X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thirsty93
    • Jan 2009

:t :t :t :t :t :t
    Last edited by Thirsty93; 18 March 2009, 12:23 Wednesday.
    Your sound room is only limited by the amount of money in your pocket.

Comment

• Thirsty93
      • Jan 2009

Well i started mine today,everything is drying now.I went ahead and painted the plastic side inserds and the side panels.I made a cardboard templete that fits on the inside of the frame between the board and the inside frame.You know how us car guys are while you got it apart you might as while paint everthing.

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Thirsty93
        I made a cardboard templete that fits on the inside of the frame between the board and the inside frame.
        Excellent idea! :T
        I must admit to being lazy since you won’t see the sides of mine when it is in my rack
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
          • Jan 2006

You make me look like such the rookie!

Well Done :T
          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• june
            • Feb 2005

hello all

great job on the black units. i had my unit for 2 weeks now running my rotel rsp-1066, rcc955 CD player & B&W P6 speakers. it seems that the speaker sound more fuller & smoother bass during 2 channel audio. also during tv time (terminator, 24 & battlestar g.) i hear more separation in surround. sometime we my think we hear more because we brought a new item. but i'm no a/v audiophile guy. just a person that like jazz & my drv, and i do hear a difference. has anyone else experienced this?
            June
            "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Johnloudb
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2007

Well, I know that power line conditioners can make a difference, so just trust you ears and enjoy. :T
              John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                Well, I know that power line conditioners can make a difference, so just trust you ears and enjoy. :T
                Bollox :rofl:
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• impala454
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2007

Now you gotta do the u-verse box
                  -Chuck

Comment

• Thirsty93
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by impala454
                    Now you gotta do the u-verse box
                    Don't think I haven't thought about it.I have to give that back one of these days i suppose. :twisted:

Comment

• Gianluca
                      • Oct 2008

Thanks for the pictures and paint types...

Gianluca
                      Sharp Aquos 40" 1080P| Rotel RSX 1056 | Classé CA-150 | Oppo BDP-83 | PS3 | APC H15 | B&W 603 S3 | B&W LCR 600 S3 | B&W 602 S3 | Sunfire True Sub Signature |

Comment

• Johnloudb
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by wettou
                        You don't what you're talking about. You never know what kind of noise your equipment may be sensitive to. Ground noise in particular. It can be very hard to design a component not sensitive to power line noise.
                        Last edited by Johnloudb; 19 March 2009, 20:56 Thursday.
                        John unk:

Comment

• wkhanna
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                          As per wiki:

"Bollocks" is a word of Anglo-Saxon origin, meaning "testicles". The word is often used figuratively in British English, as a noun to mean "nonsense", an expletive following a minor accident or misfortune, or an adjective to mean "poor quality" or "useless".

John,

Don't bother, It is even not spelled correctly.
                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna
                            As per wiki:

"Bollocks" is a word of Anglo-Saxon origin, meaning "testicles". The word is often used figuratively in British English, as a noun to mean "nonsense", an expletive following a minor accident or misfortune, or an adjective to mean "poor quality" or "useless". John, Don't bother, It is even not spelled correctly.
                            You are so smart
                            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• impala454
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2007

Don't think I haven't thought about it.I have to give that back one of these days i suppose. :twisted:
                              I see one on ebay currently... if it was cheap enough maybe you could part that one out and paint the case and use it on your actual box :B
                              -Chuck

Comment

• Opus007
                                • Nov 2007

Awesome job. :T I may have to paint mine now.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                  • Jan 2006

I just couldn't take it any longer.

It's all black now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3371.webp
Views:	66
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	942539
                                  Last edited by theSven; 24 June 2023, 19:35 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2007

Really good job on that! The gloss black on the front side panel is a nice touch. :T
                                    John unk:

Comment

• wkhanna
                                      • Jan 2006

Thanks, John.

I didn't know if the pic resolution would show the contrast of the gloss end-caps to the textured finish on the rest of the unit. I could have taken a better pic, but at the time nature was calling my name. :urinate:
                                      Last edited by wkhanna; 23 March 2009, 16:47 Monday.
                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• cwall99
                                        • Mar 2009

As a newbie here, I probably shouldn't, but I find myself compelled to agree with wettou. And the only reason is because this morning, I read an article on the 10 great lies in hi fi (or something like that). According to this article, "Your audio circuits don’t know, and don’t care, what’s on the AC side of the power transformer. All they’re interested in is the DC voltages they need."

