X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidY
    • Aug 2000

Need advice to improve antenna reception

Today, I just upgraded from a 19 inch TV to a 32 inch JVC AV32D201. The reception on the 32 inch is much worse, unwatchable really, than the 19 inch. Is there anyway to improve the reception without buying an external antenna?

BTW, I am using rabbit ears with the 19 inch TV (now located in the bedroom).

Thanks for any help.

Dave
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I'd question if the picture quality is actually different, or whether the larger screen is magnifying the "noise" and making it more apparent.

Tuners in modern TV's are quite good, and this means showing all the flaws being received.

You can try one of the high tech indoor antennas offered by "Terk Technologies". These are usually available at most bigger electronics superstores or online.

I have on occasion used an external antenna on the floor under a bed and one suspended from the ceiling. These worked much better than "rabbit ears". They helped my FM reception too.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• DavidY
      • Aug 2000

Thanks for your immediate reply, Thomas.

Situation: Up to now, I have been using a 19 inch TV with an accompanying rabbit ears without many picture problems (besides the small picture and the RF only). Then, today, I had switched it with a brand new 32 inch JVC TV. Now, the picture quality off the air (rabbit ears not included with 32inch TV) is bad, almost unwatchable. The feed from the apartment complex's satellite is watchable, but a bit grainy (i.e., not as crisp as it was with the 19 inch TV).

Thanks for the Terk link. Any idea if Radioshack has anything remotely similar to this? The town that I live is very small, less than 20,000 so my options are quite limited. Also, I live in the far north, Canada.

Dave

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I think RS might have something similar for you to try...at least you could buy one try it and see if it helps. If not its easy to return it. Like thomas said I doubt the 19" set has a better tuner but that the new TV is showing you all the noise that was there all along. It sounds like we have a similar set up in that my apt building also has a sat feed. On our old 19" TV it was okay but on the newer 35" its dreadful.

Comment

• Digital Bob
          • Aug 2000

David,

Once upon a time Radio Shack used to sell a "directional" TV antennae that was small enough to hang from the ceiling in a closet. You had to aim it at the station(s) but it worked OK for some applications. Especially if most/all the stations you want are in the same general direction. Since you can't mount something on the roof (appartment building, right?) then this might something to think about.

If you go with the Terk stuff, the long white "tube" is their best. I think it's the TV50 or some such model number. Either way, the trick is to get a directional antennae and take the time to "aim" it. The omni ones are not very useful for most folks in the 'burbs or beyond.

Good luck and I hope this helps,

dB
          dB

Comment

• DavidY
            • Aug 2000

Thanks Andrew and Digital Bob.

I am just hoping that the poor reception is not related to a defect in my brand new 32" JVC D-series TV. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

Here in the far Northern coast of B.C., there is only one local station that I can pickup. Pretty lame IMO. As a result, the soon-to-be-purchased antenna should either work or not work. I will be checking out the local RS this weekend to see what they have in stock. Gotta have my weekly hockey broadcasts or it's going to be an awfully long winter this year.

Dave

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"