X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JustinGN
    • May 2009

AVR and Processor Recommendations

I know this is one of those "Ask 100 people the same question, and you'll get 100 different answers" threads, but I am curious as to the input of the denizens here with regards to AVR and Processor recommendations. I've been doing research for a while, since my poor Denon Receiver is just too antiquated to handle anything newer than vanilla DTS tracks (AVR-1803) or 480p Component Video (Pushing 1080p through the component connections from my 360 results in "hazy" video). I've looked at everything from Rotel, to Classe, to Emotiva, and even some more "mainstream" gear from Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo/Integra, and Marantz. At the end of the day, though, I'm still as indecisive as ever regarding which I should invest in.

The thought of going with separates is definitely a thought - going with a processor would allow me to customize my amp solution later, spend more money for the video/audio processing now, and use the 5.1 External Inputs on my current Denon for amping duty (A travesty, yes, but it'll let me invest in a very nice amp later instead of cramming my budget into a single unit now). However, the price of most processors is the same as an AVR with an amp built-in, I've found, and it may be worth it (with some brands) to just get the AVR and be done with it.

What do you all think? A few features are mandatory for me:
    1. Quality Video Processor for legacy AV Sources
    2. Ability to disable any and all video processing for input-sensitive sources
    3. HDMI Connectivity with DSD Support
    4. Decoding of DTS-HD MA and TrueHD Preferred
    5. Multichannel Analog Inputs (5.1/6.1/7.1)

I'd also like a processor with VGA/RGBHV inputs, since I have one or two legacy components with such an output. I'm a collector of legacy components, you could say, and being able to integrate them into the AVR/Processor would be nice. XLR Inputs/Outputs would be great for expandability down the road, but certainly aren't required. Main purpose is Movies, Games, and some serious music listening from time to time; 5.1 is the minimum required channel output/input, as I don't anticipate on having a large enough room for 7.1 anytime soon. Budget currently sits at just shy of two grand, and the speakers will be primarily B&W 600-series speakers, possibly with a CM Centre & Yamaha Subwoofer.

Currently, I'm heavily leaning towards the (hopefully) soon-to-be-released Emotiva UMC-1 for a Processor, and dropping the extra coin on a corresponding five channel amplifier (Either the UPA-7 or XPA-5), though I've also been interested on the 10-series Rotel Units if I can get a nice enough price break.
  • Hammie
    • Oct 2005

Vanns has a Denon 3808 for under $1K right now. The offer ends today (5/22/2009).

If you have the time to wait, then separates would be my suggestion.
    Last edited by Hammie; 22 May 2009, 22:16 Friday.
    Panasonic TC-P65VT30
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
    Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
    Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
    Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
    My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
    Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

If you're interested in Rotel 10-series, then check audiogon for sure. There are always numerous 1068s and even 1069s for sale. The 1075 amp can also be had for a great price these days.

I'll also second the Denon AVR-3808CI suggestion. Denon's introducing their newer models, so this one is currently deeply discounted. I've also seen a deal on amazon where you get the Denon 2500 blu-ray transport for free with the receiver. I've been using the 3808 for over a year now, and it's been great. Has all of the latest features, including Ethernet support for updates and for streaming music and Internet radio. You can always add an external amp down the road as well. I'm using mine with my Rotel RMB-1085.
      Brad

Comment

• Blindamood
        • Sep 2003

Or, you could just save up for this one... 8)

The AVR600's discrete styling hides a huge seven channel, 120wpc power amplifier and some of the most advanced audio and video processing ever ...

Looks pretty exciting, but I have not heard any word on the price yet...
        Brad

Comment

• kgveteran
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by louhamilton
          Vanns has a Denon 3808 for under $1K right now. The offer ends today (5/22/2009).

If you have the time to wait, then separates would be my suggestion.

I use it as a processor....what a steal !!! With Audyssey processing to boot...a no brainer.

Along with Outlaw M-200's on the mains and two Behringer 500a's for the surrounds, its quite a package
          Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• TommyV
            • Feb 2007

Definitely Check out the Rotel 10 series. I love my 1069. No DSD here though. No Decoding. No XLR.

