X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmenasce
    • Jan 2006

Pesky DTS problem with RSP-1068

Hi all,

I used to post here under a different name but I've been away for a while. I've been simply enjoying my system and have had no upgradeitis in nearly two months (!)

Now to my problem. My DVD player is a Pioneer DV-363 which is connected to my RSP-1068 (firmware rev 1.1.7) via COAX cable. Whenever I watch a movie in DTS and then pause for any length of time, I lose all audio when I resume. I actually have to power off the DVD player and power on again to get sound back :M . This only happens when watching the DTS track. The same movie's Dolby Digital track works fine - I can pause and resume to my heart's content with no problem. Troubleshooting shows this problem to be consistent with any DVD with a DTS track - Behind Enemy Lines, Pirates of the Caribbean, War of the Worlds, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and Stealth are all recent examples of this behavior. Initially I suspected the DVD player, but then I remembered that there was no such problem when the same unit was connected to my old entry-level Pioneer receiver.

Needless to say, I'm stumped. Other than this specific issue, my system works flawlessly and I could not be happier with it. That said, this is frustrating, because I prefer DTS to DD.

And so I now humbly submit this problem for your consideration and advice. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.
    Best regards ...
    Peter
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Common issue. First step is to upgrade the unit to 1.2.2. The improved digital detection in 1.2.1 should fix the problem. FWIW, you should be able to hit play, switch to another input, then switch back to get sound back in the mean time.

Some people have had similar issues that wound up being players with 'not-quite-in-spec' digital outputs. I'm pretty sure this was before the 1.2.1 update came out, so try that before anything else.

Let us know if the update fixes it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• pmenasce
      • Jan 2006

I was afraid you'd suggest that ...

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the quick answers. It's nice to know that this problem is not unique. I'll have to live with the work-around you suggest till the spring because my wall unit makes access to the back panel of the RSP-1068 difficult. I'll just add this to the list of tasks/projects I have planned for the system.

Now where did I put that serial cable that came with the pre/pro ...?

Thanks again!
      Best regards ...
      Peter

Comment

• pmenasce
        • Jan 2006

long overdue update - and my thanks!

Kevin,

After many months of other priorities etc, I finally got around to updating the firmware of my 1068 as per your suggestion. I'm happy to report that the update fixed the problem and pausing in DTS now works correctly.

many thanks and happy holidays.
        Best regards ...
        Peter

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Good deal. Glad it worked.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"