X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonicbaer
    • Jul 2006

Power conditioners...??

I know this subject seems to get out of control and I'm not trying to start any trouble...I don't want to be exiled ..I'm just getting started..

My dealer was kind enough (I think) to lend me some Transparent power connectors...when I connected them in place of my OEM cables, I think I heard a difference..I'm well aware of the placebo effect..but I was trying to believe in the voodoo camp..I didn't really want to spend big dollars for some copper wire...

After listening for awhile (week) it didn't seem to sound much different,then I put my OEM cables back on...damn,,,it sounded different...sounded like something was missing...I took the loaners cables back and told them
    I didn't want to spend that much money at this time ..it sounded nicer but not enough to justify the cost...and I was probably suffering from some placebo narcosis.

My "kind" dealer took me into the back room..the one with 800's and the T+A cd player and amps..and the full Transparent set up..speaker cables, power cords, and Transparent power conditioners..they did the double blind test with me and I did in each case find the Transparent power coditioners and cables better...So this is for those who believe...(by the way all the guys at the shop do use this stuff in their personal systems but some of them have equipment that cost more than my first house).

I'm going to play with the power conditioners and power cables..but I don't really want to pay out to Transparents price tag..what other power conditioners have you heard that seem to work and which ones do I want to stay away from?

I'm even intrigued by the Monster 7000..but it is pretty pricey (politics aside) does any one have and honest appraisal of this power conditioner ?

I've been searching the net for days and find it difficult to find any comparison reviews of available equipment...

PS..so as not to cause any problems...the non-believers don't need to reply..I'm new at this and I need to investigate and experience things myself..
    just looking for guidance in finding good equipment to play with..

Michael
  • Snap
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2005

Those that believe in the gear have there own opinions as to what works better. I use Furman for all Pro applications, and some HT. I have also used Pure AV. I am sure that there are those that will say they are good, and some that will say they suck.

I really like the furman. I have not had any problems when I have used Monster either. Just remember.....

"The bitterness of poor quaility last longer than the Joy of Low prices"

Enjoy!
    The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I have and always will recommend APC products for power conditioning/surge protection. Great products that are quite fairly priced :T Rotel also sells a line of rebadged APC units if you prefer their esthetics
      Jason

Comment

• dorsai78664
        • Jul 2006

I like to point people towards these articles on Power Protection in Home Theater. I found this when researching a bit on power in relation to HT setups.

EDIT: I will not that in my own experience, I saw and heard very little (if any) difference in sound or picture quality. However, I bought these more for protecting my system than improving quality.

You can still find the Monster HTS 3500 MKII on Amazon for half the price of the Monster HTS 1600 that is sold in big box stores. The 3500 offers stage 3 protection and a cool analog display...if you like those types of things...

I currently use a Monster HTS 1600 (yeah, I bought retail before shopping around) in the living room and a Belkin Pure A/V system in the bedroom. I'm happy with both. Panamax also makes conditioners at an affordable price.

Comment

• sonicbaer
          • Jul 2006

Seems the more I read the more confused and cynical I become..

Interesting..that I cannot seem to find an article or review comparing side by side all the power line conditioners...

My dealer has offered to let me take home the 2 condtioners he carries..Richard gray and Transparent, haven't found any other dealers so generous ..yet ..with other brands..I'd like to try Furman and Shunyata and even Monster..

..I'll keep searching and let you know what I discover..

MB

Comment

• Snap
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2005

There is one time that I have seen a powerconditioner do visable good. The place had no joke dirty power. The wiring was 20 plus years old and well...... not to good. You saw a lot of jitters, funny looking dots and well.....the picture looked like crap. I threw in a Pure AV power filter and the Toshiba DLP cleaned up just fine. No more lines on the TV, no spots and the works. So I have seen it work before. Now new construction, or clean power you might not even notice a difference. But if you had dirty power...... then a PC can make a difference. For sure get power protection, that is a must. Definatly in the south were T-Storms happen all the time.
            The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• benny
              • Jan 2005

I read a ton of reviews, etc. on the Ricahrd Grey units a year or two back when I was looking around. They seemed to get great reviews across the board. You should try one in your house for a few weeks and see if you like it.

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Have yourselves a gander at this thread

Jason

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"