X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JustinGN
    • May 2009

PP or VP?

Hey everyone, I'm finally back after an extended (and forced) hiatus. First work blocked access to these forums back over the summer, and finally the contract lead back-doored me out the day before Halloween (I was the last of the "old guard" remaining on the project, so I knew it would come someday). Been looking for work since June with no success, but that's a different sob story.

My question is this - for Christmas, I got a meager gift card to Amazon to let me buy a Christmas gift. Now, I could just blow it on the dozen or so DVDs and Anime I've been pining for for months, or I could be a bit more productive with it and round out the theater some (my sole source of enjoyment since I can't leave the house without risking a ticket for illegal inspection); I chose the latter. On the audio side of things, I'm fairly happy - the Marantz SR6003 puts out enough power for all of my speakers up to reference volume without distortion, and while I'm disappointed my old PS3 can't output bitstream audio from BDs, I'm content living with LPCM (it's identical in theory to the bitstreams anyhow). Speakers are fantastic, subwoofer adds just the right amount of atmosphere, calibration is finally how I like it, etc. Video and Power are the two realms left to address, and I'm satisfied with neither.

In August, I picked up a Panasonic 50" G25 panel, calibrated it, and have been thoroughly enjoying it. SD sources look fairly good on it, and HD sources look brilliant in comparison to my old Sharp LC46D64U - if it weren't for the constant worry of burn-in from gaming, I'd go whole-house-Plasma when I'm employed again. It's not a 3D panel since the active shutter glasses give me headaches, so I'm not concerned with 3D source material or passthrough capabilities. That said, I am concerned with the Marantz SR6003: video processing has always been its weak point, with analog signals at the extreme edges of the RGB range throwing the built-in video processor into a hissy fit, requiring an entire system reboot (everything off, wait, everything back on). It also has a substantial lack of inputs on the HDMI side of things, and lacks other amenities such as VGA/RGBHV inputs.

To solve the video problem, I was looking at putting the gift card towards a DVDO Edge and sticking it after the receiver, but before the TV, and set the receiver to pass-through all formats without any conversions (using it as a giant matrix switcher, in essence). The receiver's component, s-video, composite and HDMI outputs would feed into the Edge, and the Edge would handle all necessary conversions. Devices that can convert content (such as the PS3) would also be set to "Pure"/Straight modes, putting the entire burden on the Edge. Since most of my collection is in DVD format or streamed from the PC to my WDTV Live, this seems like the best option, even if it'll cost me an extra $100 out of pocket compared to option 2. As for why the Edge and not the iScan Duo, the main reason is that I lack the tools to get the Plasma as close to reference as possible so that a CMS could do the remaining adjustments, nor do I need custom aspect ratios; when I'm employed again and building out a proper, projector-based theater, then the iScan Duo or VP50 will be on the list.

Option 2: Power around here in WV is plentiful and cheap, no doubt about that. However, there's a number of sags, spikes and dips that do enough damage to trip circuit breakers a few times a year, and I'm not too confident in the internal wiring of the building (while it is new construction, the constant lightbulb burnouts are getting frustrating to say the least, as are the dead electrical bulb sockets). I have "nice" surge protectors in the form of power strips, but I just feel like my theater isn't well protected. It's gotten to the point that I'll even unplug the surge protectors during nasty lightning storms in the summer, if only to ease my paranoia and fears. So I began looking into Power Conditioners/Surge Protectors/Power Plants designed for Home Theaters specifically. After combing through most of the snake oil, I found the Belkin PF60 and PF30 series power plants, with the PF60 intriguing me the most. I've heard and seen a lot of great things about Belkin, but they're not exactly known for quality of power in the IT world (APC takes that award, and while I know they too make PPs, I can't find one in the price range I have in mind). The Belkin PF60 is about $100 less than the Edge, but I'm doubting the quality of the improvements (if any) it can make, so I'm curious what folks here think of them.

What do you all think I should do? DVDO Edge for a quality video experience, or Belkin PF60 for peace of mind?
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

I have the DVDO edge and think so much of it, that I actually got a second one for the bedroom tv. Could not stand looking at the cable box without the edge.
    Used carefully it can really make your video signal no matter where it originates from, look great. Works great no matter if you are using projector, plasma or LCD tv.
    Add to that it also acts as a great HDMI switch with automatic switching and power and I would not hesitate to cast my vote to the edge..

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"