X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dannyh
    • Dec 2005

Complex! in-wall/behind screen design questions

Please help a beginner with options and/or advise for a unique and complex setup.

Background / design goals:

I have a formal living room that will serve as a home theater when not entertaining so my design goals are listed in order of importance.
    1. Hide (for the most part) my electronic equipment when the theater is not in use.
    2. Place the LCR behind my fixed screen
    3. Get the best LCR sound possible for less that 1000k.
    4. quicker setup the better

My home is in Dallas and built in 1999. The room is 20 x 23 and 2 stories high. My projector is in-wall mounted. Across the room I have a fixed wall-mount screen. The screen is 147” diagonal DIY made from Diazen Coated Celtic Cloth. It uses 2x4’s and Simpson Strong Ties for the frame. When mounted I have approx 2 inches of space from behind the screen to the wall. The wall that my screen is mounted separates the living room from the garage. This wall is standard construction drywall with 18” studs. By having the screen mounted to this wall I can use the garage side for the speaker design, access and placement. My screen cloth is not completely acoustically transparent but many others have used it for that purpose and been very happy with it. I will use it unless it proves to be impossible.

So for my “behind the screen” LCR I’m trying to decide between:
    1. Buying some descent pre-made in-wall’s like Jamo’s
    2. Build a DIY in-wall (speakers mounted to a baffle, drywall cut and baffle attached onto the wall)
    3. Build a box for LCR and mount the box into the wall with the back extending into the garage.

Good / Bad:
    Option 1 - In-wall Jamo’s would be quick and painless, perfect looking (although not needed) and cost about $650 for the “good” Kevlar series.
    Option 2 – would be simple to build, hopefully less expensive and may sound as good or better than the Jamo’s.
    Option 3 – would be more time consuming but hopefully sound the best.

Can you please give me help in choosing an option or deciding between them. Also if you recommend #2 or #3 can you point someplace for further information.

Thank you so much!
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The room is pretty big I think you'd want a larger speaker (more radiating area).

None of the Jamo options would be as good as copying Jon's Modula MTM and let the box stick out the back.

You's need to make some changes in the crossover to remove the baffle step compensation for in-wall use

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dannyh
      • Dec 2005

Thank you for the reply. I thought the same thing and was looking at the Jamo 8" three way L/R and dual 6-1/2" three way center.

Questions about the MTM for MY setup?
      1. Would I just not port the boxes? The port would be going into the garage...
      2. How would I change the Xover for a sealed design ( I know nothing about this area)
      3. Following your thinking is there a bigger version of Jons MTM design? I have LOTS of room to work with...

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Well, with LOTS of room to work with, you might go with the MTM versio of the M8 two way, like Paul H and a few others have, but substitute the Dayton RS28a tweeter for the Vifa XT25. OTOH, if you're doing a sub, there's not really any reason to go with the large mains.

If the cabs are mounted flush with the wall, then we should take the BSC mostly out. Easier to do with the Modula version than the Natalie P, and the Modulas will be a little more comfortable playing loud. Have done that with other versions of that crossover (like the custom's for ThomasW's bedroom which are on the wall).

Between a ported and sealed design, with the crossovers in that frequency range, no change in crossover required.

~Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• oneoldude
          • Apr 2005

How about posting the Modula MTM design crossovers with BSC removed for both the L,R and CC?
          oneoldude :later:
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet" - Damon Runyon
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          "De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est" (There is no disputing taste) - Ancient Roman Saying

Comment

• Snap
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2005

I am not familar with the DIY stuff you all are talking about but the Jamo 8 in 3 way in-wall speakers are very nice, and They would work very well in that room. There are several speaker lines that would work perfect I think, for that room. If you were not into the whole "messing with the cross-over, and ports and so forth."

Below are some speaker set ups that I think would work perfect for that room.

Phase Tech:
            Center:http://www.phasetech.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?item=26
            LR:http://www.phasetech.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?item=50

Niles:
            LCR 3 accross: http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.ph...rdcdID=FG00744

Jamo:
            Center:http://www.jamo.com/Default.asp?ID=1678
            LR:http://www.jamo.com/Default.asp?ID=1675
            The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

How about posting the Modula MTM design crossovers with BSC removed for both the L,R and CC?
              Not as simple as removing a few components. BSC is integrated into the values of the standard XO components. Removing the BSC means completely re-engineering the LF section of the XO with new transfer functions.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dannyh
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by oneoldude
                I think that would be great as well. Does that involve allot of work? (I'm not being smart,,, I really dont know...)

Thank you again!

Danny

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

OK, guys, just as a special "Xmas present" to the community, for flush mount, I'll redo the xovers before New Years (have a big work project with part due by the 27th). Note that tweeter sensitivity may be an issue, but we'll see.

The complete filter transfer function has to be re-engineered, and the tweeter level adjusted.

~Jon
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ekkoville
                    • Aug 2004

Waaahooo, my room arrangement may warrant a similar design. Hope it works out.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"