X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Help with OSD function

I am seriously considering buying a used Rotel RSP 976 pre/pro in order to upgrade my current 2 channel component system to 5.1 HT. As a novice, I have been studying for a few months, but still have much to learn and rely on advise from nice folks like you.

I am in a quandary over the purchase of this unit. My current TV, which will not be replaced any time soon, has only composite and S-Video inputs. I have found information that says the RSP 976 OSD (On Screan Display) only works with the composite format. If this is true, does this means that in order to make use of the OSD, I have to sacrifice using the higher quality S-Video signal to my TV? As I said, I’m no expert, but this does not make sense to me?!?

Following is the correspondence I have had with the seller:
    Question to seller:
    "I saw a review by an owner on audioreview.com that said his OSD did not work when using S-Video I/O cables, Sounds like 'bunk' to me, but can you confirm? "

Reply from seller:
    "As for the S-Video thing, the OSD does not work with it. I have the OSD on and connected both S-Video and composite out and the OSD only showed up on the composite output."

At this point I am totally confused. I can buy this unit for $400. I would ‘seal the deal’ in a minute if I can get this issue resolved.

Any and All advice will be greatly appreciated.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

I think he's right that it only tends to output on the composite connection, which just means you need to have the composite hooked up for whenever you make any major changes.

It was basically a limitation of the time, where for it to output to the SVideo channel cost a lot more and not everyone was really on the Svideo bandwagon back in 2001.

If it was me, and you really want rotel, I'd save up the extra money and get the RSP-1068 (if you want to continue with separates) or RSX-1056/1067 (if you want integrated power)...this way you have a warranty and a lot better components (internally).

I'd just be leary buying a 4 year old product...

If you want, I can let you know where I buy all my stuff....it's just a quick ride over to Ohio.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
      • Jan 2006

Thanks PewterTA.
      Now it makes sense. And I sent you PM re your source in Ohio.

The question now is do I really need OSD working all time or for just when I am making adjustments to set-ups?

$400-$450 is the max my budget can go for a pre/pro, so compromises will have to made on features. One factor is the ungradable units. Can anybody tell me which Rotel pre/pro is the first that offers this feature?

I guess I'll just be patient and see what else I can find.
      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

It's just for changes to setup. You can still use the s-video for normal viewing.

Kevin D.

Comment

• wkhanna
          • Jan 2006

Well again, I'm just looking for good quality 5.1 system, so this may not be quite the issue I’m making it into. The ten series is out of my price range, but are there better Rotel pre/pros than the 976 that may be available for under $500 used. The 976 seems to offer the all feature I need now and for the next 4 years or so.

On a side note; Rotels numbering system does not seem intuitive to me in that a model with a higher numerical designation does not necessarily mean it’s a step above (ie. I don't think the RSP 980 is a step above the RSP-976).
          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

While studying the owners manual for the RSP 976 on Rotel’s web site, I noticed something on the view of the back panel. On the extreme right hand side, just above the AC power plug there is an ID graphic that says “ROTEL" and underneath identifies the model and power consumption. Just below, in small text it says “V2 .0". Does this mean it is a latter/different version, thus implying if you were looking to buy used, this code can be used to identfy a latter model?

Some info I found when doing a search on this and other forums mentions that there may be advantages to having a model with a later manufacturing date; as there may have been some “issues” with early production units and/or improvements relative to timeframe when the RSP 976 was actually made?
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"