X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tpirovol
    • Dec 2007

If you had $2000 what would you buy?

Hi Everyone,

I am looking into buying a new reciever for my B&W 683, 685,htm62 setup. Just wondering what receiver they would choose and why? I have a rotel 1057 and want to know if I should get a Marantz SR8002 or what else would compare?

Thanks Terry
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Don't get a receiver get a pre/pro and power amp Nothing can compare to having a dedicated power amp rather then an internal amp of an AVR. You could use an AVR as a pre/pro and just add an amp. The XPA-5 would be an excellent amp to use. Or if you want even better then get the XPA-3 (which is on sale right now) and an XPA-2 as the XPA-2 has amazing 2 channel performance not that the others are lacking. Could get both of those and have 800 left over for an AVR or Pre/pro.

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

I would listen to Dougie. Seriously.
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• tpirovol
        • Dec 2007

What surround processor would you buy?

Comment

• greenhorn
          • Feb 2007

I got a used (barely) Anthem AVM 20 ver 1.2 PreAmp and Anthem PVA7 Amp for just a little more then 2,000 a while back, excellent setup.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Well I would suggest the new UMC-1 simply because going to be hard to find anything to compare at the same price BUT, they will probably come out in like ~month or so and people that didn't get on the pre order list won't be able to get one for probably 60-90 days after that. So it's kind of hard to suggest that. Otherwise look for a full featured AVR or a used Pre/pro somewhere that has all the new bells and whistles that you need and you can connect it up. Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha and such. Just make sure it has pre-outs.

Comment

• Ray Collins
              • Mar 2006

Right you are Dougie; they not only have the first batch of UMC1's sold but they are nor taking anymore names on the waiting list for the next batch. I have thrown in the towel and am searching for a good price on an Integra 9.9. Sometimes you simply must move on...

Ray
              Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
              BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Well Dan said that they anticipate having enough to fill all pre-orders and have stock on hand for new customers within the first 60-90 days of the first unit shipping. So its not that horrible.

Comment

• SoCalCM
                  • Oct 2007

I picked up a Pioneer Elite SC-07 to replace my 8 yr old Anthem AVM20 v.2 and MCA50 amp in my smaller system. The up-to-date connection options (HDMI 1.3 -- 4 in and 2 out) were the reason for the switch -- I gave up nothing in sound quality. (I use B&W CM1, CMC speakers). Actually sounds clearer with the ICE amps. It is simpler, cheaper and uses less space.

Anthem is still not in production with their next gen AVM pre-pros, these would have cost more than the AVR even if available. There is currently no HDMI upgrade for the AVM20. Without it, the AVM20 is hopelessly obsolete for a modern HT setup.

Full disclosure -- my main system is an Anthem D2 with Classe amps driving B&W 802Ds, I doubt the AVR can handle those, but haven't tried it.

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by tpirovol
                    Hi Everyone,

I am looking into buying a new reciever for my B&W 683, 685,htm62 setup. Just wondering what receiver they would choose and why? I have a rotel 1057 and want to know if I should get a Marantz SR8002 or what else would compare?

Thanks Terry
                    Hi,

I have the 685, HTM62. Sounds excellent, however if your going for the 683, I would recommend the HTM61, this is the matching centre for the 683. The HTM62 is for the bookshelfs in the 600 range.

Might be good idea to get a AVR with the latest features, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha.

Rotel is good, maybe the new rotel range?
                    SoundEngine355

-------------------
                    [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• artv4
                      • Jun 2007

what are your sources?
                      GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• bbecker1983
                        • Feb 2009

A Fn-h Ps90 :-p

Comment

• kgveteran
                          • Oct 2005

Denon 3808 used and a bunch of pro amps depending on how much power you need.Behringer 500a's can be had for 150.00 used and 200.00 new. The Denon, which I use is as good or better than a stand alone processor.

As I have stated before on this subject, the days of stand alone processors came to an end for me when I hooked up this Denon.I've had lexicon, krell, EAD (with smokin' Burr/brown dacs) Bang for the buck a reciever as a processor.

To boot you get audyssey processing which takes ALL the guess work out of setup. My system is no slouch, if the Denon is lacking a feature I need to know about it.

Kg

800.00 for four 500a's and the Denon 3808ci used for 1,200.00 Killer.
                          Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Well in the last two weeks I just bought two $2000 items. (give or take). A deidcated CD and Pre amp.

Pics next weekend if all goes well (never thought I would spend that kind of money on seperates)

However ive had seperates in the past. Big mono amps are badass forsure however a nice receiver all in on convenience is worth the price at times

I am currently using a Yamaha RXV3900 and for a reciever I have been VERY pleased with it.
                            B&W

Comment

• NewRotelGuy
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by SoCalCM
                              I picked up a Pioneer Elite SC-07 to replace my 8 yr old Anthem AVM20 v.2 and MCA50 amp in my smaller system. The up-to-date connection options (HDMI 1.3 -- 4 in and 2 out) were the reason for the switch -- I gave up nothing in sound quality. (I use B&W CM1, CMC speakers). Actually sounds clearer with the ICE amps. It is simpler, cheaper and uses less space.

Anthem is still not in production with their next gen AVM pre-pros, these would have cost more than the AVR even if available. There is currently no HDMI upgrade for the AVM20. Without it, the AVM20 is hopelessly obsolete for a modern HT setup.

Full disclosure -- my main system is an Anthem D2 with Classe amps driving B&W 802Ds, I doubt the AVR can handle those, but haven't tried it.
                              Hello,
                              I just read your thread. Yesterday I returned my Rotel 1560 for the Pioneer SC-07. What a HUGE difference! My Infinity Apha 50's are Bi-amped with clean thumpin' bass. Rich highs.

How do you like your SC-07? Are your connectors on the back in silver or gold plated?

Comment

• robert L
                                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by tpirovol
                                Hi Everyone,

Thanks Terry
                                stick with rotel u cant go wrong! for the price and sound, and listen to dougie , but if u cant do seperates because of budget then check out integra

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"