X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoundOfNothing
    • Aug 2009

Is the PS3 a very good Blu-ray player?

Im really concerned about picture quality most, followed by audio; but how good is the PS3 in that regard? I have a hard time believing with all that circuitry in there Sony payed critical attention to the power supply or video decoders and upscalers for that matter. I would like to be told otherwise because for what it is/does it seems incredible. Not to mention all the constant firmware updates.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

It doesn't upscale well at all actually. It's a decent blu-ray player though. Just don't expect spectacular performance for upscaling DVD's.

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Agreed.

Blu-ray, it does a good job. For me, I wouldn't say "decent" as I haven't seen much of a difference in blu-ray performance from Sony or Panasonic blu-ray players. It's just as good as the others. But it loads fast and handles any BD disk. DVD, it upscales... but just ok. I have a Marantz DVD player that upscales a bit better, but even if I didn't have the Marantz, the PS3 still does ok. Better than no scaling at all, right?
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

The PS3 is pretty amazing for a gaming system so if you are primarily interested in that aspect of entertainment, it's a lot of bang for the buck. But, if you are more concerned about PQ than gaming, I'd consider something else. The Oppo BDP-83 (Blu-Ray and SACD) comes to mind, although I'm fantastically happy with my Pioneer BDP-05.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

True, if you want an entertainment center the PS3 does A LOT. But for movies only, I can't see the Oppo being passed up.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Well, I'll say this--those here know that I'm a hard-core A/V guy, and don't ever sacrifice quality for just easy accessibility, portability, or convenience, like MP3's or such. But after some soul-searching, I bought one of the first PS3's when they first came out, primarily as a BD-player. 3 years or so later now, it STILL IS MY ONLY BD-player. It works just fine for me, and I can get incredible PQ and SQ from it, through my reference system. Works better than fine, it still does great.

Are there better performing players out there now? Yes. But I'm not going to get anywhere close to enough of a performance improvement, to justify buying a separate dedicated player yet. So I'm plenty good with my PS3.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
              Well, I'll say this--those here know that I'm a hard-core A/V guy, and don't ever sacrifice quality for just easy accessibility, portability, or convenience, like MP3's or such. But after some soul-searching, I bought one of the first PS3's when they first came out, primarily as a BD-player. 3 years or so later now, it STILL IS MY ONLY BD-player. It works just fine for me, and I can get incredible PQ and SQ from it, through my reference system. Works better than fine, it still does great.

Are there better performing players out there now? Yes. But I'm not going to get anywhere close to enough of a performance improvement, to justify buying a separate dedicated player yet. So I'm plenty good with my PS3.
              Ditto.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

My only gripe with my PS3 is the fan noise, its sooooo loud!

I dont know if the new ones have this issue. I am also aware that other say theirs are quiet, yet I know I am not the only one displeased by this.

I actually bought a Sony BR player this holiday season for the reason of not having to listen to the fan on the PS3.

I love the PS3 though, I play video games from time to time and have about 30 PS2 games so it was a no brainer for me.
                B&W

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Christopher, yes I agree, I had 3 different PS3's and they all were incredibly loud. I'm not sure if this has been fixed in later models or not but I sure hope so. I had to move my media rack into a closet because it was bothering me lol.

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Maybe I don't notice the fan noise because the PS3 is so close to my center speaker that maybe the audio from the center speaker floods over the fan noise. Maybe???

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"