X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ht_addict
    • Dec 2002

Adding AC Inlet to receiver that doesn't have one

Just wondering if anyone with a receiver that doesn't have a detachable power cord has added an AC inlut to their receiver so they can have one? I have a Marantz SR5400 which doesn't come with a detachable cord, so I was thinking of picking up and inlut and having it installed. That way I could get a thicker gauge powercord.

ht_addict
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

People have certainly done this. It wouldn't be inexpensive to pay someone else to do it.

Must make sure that there's room for an IEC receptacle and that nothing inside the chassis gets botched up when cutting the metal.

Depending on the quality of the job it could decrease the resale value. And some gear won't provide any performance boost going to a larger cord.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• brucek
      HTG Expert
      • Aug 2000

That way I could get a thicker gauge powercord
      I agree with Thomas, it would be expensive to have someone install this for you. It's usually difficult to find the available real estate to perform an installation of an IEC receptacle. Not so much that there isn't room for the IEC (although that can happen), but you need room for the tools to perform the task.

It's not advisable to file it out since that practice will create all sorts of metal filings you have to deal with, so you need to chassis punch it. Filing and sawing is ok on an empty chassis, but too messy on a piece of equipment. The proper punch can be a little expensive.

My suggestion would be to simply replace the cord with a heavier one by installing it using the same method as the original. It's cheaper and this way you end up with the same result and no one would notice the mod if you wanted to sell. Usually the plastic or rubber grommet that the original cable passes through can be modified slightly to accomodate the larger cord.

brucek

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"