X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Help with OSD function

I am seriously considering buying a used Rotel RSP 976 pre/pro in order to upgrade my current 2 channel component system to 5.1 HT. As a novice, I have been studying for a few months, but still have much to learn and rely on advise from nice folks like you.

I am in a quandary over the purchase of this unit. My current TV, which will not be replaced any time soon, has only composite and S-Video inputs. I have found information that says the RSP 976 OSD (On Screan Display) only works with the composite format. If this is true, does this means that in order to make use of the OSD, I have to sacrifice using the higher quality S-Video signal to my TV? As I said, I’m no expert, but this does not make sense to me?!?

Following is the correspondence I have had with the seller:
    Question to seller:
    "I saw a review by an owner on audioreview.com that said his OSD did not work when using S-Video I/O cables, Sounds like 'bunk' to me, but can you confirm? "

Reply from seller:
    "As for the S-Video thing, the OSD does not work with it. I have the OSD on and connected both S-Video and composite out and the OSD only showed up on the composite output."

At this point I am totally confused. I can buy this unit for $400. I would ‘seal the deal’ in a minute if I can get this issue resolved.

Any and All advice will be greatly appreciated.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • locomk
    • Dec 2005

you only need the osd to make adjustments and change settings such as speaker size and levels, you wont really need it for anything else and a s-video connections will not make a osd look any better or make it anymore usefull, save the s-video input on your tv for your dvd player and other components, you can still use s-video switching in the rotel and just have to change the tv to the composite input for the occasional tweaking of your settings using the osd.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Thank you so much for the info!!!!
      This is all starting to make sense thanks to help from great people like yourself.

I hope I can return the favor some day.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• locomk
        • Dec 2005

we all started somewhere, anytime

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"