X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ray5
    • Dec 2008

Power cables behind drywall

Hi,
    Don't know if this belongs here but are there any power cables available that are rated to go behind drywall that meet building codes?
    Ray
  • Space
    • Aug 2009

??? You mean, other than the usual Romex type cable used for electrical wiring inside walls? Maybe you could ask more specifically about what you're trying to do.

Comment

• ray5
      • Dec 2008

I have my TV on the wall. The stock power cord is not recommended to be snaked behind the dry wall to hide it away so I am trying to find some third party cord that is rated such. Hope that clarifies.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Sorry, every code I'm familiar with (and I think it's specified in the NEC, even) says that all high-voltage power lines in walls must be permanently installed and go between J-boxes, installed by a licensed electrician. So there would not be an electrical cord rated to be run in-wall by a consumer.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• whoaru99
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ray5
          I have my TV on the wall. The stock power cord is not recommended to be snaked behind the dry wall to hide it away so I am trying to find some third party cord that is rated such. Hope that clarifies.

Generally, I think you're supposed to bring the power to the TV by putting a receptacle in the wall behind the TV.

Here's a kit that doesn't require the homeowner to tap directly into existing wiring. http://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Power-Re.../dp/B0020LOJNQ

You still have to use Romex, but only inasmuch as you need a piece long enough to connect the male power inlet to the receptacle. Then, the extension cord thing externally connects an existing receptacle to the power inlet, which in turn feeds the recessed TV receptacle though the short length of Romex inside the wall.
          There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• ray5
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by whoaru99
            Generally, I think you're supposed to bring the power to the TV by putting a receptacle in the wall behind the TV.

Here's a kit that doesn't require the homeowner to tap directly into existing wiring. http://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Power-Re.../dp/B0020LOJNQ

You still have to use Romex, but only inasmuch as you need a piece long enough to connect the male power inlet to the receptacle. Then, the extension cord thing externally connects an existing receptacle to the power inlet, which in turn feeds the recessed TV receptacle though the short length of Romex inside the wall.
            That's exactly how I have done it. It just offends my sense of esthetics and was wondering in the world of power cords if someone has come up with something I could use. I guess in the long run I'll have to put a receptacle behind the TV. Thanks,
            Ray

Comment

• Glen B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jul 2004

How about using a cord cover ? You can paint it to match the wall. I use one I bought from Cableorganizer.com to hide my TV cables.

The Wiring Solution from Lodging Innovations greatly improves the overall quality of your HDTV presentations by eliminating distractions caused by unsightly cables.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"