspects. Obviously it would only relate to the gear I own which ranges from N802s, to 803s on the speaker side, to Showcase and FPB series electronics. But I am familiar with what each brand brings to the table. So let me know if you need something and I'll do what I can.

Comment

• scanido
            • Apr 2006

I second and third the McIntosh brand for B&W 800/700 series. The smooth, silky character of this brand matches phenomenally well with the aluminum dome tweeters of this speaker range. The combo provides great detail, yet is easy to listen to for great lengths of time.

I am running a McIntosh MC205 on 803S, HTM3S.

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Merlinus, if you don't mind, can you write a brief write-up on how you feel the CA-5100 add's value to the 600 line. highlighting what you feel makes it unique on its own merits, and not mentioning other brands?

george k, do you mind doing the same for Mc' on the 700 series?

btf1980, I'm not sure if we want to get into source's at this point, but we can if the concensus believes it adds value. Would you mind writing up on your Rotel though? That community needs a voice!

Minardi, you have Krell and 800's.

scanido, you have Mc' and 800's.

We should format these in a way that are adaptable and flexible to the different products within the electronic manufacturers line, without over-inundating the reader. Just because the above have offered to help, doesn't mean others can't or shouldn't contribute to the same sections.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Sikoniko,

Good idea. I have make the thread sticky to see if it "gets legs"

Geoff

Comment

• ShadowZA
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Excellent! Imho this a thread that we can all benefit from.

I'm driving a front end (803D's & HTM2D) using Krell KAV-3250 amplification & the surrounds (N804's - not 804S's) using Krell KAV-2250 amplification. Processor is the Krell Showcase. Sub is a Velodyne DD15.

For critical listening (dominant passion) I'm using the Meridian 808 signature reference CD player. For Std definition DVD movies (I have not yet upgraded to Blu-ray yet - on the cards though), I'm using a Marantz DV-7600 universal player.

Now, I can only offer a limited opinion due to my present setup being upgraded from Rotel processor & amplification using the N804's as fronts & the old CM speaker range as centre & surrounds plus carpeting the front wall & new woollen carpeting as flooring. Too many changes to be able to objectively opinionate on and analytically dissect the proportionate details that contribute to the overall upgrade in sound.

I also can not comment or speculate on how different electonics may sound in this room as I have neither tried out, nor changed anything.

What I can mention is that, compared to my previous setup, the sound that I hear from a well recorded source is detailed and full bodied ... pleasurable and intoxicating.
                  When the 808 is playing, sound passes through the Krell pre-amp section of the processor to the power amps. I have chosen not to utilise the processor and include the sub for critical listening and so the sub is always off when playing the 808. I have the 808 set to "fixed" (such that the volume is controlled via the Krell processor) as opposed to having it set to "variable" which would mean that one would control the volume via the 808 & the balanced analogue outs would then feed directly to the power amp. I would prefer to run the 808 directly through to power amps but cannot due to practicalities - only have one room for music + theatre duties.

Other info is that the 803D's are 28" from the carpeted wall (measured from the front of the speaker). My opinion is that there could be improvement in critical 2 channel sound if I could move the 803D's another say 6" forward plus remove the equipment rack which is located between them. It is not a perfect world and I accept that ... rather reluctantly when it comes to critical music listening I have to admit.

My future upgrade plans, which are not cast in stone, include:

Speakers: Fronts to 802D or 800D & moving 803D's to surround duty.
                  Processor & Amplification: Krell Evo line
                  Source: Blu-ray player

Factors influencing my next upgrade decision:

Sufficient well recorded blu-ray source material.
                  Electrical power requirements: Here in ZA we are going through power shortages & outages & the saving of power might have to take precedence. The Krell KAV amps are not shy in drawing power. I may need to stick with these. My opinion at this time is that the 802D's can live with the KAV's but the 800D's would be better paired with an amp upgrade to enable them to perform at their very best.
                  Last edited by ShadowZA; 21 March 2008, 08:10 Friday. Reason: Spelling correction

Comment

• Chatterbot
                    • Apr 2006

Hi, very good idea 8)

I am powering my 803S with an Accuphase integrated Amp (E308 ).
                    I have not heard this precision in bass with other amps (well, that would be about 10-12 ops: )

directly compared to e.g. a Classé or T&A V10 I have to mention, that the music put out
                    of this amp may be a little *harsh* in someone´s ears...

Just my 2 cents..

