X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • volfandan
    • Nov 2005

Bi-wiring????????

Have heard arguments for and against. Here is my receiver-speaker setup....so please give me some advice based on my setup.

Denon AVR-3805

Klipsch RF-3 II's

Thanks guys!
    danny
  • june
    • Feb 2005

I was told to strip the wire to feed through both post for the best sound. We are doing this with our Paradigm studio 100's.
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

This is always a "touchy" subject. I have always bi-wired my speakers, double bi-wired actually. It does make a difference, but it is slight. Best thing to do is to test it out.

I would at least inverst in some decent jumpers, not the usual metal plates that usually come with speakers. That may get you a little better sound with not so much investment.
      Danish

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI, volfandan,
        My speaker wiring practices are identical to dyanzdani's. I have noted small but definite improvements. Experience tells me that the better the speaker, the more improvement you will hear.

Double bi-wiring is a hastle because so many speaker wires must be hidden but it is worth the trouble, IMO. I only bi-wire my front speakers.

Why this is a touchy subject is beyond me but I know it is.

Sparky

Edited to Add: Upon further thought, I'm not sure that I use what dyanzdani is calling double bi-wiring. I run a pair of wires, both plus and minus, to each driver. Thus my two way 805S's each have a total of four wires. Is this double bi-wiring? Maybe not.

Comment

• GregLett
          • May 2005

I've tried double bi- wiring, and single wiring using a jumper made from
          the same cable. I did not hear a difference, so I saved the cash. Of course
          now with the XT4's it doesn't matter.

But you have to try it for yourself.
          Greg

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Karma
            HI, volfandan,
            My speaker wiring practices are identical to dyanzdani's. I have noted small but definite improvements. Experience tells me that the better the speaker, the more improvement you will hear.
            Agreed

Edited to Add: Upon further thought, I'm not sure that I use what dyanzdani is calling double bi-wiring. I run a pair of wires, both plus and minus, to each driver. Thus my two way 805S's each have a total of four wires. Is this double bi-wiring? Maybe not.
            Yes, that is the same definition that I am using.
            Danish

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Double bi-wiring is actually a redundant term, it is simply known as bi-wiring. Speakers that have bi-wiring capabilities will have four sets of binding post, two for low frequency (+ and - post), and two for high frequency.

Some say bi-wiring makes a difference some say not, still others say bi-amping makes the biggest difference in sound, but that's another subject.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• dyazdani
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Azeke
                Double bi-wiring is actually a redundant term, it is simply known as bi-wiring. Speakers that have bi-wiring capabilities will have four sets of binding post, two for low frequency (+ and - post), and two for high frequency.

Some say bi-wiring makes a difference some say not, still others say bi-amping makes the biggest difference in sound, but that's another subject.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
                "Double" or "Shotgun" bi-wiring is having two unique/external sets of cables running from your amp to your speakers. Basically, it requires TWO regular stereo pairs of speaker cable.

A "single" bi-wire means that there is one cable with four internal wires, a pair for each set of posts. These wires are purpose built with the internal structure. Like this:
                Danish

Comment

• GregLett
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by dyazdani
                  "Double" or "Shotgun" bi-wiring is having two unique/external sets of cables running from your amp to your speakers. Basically, it requires TWO regular stereo pairs of speaker cable.

A "single" bi-wire means that there is one cable with four internal wires, a pair for each set of posts. These wires are purpose built with the internal structure. Like this:
                  That's correct.
                  Greg

Comment

• Azeke
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2003

My apologies gentlemen, you are correct, I've known this as shotgun wiring:

"One can Double-BiWire by stacking connectors at the amp, or by simply ordering Double-BiWire cables. We simply join the two cables together at the amp end before attaching the terminations. The price is simply the same as adding together the price of the two cables, whether the same model or different model."

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Shane Martin
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Apr 2001

I've tried the double bi wire and noticed a slight difference. Not worth the expense though. I stuck with the single run.

It's a touchy subject because it's not scientifically proven fact thus it gets the goat of the usual skeptics.

Try it for yourself and hear what you hear. There's no definitive answer.

Comment

• dyazdani
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                        I've tried the double bi wire and noticed a slight difference. Not worth the expense though. I stuck with the single run.

It's a touchy subject because it's not scientifically proven fact thus it gets the goat of the usual skeptics.

Try it for yourself and hear what you hear. There's no definitive answer.
                        Agreed, even though I do have mine double bi-wired. I do think there is an advantage in that you can somewhat taylor the sound to your liking. You can have two different types of cable, one for the HF and one for the LF. This sometimes yields positive results.
                        Danish

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI All,
                          The improvement I hear is what seems to be improved time alignment in the tweeter performance. I notice no particular difference in the midrange performance. But the tweeter seems to exhibit less time smear.

Please don't ask me to technically justify this view. I can't. But that does not mean there is no effect. I'm only reporting what my ears are telling me. And we must believe out ears, right??? 8)

Sparky

Comment

• mikej
                            • Oct 2005

I have my B&W's bi-wired and there is a "cleaner" sound, somewhat better than before. So for few extra dollars, I thought it was worth it.

mike

Comment

• peterS
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Karma
                              HI All,
                              The improvement I hear is what seems to be improved time alignment in the tweeter performance. I notice no particular difference in the midrange performance. But the tweeter seems to exhibit less time smear.

Please don't ask me to technically justify this view. I can't. But that does not mean there is no effect. I'm only reporting what my ears are telling me. And we must believe out ears, right??? 8)

Sparky
                              thats all it is supose to do :T

Comment

• bvk_houtx
                                • Apr 2005

I have the same front speakers plus a RC3-II, biwired, using a McIntsoh MHT100. I could not tell any difference. It appears to be a scam started by the cable companies, but that's just my opinion.

Comment

• KeithM
                                  • Oct 2005

I think it sounds the same biwired as using a wire 3 guages lower. As for biamping, that's a different story.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"