X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kent Turb0
    • Jun 2005

"+/- 2 Db Reference Axis"

Deleted
    Last edited by Kent Turb0; 16 June 2018, 21:09 Saturday.
  • Snap
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2005

Kent,
    +/-3DB off axis means that if you put a voltage at a certain hz , the speaker will give you an audible sound that's no more than 3 decibels louder or softer than the speaker's median response.

The problem with this is, when you sit/stand your ears may or may not fall into the "axis" area. So you might actually hear a 6 db change.

Some people say that +/-2 Db is a better speaker. I personally would not care if it was a 2 or a 3. I hope that this answers your question.

Snap
    The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Paul H
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Kent Turb0
      Hello all, I have a really weird question to ask about speakers specs. If you've noticed, next to the speaker frequency response, it says for example, "+/- 3 Db on reference axis" and on some its +/- 2 DB. What does that mean? Is one better than the other? Thank you.

"Lies, damn lies and statistics"

The specs are meaningless without further information on how they were measured and what sort of 'rounding' was applied to the results.

Paul

Comment

• Kent Turb0
        • Jun 2005

Deleted
        Last edited by Kent Turb0; 16 June 2018, 21:09 Saturday.

Comment

• KeithM
          • Oct 2005

I wish the companies would tell where the 2-3 db peak/null is rather than just say that. And as for 2 vs 3, your ears don't have a flat frequency response anyways, so either will work and most can't tell a difference.

Comment

• Clive
            Former Moderator
            • Jan 2002

Hello Kent and others. This thread is very informative and a pleasant read. I allowed this thread to continue to this point. I would really like to to keep this CLUB for beginners to HT. At this point I'd recommend that if you need continue further discussions on this subject to throw it to those guys in DYI.

We don't want to create a scare for new and upcoming enthusiats.
            CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"