Oh well, I won an Ebay auction with a RSP 1098...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ossi
    • Jul 2003

Oh well, I won an Ebay auction with a RSP 1098...

...but it is not like I did really want to get it! I mean a was sure the price would go up much higher but they seem to go for less and less lately :E
    How here is my problem: I have a Denon AVC A1SE+ (US AVR 5800 + Update to 5803) that I use only as a processor. I was looking for a new toy, not quite sure what to look for. So here is the deal: Is there anyone that can confirm that the RSP 1098 is actually better as a PRE/PRO that the Denon AVR 5803 as a PRE/PRO?
    I am using Parasound amps all around, HCA 2003 front, center, HCA 806 surround and surround back.
    Oh yes and this to Rotel: I know you didn't plan to provide the RSP 1098 as an hardware Upgradeble unit, but now that it seems that I will be stuck with one (or may fall in love with it, we will see) you better overthink this upgradable thing. I guess I am speaking for the magority of user saying that we really would like to see a new DSP card with i-Link in not so long and supossely some other features that now even sub 1000 bucks entry receivers do provide
    Regards,
    Ossi
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Ossi,

Congragtulations on your e-bay purchase. I 've haven't heard the Denon 5803, but reviews that I have read consider the 1098 is a better purchase sonically, than the 5803. What was the cost of the 1098? If you don't mind telling us. I'm sure other forum members will provide further details.

I believe the internal cards can be removed and upgraded, perhaps Geoff can further elaborate on the hardware upgrade capablility and Rotel's status.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Ossi
      • Jul 2003

The price for this one month old display unit was 2650 $. Take in account that in Euro land the unit is priced at nearly 4200 $ including tax (why do we always get ripped off?) the price isn't that bad. However it cannot compete with what you guys pay in the US, so comparison do not really apply. And off course, the Euro is rather strong right now, so everything looks awfully expensive over here compared to the US. Anyhow, as I am right now in the UK and still for some more 3 weeks, I will not even be able to see the unit until mid June. So I guess I just need word that the unit is actually what I was looking for even though I really thought I would get outbid as my offer was rather low compared to what the unit usually goes for over here and I absolutely was sure to get outbid. So, just let’s hope the best and hopefully I will be someone that has some of the lots of problems that have been mentioned here.
      Regrads,
      Ossi

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Hi,

If you do a search there aree a number of posts comparing the RSP-1098 to the Denon 5803 - the RSP-1098 wins hands down. Try contacting Club Rotel Member Sithlord10, he was one of the first to swap and his brother (who's name I forget) did a comparative review (also posted in the forum)

Regards

Geoff

Comment

• rotel_klipsch
          • Nov 2003

Denon vrs Rotel

I owned a Denon 5803 and liked it until a salesman let me take a Rotel RB-965 MKII home to try. I was blown away with how much better the 110 watt amp sounded so I sold the denon and bought a RMB-1075 + RSP-1066 which now is two steps below the 1098 you purchased. The cheaper 1066 was an incredible improvement over the 5803 sonically, the 5803 has more bells and whistles but the only one that I missed was the second set of analog multi inputs. but that can easily be remedied with a switch..... The 1098 blows away the 1066 sonically, bottomline is that you should be in for a real treat... :T
          Get the most BANG for your BUCK

Comment

• Ossi
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by rotel_klipsch
            The cheaper 1066 was an incredible improvement over the 5803 sonically..... The 1098 blows away the 1066 sonically, bottomline is that you should be in for a real treat... :T
            Well, sorry to report than that actually my point of view on this matter is that I personally was absolutelly not impressed by the sonical performance of the 1066. You can be sure that I would have sold my mega bucks receiver since long and bought this rather cheap Pre/Pro quite a while ago if I would have been impressed in any way. The RSP 1066 is what it is, but not any competition for a top of the line receiver comparing its pre capabilities only.

However I will be doing a very critical comparision of rsp 1098 and AVC A1SE+/AVR 5803 not only sound wise but also from an overall point of view and post this in detail here in about 3 weeks when I am back in Germany.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"