X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Beavers
    • Aug 2000

DTS/DD Showdown at the MC-1 Corral

I will be hosting a DD/DTS comparison "blind" test at the house in a few weeks. Now, I want to make this a Logic 7 DTS/DD comparison but I know I'm gonna hear complaints about it not being a fair test if I introduce a factor outside of straight DD/DTS. But is it? If we're talking which has the better overall fidelity, would that really be effected by Logic 7 in such a way as to favor one format or the other. I always listen to DD/DTS DVD music in DTS or DD music mode, and would want the comparison done that way, but again, if we're doing a listener test of the codecs of DTS and DD, would that effect the comparison to the point where it wouldn't be valid. If yes, why. If not, why.
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

John, I think as long as your performing your test with equal number channels, it's a fair comparison.

Logic 7 is available in DTS or DD, so I don't see it as really favoring either format. Of course, you could also do comparisons with 5 channels to complete your test. Heck, even some 2 channel music only wouldn't be a bad test.

Be sure to let us know how this turns out-

Lex

Comment

• Markj
      • Aug 2000

Well I will play the devil’s advocate here. When you test DTS vs DD, you will want the least amount of variables in the test. I don’t know how the software in the MC-1 does the matrixing. In other words does the software use the same path or does DTS use a different path then DD. The guys/gals at lexicon might have tweaked the software for one or the other formats. The DVD has five channels and that’s what should be compared. To add logic 7 test after that would be OK but the prime test should be five channels only. Just my opioin.

Comment

• John Beavers
        • Aug 2000

The test will be on 5 channels in either case, as I'm still working on putting together my 7 speaker setup, right now it's L/R/C LS/RS and sub of course. So what we will have that's unique with Logic 7 is 5 speaker enhance, and anything else Logic 7 in general would add to the tonal nature of the sound.

The showdown is scheduled for Oct. 14th. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Comment

• Markj
          • Aug 2000

John were is Antioch? Northern California or contral.

Comment

• John Beavers
            • Aug 2000

Mark,

Antioch is about 40 miles east of San Francisco.

Comment

• Markj
              • Aug 2000

Darn, that's just to far for a day trip. I would have liked to help if I could.

Comment

• John Beavers
                • Aug 2000

8 hours and 14 minutes as the Yahoo Map crow flys

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"