X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.H.
    • Nov 2005

Sirius Radio In House Reception?

I know off topic for this forum but I am my wits end. I have had Sirius radio in my truck for a few weeks now. I have the sportster sirius radio in my truck and have no problem with reception. I just bought the Sirius sportster SP-B1 boombox and connot get reception at all really. I moved the satellite antenna everywhere but can't get reception for more than 15 seconds at a time. I even opened the window to the room and put it outside and no reception except for a few seconds. Its not trees either because the leaves are all gone now. Any suggestions? What could it possible be? I am annyoed after trying all afternoon to get a signal and all I see is "acuiring signal". Thanks J.H.
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

Hey J.H.,

I've had a Sirius Sportster for close to a year now, and get pretty good reception indoors. Make sure you have the antenna pointed in the right direction (South/Southwest? Don't remember for sure...). I have a few occasions when it loses the signal, but probably 95% of the time it is strong. Weird thing is, I get a stronger signal with the unit on top of a cabinet a little bit away from the window, compared to putting the antenna directly in the window.

Good luck!
    Brad
    Brad

Comment

• KeithM
      • Oct 2005

my sister recently got the xm portable and has problems with the reception inside, so it's not just xm boomboxes that can't get reception.

Comment

• Snap
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2005

J.H.
        Sat Radio indoors is always touch and go from my experiance. Terk makes an antenna extention that I use ever time for sat radio in homes. I am not sure if your boom box has an antenna that you hook up to it, but if it does I would get the antenna extention and move the antenna were it is going to get you the best signa.

use the above to connect to your radio, and the antenna to the other end of the extension.
        The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

If it works fine in your car, move your car in your house... Either that, or live in the car.

Hey, I'm out of ideas otherwise. It looks like to me, they'd have a little dish for home reception?

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Snap
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2005

:nonod: you are not right lex man! :lol:

Comment

• J.H.
              • Nov 2005

I just ordered an extention actually thanks for the help. now I have to point it in the south position right? Its too bad too because sirius radio is a really really cool service I mean I have had a few weeks and love it but it just aint workin in the house. I hope a suspect the extention will do the trick. Thanks again J.H.

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

Yes, the previous suggestions are correct, you must get the 50' extension and point the antenna to the south. I hear that solves most of the house reception issues.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Snap
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2005

One additional note:

If you are going to retrofit it into the walls so that nothing is seen, you are going to need a 1 inch drill bit to get through the Top Plate or Bottom plate. 3/4 will work but the end is a little big.

Also you are going to have to pull it from the outside going it. (Assuming that you are running the extention all the way outside) The end that connects to the actual antenna is huge! The end that connects to the receiver is small enough to get through a 3/4 inch hole. I use a 1 inch Auger Bit. (Sorry for the spelling on the type of bit. ops: )

Just a passing thought on the matter.

Comment

• J.H.
                    • Nov 2005

Just received the 50 foot extention and it does not fit the boombox! Why in the world wouldn't sirius make everything universal! I love the service but it is too much of a pain in the ass. These services will never survive if they don't make then idiot proof. I have put together very complicated HT systems and this is by far the most annoying and confusing.I just wasted 40 dolars on an antenna I cannot even use.So now I guess I cannot have sirius in my bedroom because that is what I wanted from the begining. This is so F-ing annoying. J.H.

Comment

• Snap
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2005

J.H what kind of boom box do you have? What antenna did you get? Something does not sound right.

To my knowledge......All SIRRIUS antennas are round, and XM looks like 4 pin fire wire? Please post your equipment so that I can T.S. this further!

Thanks,
                      Snap

Comment

• Azeke
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2003

JH,

That may be the extension for the car. Send that cable back, go to best buy and purchase the boom box extension. Try not to be upset, hopefully it's not really a big deal.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• J.H.
                          • Nov 2005

I fixed the problem. The antenna extension doesn't come with any instructions or anything. I took off the little rubber cover at the end and I connected that to the original antenna that came with the boombox and that did the trick. I then moved the antenna outside to the backyard and now its crystal clear sirius radio. The extension really should come with some sort of instructions or limitations something on how to use it. The service is great I must admit. sirius radio is awesome. J.H.

Comment

• MarcoV
                            • Oct 2005

Welcome to the land of Howard....coming Jan. 9th to Sirius...hey NOW!

Comment

• J.H.
                              • Nov 2005

Oh brother I can't wait! To be able to hear his show uncensored will be priceless. The show starts Jan.9 at 6AM right? I'll be waiting for it. J.H.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"