Which electronics should I get with my B&W speakers?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

A 200w receiver won't cause trouble for your centre and surrounds.

Stereo/surround amplification that you ask about is when one has a stereo system for 2 channel, which probably sounds better with music than the HT components, being fed via the pre outs of the AVR for when you want to watch a film etc. You set the stereo pre amp to HT bypass for that input so it doesn't affect volume so you just control volume on the AVR when using surround. That's how mine is setup

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• donkimizer
      • Jan 2015

Okay, but if I understand your setup correctly, I need preamp, stereo amp and avr (surround amp)? So, therefore, preamps task except signal processing would be switching the feed between stereo amp and avr, because there is no other way to connect stereo amp and reciever in same speaker setup?

Comment

• linuxtx
        • Apr 2007

I am currently running a Parasound New Classic 2100 preamp -> Rotel RB-1080 -> Nautilus 805/REL setup in my office (nearfield, speakers 3 ft from my head). I am looking to replace this with either a Parasound Halo Integrated, McIntosh MAC6700, or McIntosh D100/MC152 combo. Any thoughts on these? I can't find anywhere to hear the D100/MC152 combo or the Halo Integrated. The MAC6700 sounds great, but it is a completely different preamp/DAC setup than the D100. One of my requirements is an ASIO driver for the USB DAC. While the Pre definitely needs to be upgraded, I can't really complain about the amp, are any of these going to make a very noticeable difference for the amp section? I suppose another option would be just replace the preamp with the D100 and keep the Rotel amp.

Eventually I might replace the speakers with 805D or whatever the next 800 series bookshelf is, but TBH I haven't been taken enough with them to justify the price just yet coming from the N805.

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Just my personal opinion based on my listening to various Mac/B&W combonations, but Mac tends to be a little soft (as lack of detail & dynamics) when paired with B&W.
          It is a matter of personal taste, obviously.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• uncle_dito
            • Dec 2006

I have 803D, with Audio Research Reference 3 preamp, VT.100mkIII power amp, and DAC8, also Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD. It´s quite a nice sound, with good soundstage, definition, musicality, and for my loudness requirements and room size, I think enough power. I would appreciate some advise from a B&W owner of 803/802Ds who may have tried ARC Ref75 or Ref150 power amp, or alternatively, Ref 5 preamp with my current VT100mkIII. As I look to upgrade my system, I wonder if I will get best value from changing the rather old VT100mkIII for Ref75 (will the power be enough?), or from changing the Ref3 preamp with a Ref5SE. Or maybe the new integrated ARC GSi75 which also includes the DAC! Thanks for your comments.
            Hi Fi: Audio Research VT.100mkIII, Reference 3, DAC8; Sony SCDXA5400ES; MF A1008 integrated (backup); B&W 803D (also used in HT setup); IXOS cables XHS553 (644 SPC4mm2 high purity silver speaker cable); Chord Digital Signature coaxial, Chord Optical Optichord; VDH C5 The Bay; MIT AVt 1 analogue interconnects; QNAP TS209 NAS; J River MC21
            HT:Sony STR-DA1200ES (Front Pre Out into Reference 3 HT input); Sony SAVE-835D speakers; Sony Blu ray BDP-5000ES; REL STRATA 5; QED Reference Digital audio

Comment

• bbill
              • Jun 2009

the perfect match... B&W Diamond & Classé Sigma 2200I

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"