X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BKSinAZ
    • Feb 2003

Getting 1080i with..rabbit ear antenna!

I have not gotten my satellite tv installed yet and I am using some cheap rabbit ear antennas with my Sony SXRD. On a PBS channel, the television displays that I am getting 1080i. Is this possible via rabbit ears? Will this same station come in even more clearer once the satellite system is hooked up? 1080i on rabbit ears is the same as 1080i on satellite?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

If your set has an ATSC tuner you should be able to get any local broadcasters digital HD feed over the air. Obviously the better your antenna, the more channels you'll be able to tune in with more reliability.

As for a better signal, digital cable doesn't really work that way. The signals either strong enough for a full, clear HD signal or it's not and drops all together.
    Jason

Comment

• Audiophiliac
      • Apr 2006

Your satellite system is separate from your antenna feed. Some markets will get HD local channels over satellite, but if you have an antenna, and can get reception, you will get better picture quality with the antenna. Why? Because (at least in my market), the terrestrial broadcast is uncompressed. Anything that is transmitted via satellite is compressed. Some channels more than other.

Short answer. Get a better antenna and dont pay for local channels, HD or not.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Yeah, these guys got it right. First point is what Jason said, that the good thing about digital TV is that you either get reception or you don't. So better reception on your antenna won't give you any better of a picture. Second, yes, you CAN get HDTV from antennas. Here in the Seattle area, I get approximately 10 channels in high-def off my Radio Shack antenna.

My recommendation? If you want more channels than just the local broadcasts, use BOTH satellite and antenna. Your satellite receiver will have an option to do this, and the receiver will switch to both your local antenna channels and the satellite channels.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Also, here's a great web page to help you determine the best antenna for your area etc

Jason

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"