How to use a Digital signal processor to create surround sound?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alantino
    • Mar 2007

How to use a Digital signal processor to create surround sound?

Hi everybody,

I'm new here and had some problem on surround sound system.
    Actually what is a surround sound system??
    Is 3D sound different from surround sound?
    If i to connect my PC sound card output to my digital signal
    processor(*only 2 output channel),
    is it capable of giving me a surround sound?
    Is there any recommended website to readup as i'm quite interested.

Thanks. :B
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Surround sound is discrete channels encoded separately.

3d sound is usually an applied processing thing that makes sound come from all your surround speakers in such a way that there is some vague sense of 3d space - though perhaps very wrongly. It's use is fairly limited n my experience.

Your DSP manual will tell you if it can accept 2 channel analog and do its thing. Unless I'm hearing that your DSP only outputs 2 channels, in which case no - surround means ya gotta have surround outputs.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Alantino
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cjd
      Surround sound is discrete channels encoded separately.

3d sound is usually an applied processing thing that makes sound come from all your surround speakers in such a way that there is some vague sense of 3d space - though perhaps very wrongly. It's use is fairly limited n my experience.

Your DSP manual will tell you if it can accept 2 channel analog and do its thing. Unless I'm hearing that your DSP only outputs 2 channels, in which case no - surround means ya gotta have surround outputs.

C
      Thanks cjd,

Do u have any recomended website where they teach u how to create surround sound?

Comment

• Davey
        • Jan 2003

A simple, crude "ambience-type" four-speaker system can be programmed with a DSP unit without too much trouble. You'd need to create a L-R signal by polarity-inverting one channel and then summing with the other.
        Apply a delay of about 10mS to the L-R signal and send it to one of the rear speakers.
        Apply a delay of about 20mS to the L-R signal and send it to the other rear channel.

This is a bit fancier version of the scheme used by David Hafler many years ago. Google.

The simple "surround" modes available on a typical preamp/processor are implemented with this same basic process.

However, as Chris noted, true surround sound is only achieved with (separate) discrete channels.

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

• Alantino
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Davey
          A simple, crude "ambience-type" four-speaker system can be programmed with a DSP unit without too much trouble. You'd need to create a L-R signal by polarity-inverting one channel and then summing with the other.
          Apply a delay of about 10mS to the L-R signal and send it to one of the rear speakers.
          Apply a delay of about 20mS to the L-R signal and send it to the other rear channel.

This is a bit fancier version of the scheme used by David Hafler many years ago. Google.

The simple "surround" modes available on a typical preamp/processor are implemented with this same basic process.

However, as Chris noted, true surround sound is only achieved with (separate) discrete channels.

Cheers,

Davey.
          Hi Davey, thanks for the reply.

If my processor input is a 2 channel audio source, will i still be able to achieve surround sound(discrete channels) with a DVD-Audio source [Quad(4.0)]?

What i intend to do is to use 2 processor(total of 4 channel) for my Surround L+R, center and rear channel.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"