This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bhuskins
    • Aug 2003

I'll have to check the date of mine...I've tested the pluge and it passed. I don't use my 3910 that much though so it wouldn't be a huge issue for me. Have you read that certain firmware revisions have the issue or specific hardware? I find that some of us tech types are a little driven to always have the latest firmware for everything we own and it's not always the best solution. Many times a manufacturer throws out a fix that cause another unrelated problem. For example, it might make the DVD player's menu control slightly more responsive by a 10th of a second but it screws up the black level...no thanks. This is even worse in the software industry though.

Yet another reason why I like Parasound's philosophy on software updates. A lot of the other guys out there that get updates every couple of weeks to fix bugs for their PrePro is no fun...especially for the dealer trying to support it.

Brent Huskins
    Media Design
    HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Yeah, Brent, in the case of the 3910, that's what seems to have happened to me. My player didn't pass pluge. So I updated to the most recent -9 software, which didn't fix the pluge. But now my component outputs only pass a 4:3 signal, so the aspect ratio is screwed up.

Looking all over the web, there's at least 15 instances I can see where people have verified that players made after August 2004 won't pass pluge. None of the firmware updates have fixed it, so it may be a hardware problem.

Anyways, I'll take my 3910 woes over to the more appropriate sub-forum so we can keep this Parasound-focused.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• rkburton
        • Feb 2005

Any suggestions for the most simple (ie: cheape$t), reliable DVD player with optical out for the audio aspect and HDMI for the image aspect?
        I have a feeling that this will be the first item upgraded once all is set up.

Parasound Halo C2
        Krell 250 a/3
        Krell 250a
        Krell 250a
        B&W 801 Matrix Series 2
        B&W HTM Matrix Center
        B&W 804 (side surrounds)
        B&W 805 (rear surrounds)
        Samsung 46" 750TOC

Comment

• bhuskins
          • Aug 2003

Welcome to the forum RK. :banana: ...that's from Chris D

Probably the Bravo D2

Brent Huskins
          Media Design
          HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• bhuskins
            • Aug 2003

may not be the most reliable though...

Brent Huskins
            Media Design
            HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• goldear
              • Aug 2003

If you don't mind using a DVI adaptor, you might want to look at the low-end Denon 1910. It uses a slightly different Faroudja chipset than the higher-end models...but video supposedly looks the same. Secret's review has it passing all the important tests. I was actually looking at this for a stop-gap until the HD mess gets settled. Anyone have this?
              Chris B

Comment

• bhuskins
                • Aug 2003

The 1910's are great...I've sold a few and have had no issues. Definitely more reliable as well. The DVI adapter won't affect anything either.

Brent Huskins
                Media Design
                HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• goldear
                  • Aug 2003

Thanks Brent. I didn't even know this little model existed until today when I saw one for sale at A-gon. Not a bad price, either
                  Chris B

Comment

• Kens1
                    • Mar 2005

I bought the Panasonic s97 dvd player a couple of months ago to tie me over until the HD thing happens. It is HDMI and plays dvd audio. I haven't compared it against other HDMI players but it was a big improvement over component video - brighter and crisper picture. It also uses the faroudja processer.
                    Oh yeah - it's very affordable. $330.00 Canadian which is about $200.00 American.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

For the past 2 years, I've been hesitant to buy a DVD player with the very real possibility all along that a Halo DVD player was about to be released. Who knows.
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• rkburton
                        • Feb 2005

I can't find the Panny S97S anywhere. It seems perfect, but it's out of stock in all the Googled locations.
                        Did it get replaced with a similar model number?

Parasound Halo C2
                        Krell 250 a/3
                        Krell 250a
                        Krell 250a
                        B&W 801 Matrix Series 2
                        B&W HTM Matrix Center
                        B&W 804 (side surrounds)
                        B&W 805 (rear surrounds)
                        Samsung 46" 750TOC

Comment

• Duke
                          • Dec 2004

Just got my Esoteric DV50S as well. Sounds killer with my JM labs 927Be's. Much better than my Pioneer 47-avi

Comment

• mikepinkerton
                            • Jun 2004

I'm surprised nobody else is running a Panasonic RP91. One of the best progressive pictures around with prices under the stratosphere.

I can't upgrade because nothing comes close. Sigh.

-Mike

Comment

• ralniv
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by rkburton
                              Any suggestions for the most simple (ie: cheape$t), reliable DVD player with optical out for the audio aspect and HDMI for the image aspect?
                              I have a feeling that this will be the first item upgraded once all is set up.
                              I had the same criteria as you and ended up buying the Oppo Digital OPDV971H and a Gefen DVI->HDMI converter. The picture quality is second to none unless you feel like spending 10x more. Read more about its performance at Secrets of Home Theater High Fidelity

Be prepared to run a calibration DVD because almost everyone needs to turn up the DVD player brightness setting to get the right SMPTE color bar appearance. My brightness is +8, but it will vary depending on your display (all the other settings were OK at defaults -- also typical for this player).

Comment

• LuckyLuke
                                • Jun 2005

Hi,

I'm using a Marantz dv9500, my old Denon dv2800 wasn't up for the task

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

Got a Pioneer DV 868 avi and am pretty happy with it.

I was thinking about Krell Dvd

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

Again guys, this topic of OFF topic. If it's not about Halo or Parasound, it don't belong in this Club-
                                    Doug
                                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"