Cheers,
                    Guenther

Comment

• rodH
                      • Aug 2002

I am running Mc Equipt with B&W. Was running Rotel, then Rotel with Marsh, now all Mac, the sound is amazing.

Pre/Pro-MX132
                      Mains=MC150-->N804
                      Center and Rears=MC7205-->HTM2 (bi-amped)

The Mc makes the sound so smooth and musical.

Comment

• joetama
                        • May 2006

I have 703 and am running a RSP-1098 and a RB-1080.

Very solid combination in my opinion. I am sure that I could easily get more sound out of it using Classe, McIntosh, or even Bryston equipment. But, for the price I think it is a VERY solid combination. I have always felt that B&W and Rotel go together pretty nicely. Do I want to upgrade some day, absolutely. What will I look at? Classe, McIntosh, or the many many other choices, but those will be my main two considerations. Unless there is some kind of revelation in audio which I am missing.

Just my opinion...
                        -Joe

Comment

• Tommy
                          • Dec 2006

I have McIntosh MVP871 with B&W 850S.

I love McIntosh with B&W. When I was using Marantz SA8260 as a source before, I couldn't listen for more than 30 minutes. Sometimes I wouldn't want to listen for weeks because I know I'll get fatigued after 30 minutes.
                          This all changed after I upgraded to McIntosh source, I can listen to music hours at a time. I listen to music everyday now. The only limit is that I have to study (I'm still a student), otherwise, I would listen more.
                          Oh and btw, I rarely watch TV now that I have my McIntosh.

Comment

• Nolan B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2005

B&W FPMs

Few will likely get these speakers compared to others but in case someone does here is what I have had with them and have currrently.

Rotel 1067 - worked great

Rotel 1069/RMB 1077 - Took the seakers to the next level over the 1067 which made me understand there were more to the speakers then I orginally thought.

The FPMs are similar in quality to the 600 series so in the end with the 1077 my gut tells me I can get much more from the amp with better speakers.
                            Last edited by Nolan B; 11 May 2008, 12:27 Sunday.

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                              • Apr 2005

Well I am running 802Ds with the Denon AVP-A1HD and POA-A1HD. At the moment I am running the POA in stereo until I decide what I want for the surrounds and centre. The POA is configured in balanced bridged mode and is also bi-amped - in other words 4 150w amps per channel. The AVP and POA are both fully balanced designs.

This configuration yields incredible results from the 802Ds. The bass is just outstanding, and the midrange as smooth as silk. The highs from the diamonds are crystal clear.

This is a different approach to others, and I understand that Denon is not perceived as high end, but I have heard the 800 series speakers with Classe and while I liked the sound allot, I still prefer the warm and smooth sound that the Denon creates.

Comment

• btf1980
                                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                btf1980, I'm not sure if we want to get into source's at this point, but we can if the concensus believes it adds value. Would you mind writing up on your Rotel though? That community needs a voice!
                                Sure, if you need me to, I will, anything to help out.

Comment

• dknightd
                                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by joetama
                                  I have 703 and am running a RSP-1098 and a RB-1080.

Very solid combination in my opinion. I am sure that I could easily get more sound out of it using Classe, McIntosh, or even Bryston equipment. But, for the price I think it is a VERY solid combination. I have always felt that B&W and Rotel go together pretty nicely. Do I want to upgrade some day, absolutely. What will I look at? Classe, McIntosh, or the many many other choices, but those will be my main two considerations. Unless there is some kind of revelation in audio which I am missing.

Just my opinion...
                                  I agree with this.

I happen to use an Adcom GFA-5500 with my 703's.
                                  Explore and buy authentic ADCOM amplifiers at our official e-commerce shop. Discover high-quality audio equipment, browse various models, and enhance your audio experience.

It has similar capabliities to the rotel 1080 and costs about the same. The 5500 has clip indicator lights which can be handy if you have guests and drink. But I bought it primarily because I found a used one locally.
                                  Another amp on my short list was the Odyssey Stratos. http://www.odysseyaudio.com/stratos.html

The 703's current demands are about the same as the 804s. They require an amplifier that can deliver current when called upon. If you buy an amp that cannot deliver current as needed the speakers tend to sound thin and harsh.

