X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Do you use OSD?

I connected a video cable to view the on-screen display for the initial set-up of my pre/pro. I still have it connected to play with some of the settings. However, it's connected via an independant input on my TV -so it's not visible with routine adjustments (volume, on-the-fly bass and trebble changes).

Do you guys use the OSD in normal operation of your system? Why, or why not?

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

OSD for my DSS saves my eyes the multiples trips back and forth from my TV to stereo rack when I make the zillions of weekly volume changes

Comment

• Bob
      • Jul 2000

Absolutly, for the same reasons as Ricky. It is to hard to see what the prepro is saying without getting up and putting my nose about a foot away. What do expect from a old grandfather?

Comment

• Markj
        • Aug 2000

Yes because even with the new blue CBII display it is much easier to read the OSD.

Comment

• SiliGoose
          • Aug 2000

Interesting. Not the response I expected.

I don't use it because it doesn't work through component video outs. I believe only the Elite 49tx can perform that feat -and it cheats to accomplish it.

Perhaps my seating area is closer to my equipment (15') but I am pretty happy with the green-on-green display of the processor.

There is one feature I'd like to see incorporated into OSD's. This would make me find a way to use it all the time. If they could integrate a "visualization" -crazy colors and designs that move in response to the music I'd be all over it. I don't know why but those things have a hypnotic effect on me. I'm a deer in headlights when it comes to those silly things.

-Sili
          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I have mine turned off unless I'm calibrating etc otherwise its permanently in the off position

Comment

• Chip
              • Aug 2001

Yea, i use it via svideo on it's own tv input... it's easier..

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
              Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Though the display window on my Elite is pretty easy to read, I enjoy using the OSD. It's just nice having most items on a large screen. Also, to adjust levels on the fly (like dialog normalization).

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bob
                  • Jul 2000

Whoa, Silli, maybe you should have been a youngster in the 60's! If you can get your hands on a old projector I'll tell you how we used to do the light shows with oil and colors and you can have all the moving images you want.

Comment

• SiliGoose
                    • Aug 2000

Bob,

Is "projector" a code word for scoring some shrooms?

-Sili
                    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• jstwong
                      • Jun 2002

Personally, I left the OSD turned on after I was done doing my initial set-up. I use a Krell HTS 7.1 pre/pro, and the unit's display is pretty small, so to me it is helpful to see even the volume level on the TV...

Comment

• Robbie
                        • Aug 2000

My setup doesn't have OSD, but I can read my pro display OK from the seating position so it's not a problem.

Robbie

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"