X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiese02
    • Dec 2005

Subwoofer Suggestions

Hello, Im kinda new to the whole home theatre scene. I do however own a sony surround sound system hooked to a Toshiba 51 projection tv. My problem is that the 50w powered subwoofer that came with my surround system has recently quit working. It is about 4 yrs old so its expected. My dilemma is that i want to upgrade to a nicer powered subwoofer but have a tight budget. Can anyone suggest a nice subwoofer that wont break the bank.

Thanks,
    Kiese
  • Rolyasm
    • Dec 2004

How big is your room? What do you define as "breaking the bank"? More info please.
    Roly

Comment

• Wayne E
      • May 2004

What do you define as "breaking the bank"?
      For most people, this is about $300.

Comment

• kiese02
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Rolyasm
        How big is your room? What do you define as "breaking the bank"? More info please.
        Roly
        Sorry about that, the room is in the basement and its about 16x40 (drywall on the walls and a drop ceiling. I have a 16x20 area with couch tv,etc and my speakers positioned around them. As far as breaking the bank, $300 is about where my bank runs out, haha. I do want something that will let you know its there. Any info would help.

Comment

• kiese02
          • Dec 2005

Yes, 300 is about the range i'm looking for.

Thanks,
          Kiese

Comment

• MDJones
            • Sep 2005

I would look into the Cadence XSUB - This runs $229 and is supposedly a very potent 12" sub that has good output down to ~25Hz or so. [suggestion to search other forum deleted by admin, we substitute suggestion to search Google or like]

XSUB

Also check out the Acoustech H-100, which is pretty comparable to the Cadance. Your room is fairly large, so ideally you would want something much larger, but for under $300, both subs I mentioned would be good choices.

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

I know this is a little bit out of your range (by about 150)...but this is seriously one of the best subwoofers I've heard for under 600-700...

SVS PB10-ISD

This is definitely where anyone looking for subs at the 450 and less should start out. I have yet to hear any sub that will come CLOSE to what this little thing can do. Plus with the return policy and help directly from Tom and Ron (owners/creators)...they have one of the best support team around.

Here's a nice review in Secrets by Ed Mullen
              Last edited by PewterTA; 19 December 2005, 10:51 Monday.
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

For that level of cash, I second the pb10isd.

Comment

• MDJones
                  • Sep 2005

I 100% agree that the SVS is a hands-down winner (just about every sub SVS makes is). However, the PB10-ISD will cost $429 plus shipping (~$100 I think). If you have the extra money, definitely choose this one. But, if you really can't break $300, I suggest the Cadence as a lower cost alternative.

Comment

• Rolyasm
                    • Dec 2004

You might also consider an Earthquake MK IV-10 for about $350.00. It is a very credible sub.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                      • Jan 2002

I researched the Earthquakes pretty heavily here recently... quite a heavy hitter and this may be closer to your price range... BUT if there's any way you can stretch the money to pick up the SVS... definitely go for it.

Shane will be happy to learn I just ordered me up TWO SVS PB12-plus/2's for my theater. Sold the HGS-15. I said I'd do it one day.

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Sonnie Parker
                        I researched the Earthquakes pretty heavily here recently... quite a heavy hitter and this may be closer to your price range... BUT if there's any way you can stretch the money to pick up the SVS... definitely go for it.

Shane will be happy to learn I just ordered me up TWO SVS PB12-plus/2's for my theater. Sold the HGS-15. I said I'd do it one day.
                        Congrats Sonnie! :T :E :P
                        Jason

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"