You could go Marantz. Here is an Open Box Deal. I would snag it up if you are ready to pull the trigger.

Comment

• Vinny
              • Mar 2006

Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.

I am waiting on this for the processor unit, featurewise looks sweet for the price. And reviews are commonly pretty good with their products in the past
              Pioneer KRP-500M
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Parasound 5125
              Oppo BDP-83
              Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
              SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• JustinGN
                • May 2009

Thanks for the input everyone. At this point, I'm having a difficult time between grabbing a 2310 or 3310CI Denon Receiver, Marantz SR7002 or 6003 Receiver, or holding out for the Emotiva UMC-1 and grabbing either an XPA-2 and XPA-3 or UPA-7 Amplifier. From what I can tell, I'm sacrificing something either way depending on which route I go.

If I go with Denon, I get better video processing and conversion to HDMI, but at the (apparent) lack of DSD over HDMI support.
                If I go Marantz, I get DSD support and multiple HDMI Outputs (Handy, since I'd like a 2.0/2.1 1080p setup in the bedroom with 5.1 in the Living Room someday).
                If I go Emotiva, I get the benefit of separates and easily replacable processors/gear, but I sacrifice video processing -and- DSD over HDMI Support (Unconfirmed, though, since Emotiva refuses to put out concrete specs).

Thoughts? All are about the same price from Audiogon or direct dealers, though factoring in Amp cost with the Emotiva knocks it up into the $1500 territory.

Comment

• Blindamood
                  • Sep 2003

The Denon 3808CI is currently going for <$1K brand new. It does DSD over HDMI; I do this via my Oppo DV-980H.
                  Brad

Comment

• littlesaint
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by JustinGN
                    Thanks for the input everyone. At this point, I'm having a difficult time between grabbing a 2310 or 3310CI Denon Receiver, Marantz SR7002 or 6003 Receiver, or holding out for the Emotiva UMC-1 and grabbing either an XPA-2 and XPA-3 or UPA-7 Amplifier. From what I can tell, I'm sacrificing something either way depending on which route I go.

If I go with Denon, I get better video processing and conversion to HDMI, but at the (apparent) lack of DSD over HDMI support.
                    If I go Marantz, I get DSD support and multiple HDMI Outputs (Handy, since I'd like a 2.0/2.1 1080p setup in the bedroom with 5.1 in the Living Room someday).
                    If I go Emotiva, I get the benefit of separates and easily replacable processors/gear, but I sacrifice video processing -and- DSD over HDMI Support (Unconfirmed, though, since Emotiva refuses to put out concrete specs).

Thoughts? All are about the same price from Audiogon or direct dealers, though factoring in Amp cost with the Emotiva knocks it up into the $1500 territory.
                    The UMC-1 from Emotiva has video processing. It has a Genesis Torino solution. It does not support DSD natively. The DAC employed cannot convert DSD.
                    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• JustinGN
                      • May 2009

Based on some added advice from my dealer, I've settled on the Marantz SR6003. The extra HDMI Output will be handy, and I can always retire it as a Zone 2 processor/amplifier down the road once HDMI 1.4 goes Mainstream. My Sharp Aquos does an admirable processing job on its own, so much so that I may disable it on the PS3 itself; anything else can be handled by the on-board 10-bit processor.

Once again, it's just something to "get me by", but with my Surrounds and Centers coming tomorrow, my only remaining upgrades are a Subwoofer and dedicated Processor/Amp. It'll do nicely in the interim.

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Huh... haven't heard of "HDMI 1.4". What would that be?
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                          Huh... haven't heard of "HDMI 1.4". What would that be?

Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• rhubarb9999
                            • Apr 2009

I have the same question. It looks like my Lexicon MC-1 has finally died and I need to find something new.

I use an HTPC as the video source for my theater so I don't care about video switching.

I don't really need the latest HD audio codecs and only need one optical in from the HTPC.

95% Movies/TV vs. music.

I would like 7.1 (real or derived .. like the Lexicon provided) so I need 8 preamp outputs.

And my wife would like it to be as cheap as possible

So pre/pro or receiver with pre outs ... any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"