X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • earwit
    • Jun 2006

Pre-Amp Processor Suggestions

Well the way I see it, Amps and speakers only change a small degree over
    time, Pre-amps in the digital domain are always changing.

I'm looking from a pre-amp that takes HDMI into account. If
    you like it or not I beleive the future is HD-Dvd and Blue Ray.
    They will eventaully be outputing audio/video signals in HDMI 1.3
    for Digital Plus and DTS-hd,

I've looked at the Anthem D2 as an option, not just because it has HDMI
    but also because Anthem is quick to offer software and hardware updates.

If the Mcintosh offered a HDMI pre-amp would buy it.

Any suggestions ????
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Of course, no pre/pro today has HDMI 1.3!

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Well, remember, that HDMI 1.3 isn't even ***STANDARDIZED*** yet, much less released and integrated into equipment yet! If you want HDMI audio integrated to your equipment now, you'll have to accept limited capability to one extent or another. (decoded to PCM, not every format supported, etc) I'd advise waiting a few months or so for full implementation that is proven.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• alpina
        • Nov 2005

hi earwit,

sadly you will have to wait if you want all the things your looking for.

i too am waiting for the hdmi equipped byrston sp2.

dont expect to see to this sort of gear till next year.

julie
        My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• alebonau
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
          Well, remember, that HDMI 1.3 isn't even ***STANDARDIZED*** yet, much less released and integrated into equipment yet! If you want HDMI audio integrated to your equipment now, you'll have to accept limited capability to one extent or another. (decoded to PCM, not every format supported, etc) I'd advise waiting a few months or so for full implementation that is proven.
          according to this article here from a few days ago HDMI v1.3 got approved

either way will take a while for hte manufacturers to accept and roll out in their products. pre-pro's always seem the last to get the latest bells and whistles expect the mass market receivers to get them first. And ofcourse to make use of it we will need source components and displays with the technology onboard to make the best of it. Given how new this is, that the new HD players are only just coming out and true HD displays are few and far between I'd say its goign to be hell of a long time before its really of much use.

my suggestion buy somethign that basically does what you want(any receiver or processor) but dont spend too much on it and in a year or two when all this is more commonplace then consider upgrading.
          Last edited by Chris D; 05 December 2016, 12:40 Monday.
          "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• LEVESQUE
            • Oct 2002

I'm using the new Anthem D2 with my Toshiba HD-DVD player (HD-A1) and the new Samsung Blu-Ray player (BD-P1000) with great results.

1080p and the new HD audio formats over HDMI 1.1. PQ is unbelievable with the D2 integrated Gennum VXP scaler and my Sony Ruby. The new DD+ tracks are also a big improvement to my ears. I can even post-process all the new HD audio formats with THX or DPLIIx if I want to.

Why wait? It's working today. :B There is always something better, or a new "standard" or formats coming down the road... You can wait, and wait, and wait... Or you can use it when it's here.

We have HD for video and audio today. I'm enjoying it fully right now. :B
            To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Ralph P.
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by LEVESQUE
              I'm using the new Anthem D2 with my Toshiba HD-DVD player (HD-A1) and the new Samsung Blu-Ray player (BD-P1000) with great results.

1080p and the new HD audio formats over HDMI 1.1. PQ is unbelievable with the D2 integrated Gennum VXP scaler and my Sony Ruby. The new DD+ tracks are also a big improvement to my ears. I can even post-process all the new HD audio formats with THX or DPLIIx if I want to.

Why wait? It's working today. :B There is always something better, or a new "standard" or formats coming down the road... You can wait, and wait, and wait... Or you can use it when it's here.

We have HD for video and audio today. I'm enjoying it fully right now. :B

Greetings,

I have to second the above. I will be receiving my Anthem AVM 50 this week and am looking forward to it. I had initially decided to wait for HDMI 1.3 and what it offered however I grew tired of not having the features offered by HDMI 1.1.

I love my current B&K Reference 50 S2 and will keep it. The Anthem will be headed things up in the theater room though. It just brings too much to the table and as previously stated why continue to wait when these options are available?

Best of luck ! :T
              Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
              Blu-ray Disc Reviews
              AVSForum.com
              My Home Theater
              My DVD Collection

Comment

• earwit
                • Jun 2006

Thanks Guys for your responses.

It's trully amazing , that HD-Dvd, and Blue-ray have finally come out and are using Hdmi outputs, that so many of the ultra hi-end Audio/Video manufacturers still have not adopted the HDMI format.

I would love to know how much Anthem's market has has risen on the hi-end market. Not just for HDMI, but also for the quality built-in video scaler.

To you Levesque, you trully are a pioneer, leading the way. while others say
                HD-Dvd, Blue ray still has too many problems, your simply enjoying it...

Ralph, I have read your reviews for years on another Forum, and am glad
                to see you here.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"