X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crackyflipside
    • Nov 2006

Cheapest AVR to use as pre-pro w/ HDMI

Already have all the amps for the speakers, what is a cheap solution for the pre/pro? If only manufactures sold de-amped versions of their AV receivers!

So far looking at the Onkyo TX-SR705 and Yamaha RX-V663; leaning more for the Onkyo so if there's a receiver out there I don't know with more or less comparable features (especially 3 HDMI) that is cheaper tell me.
    -Chris B

;x( DIY
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

They do sell deamped versions which are called Pre/Pro's but generally they aren't super cheap. Like I was saying before the Emotiva UMC-1 is a pre/pro and a very very nice one for 699. If that's to much then probably something like the 705 or something used that will accept LPCM over HDMI for your blu-ray needs and what not.

Comment

• littlesaint
      • Jul 2007

It can depend on what kind of media you'll be playing. The biggest factor is Blu-ray. If the player can decode all of the new HD codecs, you can go with an older AVR that supports HDMI 1.1. If you need the AVR to decode because the player only bitstreams the codecs, you'll have to go with a newer HDMI 1.3 AVR. I use a Yamaha v661 which is HDMI 1.2 and can be found for <$250. I would generally recommend the Yamaha over the Onkyo unless the Onkyo has a specific feature you need.
      Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• crackyflipside
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by littlesaint
        It can depend on what kind of media you'll be playing. The biggest factor is Blu-ray. If the player can decode all of the new HD codecs, you can go with an older AVR that supports HDMI 1.1. If you need the AVR to decode because the player only bitstreams the codecs, you'll have to go with a newer HDMI 1.3 AVR. I use a Yamaha v661 which is HDMI 1.2 and can be found for <$250. I would generally recommend the Yamaha over the Onkyo unless the Onkyo has a specific feature you need.
        I have heard extremely good things about the Audyssey MultEQ.
        -Chris B

;x( DIY

Comment

• Ken49r
          • Dec 2007

If you have amps check your Rotel dealer for a sale on the RSP-1069 Pre-Pro. Going out of circulation to make way for the new 15 series. I just upgraded from an Onkyo TX-SR804 HDMI 1.1 to the RSP-1069 also HDMI 1.1 and the PS3 does fine to decode the HD audio. The 1069 blows away the Onkyo in SQ. The extra $ may be worth the upgrade for you if you can swing it.
          Rotel is about 1/2 off MSRP...can't get a better deal new.

If not I can make you a deal on my used Onkyo.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Onkyo's certainly aren't 2 channel kings that's for sure. For HT though probably not going to have much of an issue.

Comment

• littlesaint
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by crackyflipside
              I have heard extremely good things about the Audyssey MultEQ.
              There are different versions/implementations of Audyssey. Make sure the one in the AVR you're looking at is the same one you've heard good things about.
              Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• crackyflipside
                • Nov 2006

edit: found a great deal on an Onkyo 805: http://www.redtag.com/Onkyo_TX-SR805...a11302517.html

went and bought it, has Mult EQ XT I made sure, does the 8position measurement.
                Last edited by crackyflipside; 17 November 2008, 21:47 Monday.
                -Chris B

;x( DIY

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"