X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sarsi
    • Nov 2004

RSP1098, PS3 and Full HD 3D Playback

I like to share some of recent experience with my new 3D TV setup with my current Rotel RSP1098/RMB1095 setup. I am hoping this information is useful for anyone with the same configuration out there that are interested to take the 3D plunge.

I had not been very active in the last couple of years keeping up with the home theater technology especially I am happy with the current Rotel setup. I am not ready (and mostly unlikely) to move to 15 series and lose my cute little screen of my RSP1098. However, I did added the hdmi module to my RSP1098 in place of the s-video module sometime back.

Couple of weeks back we purchased a new Panasonic 3D Plasma (model THP50VT20S) and a new Panasonic FullHD 3D bluray player (model DMP-BDT300), I started to tweak my setup a little to welcome this new member to my HT family.

Though the TV sales guy and installer that came to install the TV kept stressing that I need to get a HDMI v1.4 cables and AV amp for the 3D to work, however, when connecting my new Panasonic Full HD 3D bluray player through the RSP1098 and from HDMI output from RSP1098 to my 3D TV (via my old 12M Supra HF100 hdmi cable) I was able to watch 3D Full HD 1080p/60Hz Full HD mode without any problem. However, I don't think audio via hdmi works here, have not test it since I am using my AV system for surround sound via coax connection from the Bluray player to the SSP the old fashion way.

I had also upgraded my PS3 to the latest v3.55 firmware which provides support for 3D playback, guess what? I can also playback the same 3D movie via my PS3 and watch the same full HD 1080p/60Hz 3D on the Panasonic TV just like the Panasonic Bluray. Nice thing is that everything is done via the RSP1098 as the hdmi switching.

Now my Marantz DV9500 1080i DVD player look a little age , look like DV9500 will now be a dedicated multi-channel SACD player instead of movie playback.
  • hurin
    • Sep 2009

The RSP 1098 does not have HDMI, the HDMI module is a just a splitter, thats why you can't get sound, and since it does nothing with the signal there are no compability issues either.

The PS3/RSP1098 is not a good combo for movies as there is no way to get HD sound. I don't even know if there are any games with HD sound so maybe an optical cable is OK for that purpose.

Comment

• sarsi
      • Nov 2004

My Panasonic Bluray does comes with DTS-HD decoder build in but that mean I need to give up the 5.1 inputs of my RSP1098 for DTS-HD, the 5.1 in is currently used for my DV9500 multi-channel SACD playback. The dilemma of choosing between DTS-HD vs SACD playback

Comment

• timjclark
        • Apr 2009

That is a delima! :evil:
        -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
        -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
        -Rotel: RSP-1069
        -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
        -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
        -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• june
          • Feb 2005

this is just mho,

music has always been 2-channels for me. but need movies in the best sounding format available!
          June
          "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• sarsi
            • Nov 2004

I tried out last night playback a DTS-HD bluray movie (Die Hard 4) with 5.1 inputs connected to the Bluray player for DTS-HD codec out, switching between DTS-HD on 5.1 and DTS on Video 2 while watching the movies a few times throughout the movie I can't really feel much different between the two codecs. However, I did felt the DTS-HD dialog to be a little clearer and brighter. So, probably will stick to the 5.1 connections for multi-channel SACD.

Comment

• hurin
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by sarsi
              I tried out last night playback a DTS-HD bluray movie (Die Hard 4) with 5.1 inputs connected to the Bluray player for DTS-HD codec out, switching between DTS-HD on 5.1 and DTS on Video 2 while watching the movies a few times throughout the movie I can't really feel much different between the two codecs.
              You're comparing appels to oranges, or rather the DAC in the Rotel with the DAC in the Panasonic. One of the reasons Panasonic players are so inexpensive is their cheap DACs, I'm surprised you can hear an improvement at all.

For the ultimate result try and find an Oppo 83SE, or if you can afford it the new Oppo 95.

They also play SACD :T

Comment

• Fishy
                • Jul 2004

Does anyone know of a dealer that would sell me the parts and details of what other changes I need to make to the RSP-1098. Rotel UK will not carry out this modification.

Thanks
                Fish

Comment

• sarsi
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by hurin
                  You're comparing appels to oranges, or rather the DAC in the Rotel with the DAC in the Panasonic. One of the reasons Panasonic players are so inexpensive is their cheap DACs, I'm surprised you can hear an improvement at all.

For the ultimate result try and find an Oppo 83SE, or if you can afford it the new Oppo 95.

They also play SACD :T
                  I am hoping to get the Marantz UD7006 to replace my DV9500.

Comment

• JustinGN
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by hurin
                    The RSP 1098 does not have HDMI, the HDMI module is a just a splitter, thats why you can't get sound, and since it does nothing with the signal there are no compability issues either.

The PS3/RSP1098 is not a good combo for movies as there is no way to get HD sound. I don't even know if there are any games with HD sound so maybe an optical cable is OK for that purpose.
                    Not to derail the thread, bur an increasing number of big budget titles (notably the Uncharted series) support LPCM up to eight channels. They sound fantastic, too!

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"