X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sparky59
    • Apr 2005

What Kind of Extension Cord do I need?

Im putting my pioneer plasma 5050HD on / in the wall, speakers in the wall. I shelled out the extra $220 for the longer system cable....but need to get about a 5 ft extension cord to connect to the power supply cord (thru the walls) to the Plasma (pioneer doesnt have one). Im a newbie, but my instinct says the regular extension cord hanging around my house isnt going to do the job.

Do I read the specs on the current power cord (seems to be a lot of info on the cord) and try to find an extension that will do the job....My local audio store wasnt helpful....

Or maybe thisnt the thing to do? I could move a rec/plug behind the plasma....Is that a better way to handle it?
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

I'm not an electrician, but I do know that use of extension cords should be reserved for last resort.

If I read you correctly about a power cable through the walls, I'd darn near bet money that is an Electrical Code no-no.

I'd move the outlet if that is one of your options - just my .02.
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• RobP
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I would just add another outlet, I dont know what codes are in your area, but here in my area with new construction there needs to be an electrical outlet within six feet of one another. Honestly an extension cord should never be used for something like that.
      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• jazznsoccer
        • Apr 2004

AN extension cord in the wall is NOT per code. DO NOT DO THIS. Just add an outlet instead - it's not hard to do.

Comment

• cfarha
          • Mar 2005

I don’t mean to insult your intelligence, but have you checked to see if the power cord is removable (many high end components are). If so, order a longer high quality power cord from Pioneer or an aftermarket company. Power cords are fairly standard items. You may check with the cables section of this forum for additional help

Chris

Comment

• Snap
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2005

OH Good idea. I wish I would have thought about that. I think that he is right about that. It should be the standard 3 prong plug. You can get replacment power cords from Radio Shack and they are not that much money. Great Idea! :T
            The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
              • May 2004

yea not too much considering how much you spent on that Pioneer 5050....LOL

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"