Comment

• Mig17
                                    • Jan 2008

:Z Wow **why you replace the 1069 so soon
                                    even it is so new* model

Originally posted by btf1980
                                    I currently have a CM based set-up. CM7 and CMC up front and CM1's for rears. I replaced a PV1 with a REL T2 sub. Despite being half the price of the PV1, I think it is better. Much more musical to me. As far as electronics, I have a Marantz SR-7002 being used as a pre-amp only, replaced Rotel RSP 1069. Amp is the Rotel RMB-1075.

Sources are as follows

McIntosh MCD201 (On loan...might keep this to replace the Oppo and Rotel below)
                                    Rotel RCD 1072
                                    Oppo DV-981HD
                                    PS3

Comment

• btf1980
                                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Mig17
                                      :Z Wow **why you replace the 1069 so soon
                                      even it is so new* model
                                      Simple, the Marantz does everything the 1069 does and more for half the price. Some people might disagree, but I had them both at the same time and those were my findings.

Comment

• ssabripo
                                        • Dec 2005

I'll be the odd ball here:

Pre/pro
                                        Proceed/Mark Levinson for Pre-processing. I'm currently using the Proceed AVP2+6, which is basically a mini Mark Levinson no. 40....it is simply a processor without peer in the sub $10k category. It lacks some of the more advanced codecs such as DTS:neo6, or DTS ES, etc, and it also does not support the new audio formats (truHD, DTS-MA, etc). However, in terms of 2-channel, and multi-channel analog ins, as well as DD, DTS (both with THX ultra2 post processing), it is quite simply the most transparent and accurate processor I've heard.

some reviews on how this piece stacks up against some of the competition:

amplification
                                        While I've heard several amps with both the Nautilus 800' line, as well as the current 800' D line, some of them which matched very well (like the Classe amps), none of them matched the acoustic signature produced by the Pass Labs X-series....in particular, the Pass Labs X600 and X600.5 line.

Admittedly, I'm currently running a Cinenova Grande 5 multi-channel amp, which is a behemoth and does a very good job, it falls waaaay short of what these pass lab amplifiers do. We all know the 800 line require LOTS of clean power, and the X-series provide power reserves with extremely low THD+N and no added coloration to the sound.

simply put, I've yet to hear any Krell, Classe, McIntosh, Sim Moon, etc, amplifier that performs as superbly as the Pass Labs with the BMW 800 line!
                                        My simple HT setup
                                        4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• Captain Reg
                                          • Mar 2008

Using a NAD M3 Integrated Amp (180wpc) with my B&W 683's. My CD transport is the matching NAD M5.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

804S

Naim 5x and flatcap power supply 'cos it has a nice energetic rythmic sound and you can open the tray door in a power cut and use the puck as a fridge magnet when not playing CDs. It also shares with B&W a UK heritage.

Conrad Johnson CA200 because it has sufficient grunt and and excess of finesse to make the most of the 804s capabilities.

Synergy - well I have no complaints. Might not be the system for playing "Never Mind the Bollocks" by the sex pistols (too polite) but it provides great listening pleasure with everything else I throw at it.
                                            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• sikoniko
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                              804S
                                              Synergy - well I have no complaints. Might not be the system for playing "Never Mind the Bollocks" by the sex pistols (too polite) but it provides great listening pleasure with everything else I throw at it.
                                              Come on now, I'm sure your system highlights the cracking in Johnny's voice nicely! What amazes me is that they are living off that 1 album and still able to keep a career from it! Most bands dont make any money on their first album... they use that to pay back their debt to the label... Don't get me wrong, this album was responsible for my hyper youth!

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Aug 2003

While I appreciate everyone enthusiasm to contribute, I'm not sure if I am seeing the kind of thing we need. I don't want to do pictures and long reviews on products. I want to do a short paragraph on the company that is enough to say we recommend this brand electronic with this speaker range and here is why.

We can do individual threads that go into detail and whatnot on individual brands. I just want this to be a quick-start-guide/template for everyone.

I'm working with someone offline to put something together that we can use as an example of what I think we should do. Once we have that, we can use that as a living model, that we can all decide if we find value in or not.

Comment

• ssabripo
                                                  • Dec 2005

While I appreciate everyone enthusiasm to contribute, I'm not sure if I am seeing the kind of thing we need. I don't want to do pictures and long reviews on products. I want to do a short paragraph on the company that is enough to say we recommend this brand electronic with this speaker range and here is why.

We can do individual threads that go into detail and whatnot on individual brands. I just want this to be a quick-start-guide/template for everyone.

