Converting 2 prong AC cord equipment to IEC?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIY_newbie
    • Apr 2005

Converting 2 prong AC cord equipment to IEC?

I have several pieces of audio equipment that have 2 prong no ground ac plugs. is it possible to convert this equipment to a 3 prong AC cord by adding an IEC socket, or hardwireing 3 conductor AC wire with a 3 prong plug?

Is this a good idea? Any reason why this would cause the sound quality to degrade? improve? is this dangerous with equipment that wasn't designed to run this way? Am I just wasting time?

It seems kind of strange to me that both my source components are wired this way. Especially my sony ES tuner which is supposed by be very high quality...

--Chris
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

I wouldn't.

Ground loops suck. In audio equipment, the signal ground carries the ground through any and all components that are connected in the chain. ONE grounded item does the job of providing earth for everything. Though, I know folks that won't even attach earth to anything in their amps.

Connect two items with earth connected and you've got a ground loop. Usually manifests as a nifty hum.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• DIY_newbie
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cjd
      I wouldn't.

Ground loops suck. In audio equipment, the signal ground carries the ground through any and all components that are connected in the chain. ONE grounded item does the job of providing earth for everything. Though, I know folks that won't even attach earth to anything in their amps.

Connect two items with earth connected and you've got a ground loop. Usually manifests as a nifty hum.

C
      C,

Hmm, well currently I've got it hooked up like this :

Source (CD/Tuner/DVD - not grounded via cable) -> (unbalanced interconnect shield connected both ends) -> Digital Processor (grounded via 3 prong plug) -> (unbalanced interconnect shield connected both ends) -> DCX2496 (grounded via 3 prong plug) -> (unbalanced interconnect shield connected both ends) -> Amplifiers (grounded via 3 prong plug) ...

No humm so far, my thought was that there might be some offset between the signal grounds in my source components and my downstream equipment which might lead to current flowing through the interconnect shielding..

--Chris

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Hopefully this makes a bit more sense: the + carries the signal, the - carries the return (or ground).

The amp I built actually has the earth (third wire) connected directly to the star ground, where the - input and output and speaker connections all connect as well. I have no problems with this setup when using this with a cd player, but if I hook it up to the computer (which MUST have a connection to earth in the power supply) I get a ground loop and that nifty hum. Lifting the earth connection on the amp fixes this.

Gets confusing, no?

C

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

I think the old saying applies here --- if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Comment

• DIY_newbie
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Dennis H
            I think the old saying applies here --- if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
            I was always partial to "if it ain't broke, fix it till it is" :B

--Chris

Comment

• DIY_newbie
              • Apr 2005

Another question...

If you have equipment with 2 pronged outlets what do they use for ground reference??? What happens when you connect this kind of equipment to a balanced power system where there is no "neutral" line???

--Chris

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

Once you get inside, most create their own. It may be floating. I'm not entirely sure. Ultimately, signal is in one spot, return is somewhere else. This somewhere else is "ground" however you look at it.

The amps I've worked on split the single ended voltage input (or if you have balanced power, balanced) and work with balanced power on the actual amp circuit. It is possible to use two positive voltage regulators to create a balanced power supply.

So ultimately, it's an issue of total voltage swing, not reference to a specific zero point.

C

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"