X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george_k
    • Jan 2004

but still 100w versus 200w in a dedicated Power Amp is not the same sound
    Just wanted to point out;
    100w @ 4ohm / 160w @ 8ohm vs the 205's constant 200w @ 4 or 8ohm. I'd go with the 205 as it offers power and flexibility (i.e. use spare channels to power more power hungry front channels like 803's should you ever upgrade). Can't comment on sound as I've never heard one.

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Ken49r
      Is the MA6300 the only 2 ch Mac amp the dealer has to loan?
      No, but it's the only one in my budget.

Originally posted by Ken49r
      I don't think you can run the MA6300 without the preamp section, so it would defeat the purpose of your demo.
      This is what I am thinking
      - Analog output from Marantz DVD player straight into the MA6300 = Doable
      - Digital output from Marantz DVD player into the Marantz receiver. Analog preout or multiout straight into the MA6300 = I think it would work. This way, the MA6300 treats that signal the same it would like the Marantz DVD player. No?
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Ken49r
        • Dec 2007

Digital output from Marantz DVD player into the Marantz receiver. Analog preout or multiout straight into the MA6300 = I think it would work. This way, the MA6300 treats that signal the same it would like the Marantz DVD player. No?
        aidioqueso,
        Did you run this by your dealer? Does he think it will give the results you want? (amp only...no pre/amp involvment from the MA6300)
        I think since the pre is internally connected to the amp section then the pre would still in effect add to the overall sound in your test.

I don't have any experience with this and know nothing about what options are available with a pre/amp as far as shuting down different sections and using just the pre or the amp section. Do you plan to run this test soon?

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

I did, but I think he took it as MA6300 vs Marantz. Doesn't surprise me that he might have misunderstood me, as it looks like I'm confusing a few people here as well. ha ha... but I appreciate everyone's input (seriously). Well, my work is getting very busy this month, so I'm not sure I'll have time to go out there soon, but if I can go sometime this month, I think I'm going to try this test out. And of course, I'll report back on my findings.

Comment

• Sounder
            • Oct 2007

Personally, I wouldn't spend $4 to $5k on an amp. You would get better overall results with something like an emotiva XPA amp for well under half the money. Then add a good pre/pro like the upcoming emotiva, the Marantz, or the Onkyo. All can be had under $2k. All together, you will spend under $4k and have an outstanding system. And, you won't have the tradeoffs you are anticipating with your existing Marantz. You could argue that the emo amps aren't as good as the Mac. I think the differences would be minimal. But when you factor in the processor, you get more bang for the buck overall.

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Emotiva amps are out of the question.
              I'm not in the US, and I'm not trying to Fedex a huge 80lb box. That comes out to just as much as the amps.

But curious, have you compared your Emotiva amp to a Mac? I ask because I've asked numerous Emotiva XPA amp owners on other forums how their Emotiva amp compares to a Mac, and I haven't been able to find anyone who has heard a Mac amp with their setup.

Comment

• aquaanox
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by audioqueso
                Emotiva amps are out of the question.
                I'm not in the US, and I'm not trying to Fedex a huge 80lb box. That comes out to just as much as the amps.

But curious, have you compared your Emotiva amp to a Mac? I ask because I've asked numerous Emotiva XPA amp owners on other forums how their Emotiva amp compares to a Mac, and I haven't been able to find anyone who has heard a Mac amp with their setup.
                I just tried and returned a MA-6300 this past weekend. It couldnt keep up with my 30 yr Sansui in mid-range, soundstage, imaging etc etc, though i preferred it over my much older MA-6200. Anyway, i was in a similar situation, enamored with Mac and chasing the watts. Honestly if you go that route, you will need to spend more on a MA-6900, MA6500 etc. to get the smoothness and power Mac's are known for, or better yet, Mac separates..

I ended up switching over to a 30 watt tube amp, and am convinced.. i think i only need 3-5 watts total, the speakers seem overpowered

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"