I'm working with someone offline to put something together that we can use as an example of what I think we should do. Once we have that, we can use that as a living model, that we can all decide if we find value in or not.
                                                  i agree and I look forward to it.

however, part of the reason for the recommendation I made is that most of us use the big three (Classe, Krell, McIntosh) as our "electronics for our B&W speakers" is because not only do they sound well together, but also because that is what most people tend to buy given what others have or have used.

the reason for posting the Mark Levinson/Proceed and Pass Labs suggestion into the mix, is that although it is not nearly a common a combination used, it has surpassed the subjective impressions many of us who have listened to them have realized, as compared to the big 3.

just some food for thought. :T
                                                  My simple HT setup
                                                  4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by ssabripo
                                                    I'll be the odd ball here:
                                                    simply put, I've yet to hear any Krell, Classe, McIntosh, Sim Moon, etc, amplifier that performs as superbly as the Pass Labs with the BMW 800 line!
                                                    I'm struggling with this. There are a lot of great companies out there, and we can't mention them all. Another few that comes to mind that couldnt be missed would be Chord and some might want Ayre, Halco, Bryston, etc.

What I am thinking of doing is a survey to see what most people use per speaker line. Then listing the top 3-5 and creating an 'other' section that lists notable mentions.

How does everyone feel about that?

After all, this is our forum. Shouldnt we state what the majority of us are using?

Comment

• Minardi2
                                                      • May 2007

If you still want a write up of Krell with B&W stuff, let me know. Honestly I sort of forgot about doing one, but can if you (we) think it will help.

Comment

• Luke Skywalker
                                                        • Apr 2007

I have 703 and am running a Yaqin "MC-100B" integrated amplifier, and I like :T

"Luke Skywalker Experience"

"Luke Skywalker photos"

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2003

I'm struggling with this. There are a lot of great companies out there, and we can't mention them all. Another few that comes to mind that couldnt be missed would be Chord and some might want Ayre, Halco, Bryston, etc.

What I am thinking of doing is a survey to see what most people use per speaker line. Then listing the top 3-5 and creating an 'other' section that lists notable mentions.

How does everyone feel about that?

After all, this is our forum. Shouldnt we state what the majority of us are using?
                                                          Sikoniko,

I think the posts to date give an indication of the true variety of the amps people use for driving their B&Ws and the range of opinions on what is right... We can never even get concensus amongst the high end amps like Krell, Classe, Macintosh etc as to what is best or even how they sound!!!!

I like the idead of encouraging some mini-reviews etc. However I suspect that in reality this will become a long interesting threads of personal opinion as to what is right. And (as with all such threads) readers can search through and get ideas and form opinions. Which is probably still very useful.

If we happen to get some good reviews or concensus forming - I am happy to use my Moderator facilties to put that information at the top of the thread or whatever works (especially if edited up into a consolidated format)...

Geoff

Comment

• joetama
                                                            • May 2006

I recently installed as a test a H|H Audio V800 amplifier replacing my Rotel RB-1080 on my B&W 703.

All I can says is WOW... This amplifier blows my RB-1080 out of the water, all be its still a great amplifier. The dynamic range, clarity, and ability to reproduce subtle things in the background that I have never heard is amazing. It is the same output power at 8 ohms as the RB-1080. The only down fall is that it picked up a hum coming in from my cable vision. After finally getting smart and running the Cable/Modem through my APC conditioner I have no more hum. Also, this thing is old and beat up looking.

-Joe

Comment

• wettou
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • May 2006

If you like digital amps try BelCanto

Last edited by wettou; 12 April 2008, 19:01 Saturday.
                                                              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Dan White
                                                                • Sep 2005

Do you think MC 205 will be enough of an amp for my 802d?

Comment

• wettou
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2006

Give a try to the latest Yamaha RX-Z11 very nice
                                                                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• wettou
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Mark-n-b
                                                                    Well I am running 802Ds with the Denon AVP-A1HD and POA-A1HD. At the moment I am running the POA in stereo until I decide what I want for the surrounds and centre. The POA is configured in balanced bridged mode and is also bi-amped - in other words 4 150w amps per channel. The AVP and POA are both fully balanced designs.

This configuration yields incredible results from the 802Ds. The bass is just outstanding, and the midrange as smooth as silk. The highs from the diamonds are crystal clear.