I have to admit, I'm not an EE, so I can't attest to the accuracy, but it sure makes sense to me.

By the way, you can find the article here: http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_i...ritic_26_r.pdf. The lie is lie number 8.

Still, I do think the paint job is beautifully done, and, as someone who writes instructions for a living, I think whoever wrote the original instructions on how to do this did a terrific job.

Comment

• dtb300
                                          • Apr 2007

Instead of reading about what critics say, like Peter, try some out yourself and make a decision for you and your setup.

There are components with well designed AC circuits and it is stated they should not benefit from conditioners or cords, but some think they sound better, some think they don't. Both are parties are correct as it is what each person thinks about the change.

Comment

• scarpi
                                            • Jul 2008

And the most important reason for power conditioners is protection. If you live in an area that has thunderstorms, lightning, or just the occasional power outage, you should consider a good power conditioner that protects your expensive gear. I use a Panamax 5510 AC Regenerator for my gear except my power amp which has its own 20 amp line and is plugged into a Panamax 20 amp surge suppresor. Seems to work great and the gear is protected with a warranty from Panamax in case any gear is damaged from a surge. :T

Comment

• wkhanna
                                              • Jan 2006

I finally hooked up the H15 last night. I was not looking forward to dealing with the nightmare that exists behind my audio rack. I really need to take the time some weekend for the application of some serious cable management. In the end, it only took all of 45 min and everything went just fine. That is until I discovered all the outlets on this thing are switched. With my old M* I had outlets that stayed hot even with the power button off. That worked our great for my application, cuz I have the cable box plugged in (which has to ‘re-learn’ all the ‘info’ for the channels after being powered down for more than 15 min) and I always kept my Rotel RSP-1066 on ‘Standby’.

I guess I will just run the cable box straight to wall.

As much as I hate to say it, I liked the looks of the M* better, too. But having the superior protection is worth it.
                                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• dtb300
                                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by scarpi
                                                And the most important reason for power conditioners is protection. If you live in an area that has thunderstorms, lightning, or just the occasional power outage, you should consider a good power conditioner that protects your expensive gear. I use a Panamax 5510 AC Regenerator for my gear except my power amp which has its own 20 amp line and is plugged into a Panamax 20 amp surge suppresor. Seems to work great and the gear is protected with a warranty from Panamax in case any gear is damaged from a surge.
                                                There have been tales of *M* and equipment hits and no compensation. I wonder if Panamax has any information on this type of warranty they have provided.

For over voltage, sags, noise on the line, I like the many products available. But personally I do not trust any product for very near or direct lightening hits, I disconnect from wall - the best solution.

Comment

• Thirsty93
                                                  • Jan 2009

i just couldn't take it any longer.

It's all black now.

click image for larger version  name:	dscf3371.webp views:	0 size:	34.3 kb id:	942539

lookin good!!!! :t
                                                  Last edited by theSven; 24 June 2023, 19:36 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                    • Jan 2006

LOOKIN GOOD!!!! :T
                                                    Thanks, guy!

You motivated me.
                                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                      • Jan 2006

The evening I hooked up the H15, I only had the TV on for a short while. I had no intention of doing any critical listening. Still, something seemed different. But I just put it in the category of placebo effect.

Last night, I had time to relax and spin some vinyl. One of the ‘flat blacks’ I put on was Ramsey Lewis - 'Down to Earth'. My wife, who also likes music, but often questions my obsession, will occasionally sit with me for a listening session. She would never consider herself an ‘audiophile’ but does have a discriminating ear (it’s genetic in her case) and she truly enjoys having a decent mid-fi system in the house. Anyway, the first thing she said when she walked in the room while that LP was playing, and sat down for a few minutes was, ‘now what did you buy!?’ Pleading innocence (she did not notice the new APC and had no idea I had installed it in the system). I said ‘Nothing’. She did not buy it.

Busted!

So it is not just me. Better dynamics, noticeable improvement in the mids and blackness like a total eclipse of the sun.

