X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stainless
    • Feb 2008

directv hd box used for OTA HD only?

Im looking to buy a small HDTV for a bedroom and I wont be running cable or sat. to it, just antenna. Im looking at a low end TV and the only reason it peaks my interest is the cost and the built in HD tuner. I do have an HD directv box not being used so I was wondering if that box can be used as a HD OTA tuner only so I could get away with buying a different TV without the built in tuner. In other words I dont want to pay to add another box to my account but I would like to take advantage of this box's HD tuner for antenna reception. Is this possible or does the box need to be activated even just for antenna use?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I know the Dish network boxes can do that. From what I've seen, the newer Direct boxes don't appear to work until they get a signal and download guide data.

There's several RCA and Samsung boxes on Ebay for under $60 that are just OTA tuners. Even the new Samsung box that does OTA and QAM cable is only $199 new. So you can try the Direct box, box it's not expensive to add one if it doesn't work.

Kevin D.

Comment

• stainless
      • Feb 2008

Now a follow up question. I have been seeing mention of this QAM lately. I have been out of the high tech loop for some time now. What exactly does this do? I tried researching it a bit and all I find is some high tech mumbo jumbo specs. Lol

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

It's what cable uses for digital channels I believe. Probably more to it then that.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"