This is a different approach to others, and I understand that Denon is not perceived as high end, but I have heard the 800 series speakers with Classe and while I liked the sound allot, I still prefer the warm and smooth sound that the Denon creates.
                                                                    Most interesting does the Audyssey makes a difference, I am looking at the Classé SSP-800 but also considering the Denon!
                                                                    I have three 802D and two 802 to drive so I need a ton of power, Now I use the CA-5200 and am looking to add an other one

Comment

• michaeld53
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Apr 2008

McIntosh 6500

Just arranged for the purchase of a used MA 6500 off of Audiogon.

I'll let you know what I think. I'm currently using an old Yamaha RX 550 Natural Sound receiver. Likely to sound better. I'm pleased because I can run two sets of speakers off the 6500. I have 683's in the living room and DM 603 S3 in a sitting room.

My first McIntosh. I'm thrilled.

:lol:

Comment

• Tommy
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by michaeld53
                                                                        Just arranged for the purchase of a used MA 6500 off of Audiogon.

I'll let you know what I think. I'm currently using an old Yamaha RX 550 Natural Sound receiver. Likely to sound better. I'm pleased because I can run two sets of speakers off the 6500. I have 683's in the living room and DM 603 S3 in a sitting room.

My first McIntosh. I'm thrilled.

:lol:
                                                                        Congrats! you will be pleased :T

Comment

• wettou
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                          • 3389

Let us know how it sounds! Enjoy

Comment

• Shyamalan
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Sep 2006
                                                                            • 55

Which amp do you recomend me to drive the 804?
                                                                            Can you tell me a classe amp and its price who mach fine with the 804?

Thank you very much.

Comment

• cug
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jan 2008
                                                                              • 286

#39
                                                                              The CAP-2100 or the CA-2100 match very nicely with the 804S despite the fact that they have "only" 100W. But actually these 100W are really there (even more, because Classé does conservative ratings) and up to the task of driving even hard to handle speakers.

My personal opinion is, that they are "a bit" on the expensive side for what you get, I think you can get the same sound quality for a much lower price, but Classé is definitely great.

I got a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated and it drives my 804S beautifully well.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2006
                                                                                • 3389

#40
                                                                                Classé CA-2100 are very nice but pricey.

Comment

• Shyamalan
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2006
                                                                                  • 55

#41
                                                                                  How much cost the CA-2100?
                                                                                  And which amp do you recomend me if I wanted to drive 5 channels?
                                                                                  Thank you

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2006
                                                                                    • 3389

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Shyamalan
                                                                                    How much does the CA-2100 cost? And which amp do you recommend, if I wanted to drive 5 channels? Thank you
                                                                                    Here is the price list for Classé in the US:

Amplifiers:

CA-2100 $4,000
                                                                                    CA-2200 $5,500 2x200W
                                                                                    CA-3100 $6,500 3x200W
                                                                                    CA-5100 $5,500 5x100W
                                                                                    CA-5200 $9,000 5x200W
                                                                                    CA-M400 $5,500 400W Monaural Amplifier

Enjoy

Comment

• Marco Lisi
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • May 2008
                                                                                      • 84

#43
                                                                                      Here's my shortlist of favorites:

Pass X350.5 or Elektrocompaniet AW400 on 802D
                                                                                      Outstanding control, powerfull, full sound, great body, open, airy, smooth, natural...

Pass X600.5 on 800D
                                                                                      I would love to try the X1000.5 one day...

Pass XA.5-series don't match as well as the X.5 series. In my opinion they lack absolute power and sound too smooth (on the B&W's ofcourse).

:T
                                                                                      Diamond Room
                                                                                      Acoustical treated room with reference 7.3 av system

Comment

• kmcheng
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jan 2008
                                                                                        • 253

#44
                                                                                        Bel Canto S300I and B&W 805S

Originally posted by wettou
                                                                                        If you like digital amps try BelCanto

http://www.belcantodesign.com/prodmain_amps.html
                                                                                        I have my 805S powered by the Bel Canto S300I and love what I hear so far: very clean sound, tight bass. Dynamics comes and goes effortlessly. Give it a try! I think it is a relative bargain in the used market.

Comment

• htsteve
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2004
                                                                                          • 1216

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Dan White
                                                                                          Do you think MC 205 will be enough of an amp for my 802d?

Dan White,

In short, yes. Unless you have the 802d's in a really big room. I have the MC205 driving the 802D's as well as the HTM2D and N804's in a medium sized room. The performance of the Mac is outstanding. I excels in every area: clarity, bass, dynamics and subtle passages. Another thing I really enjoy is the layers of sound that are present.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"