Good DVD player recommendations up to $500?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boe
    • Jul 2004

Good DVD player recommendations up to $500?

Hello,

I'm looking for a good (but not outrageously good) dvd player to hold me over until the HD/Blue laser issue is resolved. I'm willing to pay up to $500. I have an older model that glitches even on straight out of the wrapper DVD's. My other DVD player doesn't have this issue.

First priority is good decoding.

Second priority - best player for DVD's with very good surround such as LOTR. Not sure if there are and DTS-NEO or DPLII DVD players. - your input would be helpful.

Third priority - single player. I don't like multiplayers.

I would leave the other priorities to people who know more about this stuff than I do - your advice on DAC and other items I should be looking for up to you. I don't really care about HDMI or anything else since my current unit doesn't support it and I would imagine it won't be an issue till I upgrade to a blue ray or HDDVD player.

Thank you for your advice!
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Denon makes some pretty descent machines, I had a DVD900 and just bumped up to the DVD1910 (HD) for $249 usd and its a good little machine. It isn't dvda or sacd capable but for a song its a well rounded dvd/ cd player.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I'd look at one of the universal Denon's as a fantasic DVD player that should fill your needs for a long time to come.

Comment

• boe
        • Jul 2004

Thanks for the advice about Denon. I know it sounds crazy but I find it hard to take a company seriously that hasn't worked on their web page since the Internet was invented. Surely they make enough money to actually pay someone instead of using Craig's list to get it developed for free.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Yeah Denon's not leading the pack for web design but they do make a nice DVD player.

Comment

• boe
            • Jul 2004

I'll check out the 2910 - it is about $100 out of my planned budget but that happens to me a lot

Comment

• springer49
              • Oct 2004

I would seriously consider a used 2900. I just picked up a demo for $450 and it's dvd-audio and sacd capable.

Comment

• boe
                • Jul 2004

I appreciate your suggestion on a used one but it would have to be around $300 for me to consider it. I realize the 2900 is a very good unit but for $575 new, I have a hard time getting a previous years model. There is something about new.

Comment

• shokhead
                  • Jan 2005

Yamaha C750 $299 multi disc,plays all discs inc DVD-A and SACD.

Comment

• mcwilson
                    • Sep 2004

Samsung Hd 941

It can be had for under $300. It's a great DVD player that plays Audio CD's, MP3's, WMA's, DVD's, DVD-R's, CD R/RW's, DVD Audio, and Super Audio CD (SACD) files and discs.

I have the 931 and it has been a great player for me.

Comment

• whoaru99
                      • Jul 2004

Consider the Pioneer DV-758A (edited - should be DV-578A). Just picked one up for $125 and you may be able to get one for less than that.

It plays all the stuff listed in the previous post, not to mention several picture CD formats - for what it's worth.

I believe it has 24/192 audio DACS and 108 mHz/12 bit video DAC and has progressive scan capability. All this stuff is standard or better with the "good stuff", but I think this rig is a great bang for the buck. I don't know whether it's true or not, but it seems I've read somewhere that many of the guts come from some of their Elite products.

I just replaced an older Sony DVD player with it and all I can say is WOW, much better - especially the picture quality. Sure, my brother's Denon 2900 is a better and probably will last much longer, but it should be as the price is 4 or 5 times more.
                      Last edited by whoaru99; 04 January 2005, 21:18 Tuesday. Reason: Wrong model information
                      There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• bandit788
                        • Nov 2004

Hey great news, check out Tweeter.com, I just got my 2900, new for 495.00. I did not order it online, I used verbal tactics with the dealer, hehe. Tweeter is an authorized dealer so you will get the warranty. Denon has put them on closeout, the silver one's are hard to come by. The Black one's are everywhere, and there is even an authorized online dealer called ListenUp, I don't know much about their reputation, and they are wanting 579.00 for there unit. Good Luck.
                        Shane

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"