X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

5.1 CD vs. DVD

Since my recent purchase of DTS demo DVD #4. I've been able for the first time, to evaluate the two. This was not an on purpose but by accident test.

As soon as the Eagles HFO sample began, my ears went right up! This is different! This sounds better than it's cd counter part?

So I say self, you have enhanced the sound by the breath taking video! Maybe? So I played it again with no visual aid...still better! Hmmm?

So of course I break out the cd, yep the DVD is better. Much better! What shocked me is the cd is an awesome production. The dvd seem more like ( I know I'll get slammed for this) 2ch music. What I mean is... It had that air and 3 dimension depth that is associated 2ch music. Their was also a greater sense of clarity with the individual notes of each instrument.

Now this brings me to my final point. I bought the cd a couple of years back when I first heard & saw the dvd. My dvd player would not pass the DTS dvd signal so, I opt for the cd instead. I remember then (upon first in home audition) saying to my wife " This is nice but, it was better at the store" . Thinking it was all the other store factors accoustics, much better equipment, cables, speaker wire, proper setup anything but the software was the reason why.

In summary I have a new must have dvd to add to my always growing list.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Ken McDaniel
    • Aug 2000

This is always an excellent subject for debate. And yes, you probably will draw the ire of the 2-channel crowd. I have a couple of challenges:

Your correct in your assumptions about different sources. What is yours? Are you using your DVD player to pass the CD signal? If not, Are you sending the CD signal analog or digital?

Also, at issue is the quality of the DAC. Stock receiver DACs tend to do a better job with DVD material than 2-channel CD. Another huge factor is the quality of the CD production. There are monstrous variations in quality between different CDs.

There are a ton of factors and tweaks to equal the playing field. My opinion is that there's been a shift in the field from music to HT. I think that's where you'll find the focus of quality. You have to compensate to bring the two on par.

Ken
    Ken

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

oh boy is this going to be a fun thread I quite like the DTS version of Hotel California as it does sound nice and clean and " open" but I don't like the way they mixed it. Too often you hear the insturments behind you which I don't like nor think is approp. If they had just kept the instruments up front with the vocals and let the rear chanels handle the abmience I think it would have been better.

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Ken,
        First let me state that, I am in total agreement with you on your points. Sorry no debate on the source or analog vs digital or dac issues here

But I believe by your response that I may have been unclear in my initial post. This comparison was against two identical titles Eagles HFO, both
        encoded in DTS on two different media systems (cd vs. dvd) hence subject title 5.1 CD vs. DVD

Now let the debate began! And for the record each time(recent eval) I used my Toshiba 1200 DVD player via monster digital coax. The early unit is my Pioneer DVL 700 combi player vis toslink.

Just as a note: When I do " critical" standard cd listening I use the combi player via the analog outs.
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Andrew,
          I also agree with you on the way it was mixed. I feel that as they work with this technology more, they will do better jobs of mixing.

When I watched the Two Against Nature dvd, it truly opened my mind as to, how much work it takes at really getting this part right.

Comment

• Ken McDaniel
            • Aug 2000

Ahhhhh, OK, I got it now. You're comparing a 5.1 CD to a 5.1 DVD. Well in that case, I don't think there's any comparison. The DVD is a much better signal when used with a DVD player. Your just matching the peas to the pot. I think the CD is clearly disadvantaged in this case.

Ken
            Ken

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"