X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Ovation
    I have need for an optical digital output and the Onkyo lacks such an output.
    Just curious here, what do you do with the optical output?
    -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

You put out optics, of course!

What's a dikfer?
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by impala454
        Just curious here, what do you do with the optical output?
        I have a Sony MiniDisc home deck (I've had it for years and I still use it regularly). I also have an external soundcard for my computer that has a digital optical input and I've fed it with broadcasts from my cable box of classical and jazz concerts from CBC radio to archive on my hard drive.

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

if this is a nono to ask then no problem, but it seems hard to find the info... what's that onkyo supposed to MSRP at?
          -Chuck

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

ok nevermind.. got the answer here, pretty good info!
            -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Yeah I was thinking it was 2,199... I don't think we have any rules of posting MSRP's.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

sure, no problem to do MSRP's.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• garrison
                  • Oct 2010

my thoughts is if your going to use it as a pre/pro and turn the internal amps off then why spend the money on a receiver. The circuitry inside a receiver isn't as good as a dedicated pre/pro. You can get a nice used rotel pre/pro for $1200 and then purchase used amps. You will have 10 times the system. You can even get a used classe amp in the 2K range. so for 3200 you would have a system that blows away a denon receiver

Comment

• garrison
                    • Oct 2010

why would you want 9.2.. there is no such thing. there is no media above a 7.2 which is very limited at this time. There are very few chip boards out there that are able to upgrade 5.2 to 7.2 sound and they are in the minimum 10K range. So I know denon doesn't hold the secret to upgrade a 5.2 signal to 9.2. It's a marketing gimmick and you will never need more than 7.2 in any room

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Well, garrison, the same thing was actually said when we went from DPL to 5.1. Then to 6.1, 7.1.

7.1 DISCRETE channels is the most we have right now (not 7.2). (unless you count something like motion data added by certain manufacturers) However, processors can use algorithms to extract any number of other channels, as they are designed. DPL IIz technology indeed can do 9.1 matrixed channels. Combine that with Yamaha technology, and yes, you can do 11.1 matrixed channels. More are possible. To say that any particular number is "the most you'll ever need in any room" is a matter of personal preference in relation to existing technology. THX would love to add a discrete ceiling channel, making 8.1. If they did, would any particular people be saying "no, don't use it... we've already declared 7.1 the most you'll ever need"?
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by garrison
                        my thoughts is if your going to use it as a pre/pro and turn the internal amps off then why spend the money on a receiver. The circuitry inside a receiver isn't as good as a dedicated pre/pro. You can get a nice used rotel pre/pro for $1200 and then purchase used amps. You will have 10 times the system. You can even get a used classe amp in the 2K range. so for 3200 you would have a system that blows away a denon receiver
                        I'm totally guessing here, but I don't think there's any used rotel prepros for $1200 that have HDMI 1.4, as well as all the other features I'm looking for that the onkyo has (or the denon for that matter). I would love to find a good prepro that has everything I want that doesn't cost $5,000, but so far that doesn't exist. Which is kind of sad as I don't want that much... just 4 or 5 HDMI ports, decoders for all the latest codecs, balanced outputs, 12v triggers, serial control, and enough other inputs for all my stuff. Doesn't seem like that much to ask. I already have an awesome amp, just need an awesome prepro to go with it.
                        -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Also there are tons of pre/pro's receivers and the likes out there that can "upgrade" as you called it 5.1 or 7.1 to 9.1 or 11.1. You'd have to experience the setup your self to understand why.

And yeah Chuck I don't think I've seen any Rotel processors for 1200 that have HDMI at all, although I haven't looked in a while.... Generally I find Rotel to be a bit over priced? But to each their own. Classe and Parasound I like but out of my price range and neither have the current features.

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Well it looks like the 4311 may be high on my list of options again... I'm really not sure and it'll come down to spur of the moment and me deciding how much I want to spend The 4311 can already be had for 1500 quite a few places though.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"