X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • servicetech
    • Sep 2007

Surround Speaker project

I'm planning on building some surround speakers that will be mounted where the wall and ceiling meet. The wall is 10' high, the room is 20' wide. Primary seating area is in the middle, against the back wall.

1: I want to make the enclosures angled at the front so the sound won't be shooting across the ceiling, What angle should I use?
    2: Are there any other factors to consider for a speaker having 2 surfaces next to it?
    3: Are there budget surround speakers in the Mission accomplished section?
  • bonehead848
    • Apr 2007

It is not ideal to have the speaker next to two surfaces but for surround I wouldnt worry about it. Also whats your budget? There are some cheap cheap designs ($20 each) to not so cheap designs floating around so it depends on what you are wanting.

Comment

• servicetech
      • Sep 2007

I'm trying to use as many of the parts I have on hand as possible. Already have some Dayton ND20 tweeters, and some 6" woofers. I know I would need to to do a bit of testing on the woofers to see what their specs are.

The original plan was just to add the Dayton tweeter to the 6" speakers with a 5.1uf cap, perhaps I can improve on that design w/o adding too much to the cost of the project. I should be able to at least beat Bose speakers (I know that's not saying much).

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by servicetech
        1: I want to make the enclosures angled at the front so the sound won't be shooting across the ceiling, What angle should I use?
        Aim the tweeters at the listening position

2: Are there any other factors to consider for a speaker having 2 surfaces next to it?
        There's boundry loading.

3: Are there budget surround speakers in the Mission accomplished section?
        Not specifically, I suppose the TriTrix MT could be used as such.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• bonehead848
          • Apr 2007

zaph has a design that he is going to be updating to use the nd20 and is very inexpensive. It would use a different woofer but that would save you from having to design a crossover. See it here http://zaphaudio.com/ZBM4.html

What 6" speakers do you have?

Comment

• servicetech
            • Sep 2007

They are actually some TV speakers I rescued. They looked pretty healthy so I figured I'd try to use them in a project.

On the box it says 30W, 8ohm, 96db, 60hz. Typically Samsung likes to use ported cabinets internal to the TV, I'll either have to measure one to get the volume I need or calculate based on driver parameters.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"