X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • britrover
    • Sep 2005

Suggestions for HT Surround Sound Processor

I’m looking to add a separate Surround processor for my HT set up. Currently my fronts L + R are powered by McIntosh MC 7200, the center channel and surrounds + subwoofer are hooked into the Harman Kardon AVR 235. The HK is acting as a part processor and part amp as well.

I’m just beginning to look at processors and so far have B&K and Rotel on my list……………any suggestions on other brands I should look at also I listen to a lot of music so would like something that matches well with my McIntosh. I do want to get a processor that has 7.1 capabilities and can be used with SACD and DVD A

Any direction / suggestions would be much appreciated
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

What is your SSP budget?

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Yeah budget will go a LONG way of dictating which pre/pro to get. Though frankly with things like HDMI switching, room correction, new Dolby formats etc coming out... I'd likely stick to a "budget" pre from the likes of Outlow, Rotel, Sherwood Newcastle, Nad etc. until those features arrive on the next generation units.
      Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

Aud,
        The Sherwood has HDMI switching(coming via an external HDMI box) and Room Correction. Easy choice there.

Another interesting choice is the Arcam which runs around $2100 US. I assumed that when you mentioned the B&K and Rotel, you were in that range.

Comment

• britrover
          • Sep 2005

Range is up to $2.5K. I'm keen on getting a musical processor that is warm sounding ,pairs well with my McIntosh amplifier and also sounds good for HT.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Yup Shane that's why I mentioned it However, there's still the new Dolby format coming and a breakout box is a good compromise/solution but it is a compromise. I just wouldn't spend much more than a couple grand personally at this time. The Sherwood would certainly be on my short list though :T
            Jason

Comment

• britrover
              • Sep 2005

Thanks for the input so far……I did some research and am looking at getting a used Krell, Parasound, TagMclaren or Sunfire probably 5.1 set up as I really don’t have space for a 7.1 set up currently.

I'm leaning towards a used Krell 5.1 processor or a Sunfire Theatregrand Any thoughts on which will be more musical pre-map to be paired with the McIntosh.

Cheers

Comment

• gd
                • Jan 2003

Used Krell, huh?... that suggests you favor audio quality over the latest HT features.

Perhaps in a league with Krell -- and at the outermost edge of your budget -- is the Cary C6... haven't heard it myself, but the few reports I've seen on other forums are very enthusiastic.

Arcam is excellent -- and very flexible -- for $2K, you could use their loaded receiver as a pre/pro.

And frankly, as a solid music machine, I wouldn't dismiss the Rotel out of hand, either.

At that price point, try to audition at home if you can.
                greg (gd to you)
                Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

There is a gentlemen in the Pawnshop selling his RSP 1098 within your budget.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"