Obviously, the quality of the power coming in varies from home to home, so the impact of conditioning will vary from case to case. In my case, the wife thought it was a good deal for $150.
                                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• HokieAudio
                                                        • Mar 2009

I hooked up an APC H15 tonight that I got for $99 on Amazon with free shipping. I hesitate to proclaim that it greatly improved my sound or picture because to me it's too subjective and very susceptible to placebo effect. However, if I were to point out a definite improvement, it did solve the pesky 60Hz ground loop hum I was getting out of my subwoofer. After suffering with that annoying hum for so long I would have paid 3 times over what I did to solve it. Another fringe benefit is that if I leave the power consumption displayed my roommates turn off everything when they're done using it...

Comment

• Thirsty93
                                                          • Jan 2009

The evening I hooked up the H15, I only had the TV on for a short while. I had no intention of doing any critical listening. Still, something seemed different. But I just put it in the category of placebo effect.

Last night, I had time to relax and spin some vinyl. One of the ‘flat blacks’ I put on was Ramsey Lewis - 'Down to Earth'. My wife, who also likes music, but often questions my obsession, will occasionally sit with me for a listening session. She would never consider herself an ‘audiophile’ but does have a discriminating ear (it’s genetic in her case) and she truly enjoys having a decent mid-fi system in the house. Anyway, the first thing she said when she walked in the room while that LP was playing, and sat down for a few minutes was, ‘now what did you buy!?’ Pleading innocence (she did not notice the new APC and had no idea I had installed it in the system). I said ‘Nothing’. She did not buy it.

Busted!

So it is not just me. Better dynamics, noticeable improvement in the mids and blackness like a total eclipse of the sun.

Obviously, the quality of the power coming in varies from home to home, so the impact of conditioning will vary from case to case. In my case, the wife thought it was a good deal for $150.
                                                          Well guys (lets all agree to one thing here)ANYTIME that we spend any amount of money on our system it's going to make it sound better.I know now that my h15 is black my system sounds better(You were right Bill)!!!LOL
                                                          You know the funny thing is I have my B&K right in the front and my wife hasn't noticed it yet.She's like whatever yea it sounds great.That's intill she seats down and I crank it up.I love me man room!!!!!I always tell her if that song don't sound like it's being played right infront of you,I'LL just go over to the drum kit and start playing a little Bonham beat...

Comment

• dtb300
                                                            • Apr 2007

Well guys (lets all agree to one thing here)ANYTIME that we spend any amount of money on our system it's going to make it sound better.
                                                            Boy, that is what we all hope for when we spend the $$$, improvement in sound quality (or video quality) and not just having something different. Sometimes different is cool too...

I know now that my h15 is black my system sounds better (You were right Bill)!!!LOL
                                                            Now you need to paint your room a different color to improve your sound :W

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                              • Nov 2004

Busted!

Nice Bill!!! The unit looks really good! Great job on making that black!

I'm glad you noticed a difference with it, I figured with you being so close to the radio tower it couldn't hurt to have a better conditioner.

We'll have to talk, I think we can still get your unit set up so that you can turn stuff off and on without having to use the power button on the H15. I know how you used the Monster unit with it's three switched plugs on it. We'll get something figured out for you!
                                                              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                                              -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                • Jan 2006

Well guys (lets all agree to one thing here)ANYTIME that we spend any amount of money on our system it's going to make it sound better.I know now that my h15 is black my system sounds better(You were right Bill)!!!LOL
                                                                Well of course, and it's all in our puny little minds. Because we are men, and we must justify the toys we use to assert rank within the group.
                                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• kgveteran
                                                                  • Oct 2005

Well, seems that the Belkin PureAV PF-60 is dead. My buddy shipped his back twice and the second one was defective. They no longer repair them or offer an alternative. Guess lifetime repair really isn't life time. :M

They do offer store credit, but we laughed and said lawn chairs or pool floats would be better than a piece of garbage like the PF-60.

What to do........
                                                                  Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• Thirsty93
                                                                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by kgveteran
                                                                    Well, seems that the Belkin PureAV PF-60 is dead. My buddy shipped his back twice and the second one was defective. They no longer repair them or offer an alternative. Guess lifetime repair really isn't life time. :M

They do offer store credit, but we laughed and said lawn chairs or pool floats would be better than a piece of garbage like the PF-60.

What to do........
                                                                    Get a instore credit and buy a apc. :T

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"