X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • macvidguy
    • Dec 2004

Speakers to Sub or Receiver?

Hey all,

What are the pros and cons of connecting my speakers to the sub rather than the Receiver?

I have a reasonable space at 12 wide by 16 deep in a basement. I will be putting in a Denon 2805.

Since it is pre construction, I have the option to cable everything back to my cable closet where components will be, or do I need to cable to where I think the sub will be. I am not sure of where the sub will be based on furniture and fit, but was planning on having 2 or 3 runs so I could choose (if all cabled back to the receiver - 3 runs). If cabling speakers to the sub...ah....that would give me 3 to the receiver for the sub, plus 18 (3 options by 6 speakers) to cover all sub runs....ouch.

Pros? Cons? Need more info?
    Thanks in advance,
    Adam. :E
    Thanks in Advance,
    Mac.
    8O
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

macvidguy,

I assume since the Denon is a HT receiver, you will have an HT set-up. Many people wire their 2 channel systems via a sub/sat configuration. I have one like this in my basement. However, for home theater, I recommend using the reciever as the focal point of the system. The electronics are generally better in those than in subs. Also, I generally like to process or touch the
    signal as little as possible. So......I'd wire your speakers to the Denon and use a cable to your sub. Then set the appropriate crossover in the Denon. The downside to this would be if the crossovers in the sub are better than the Denon, you'd lose some sound quality (I don't think this is the case). Finally, if you upgrade later to separates, you will definitely want to do it this way (wire speakers to amp). My main system is this way. Hope this helps.

PS What sub and speakers do you have?

Comment

• macvidguy
      • Dec 2004

LOL errr...not entirely sorted out.

Well....right now no Sub....and have been picking up Polks piece by piece.

Still need fronts and sub, but have the Sats and Center.

Sats are Polk Fxi3 (found em new at under $180 pair)
      Center is Polk CSi5 (found a price I couldn't turn down, end of distributorship, for under $200 new)

Separate stores, but both brick and mortar registered dealers.

Which basically tosses me into RTis or maybe Monitor series for the Fronts.

Sub undertermined...but Velodyne may be the choice. As I understand it, (limited knowledge, based on this start of this thread) I should match my fronts and center most importantly, and worry less about the sub.

I think the Denon will do fine and would prefer to not get hefty ($/size) in the sub area.
      I know you guys will laugh at the speakers, but this is competing with an overbudget basement at the moment. Have you seen the price of Sconces.

thanks for the help,
      Mac.
      Thanks in Advance,
      Mac.
      8O

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"