X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Titan05
    • Oct 2008

Advice on Sub and Receiver to go with Lineup Series

I’ve been looking around the site for a while now and think I finally decided on building the Lineup Series for my first home theater speaker build. I’ve done a lot of car audio projects, but never ventured into home theater but I’m pretty excited about giving it a shot. Currently I have a 55” Hitachi plasma TV, a PS3, and a HD DVR cable box in my living room. The room is about 16’x17’ with vaulted ceilings. It is also connects to a 12’x12’ kitchen. If I were to guess I’d say I’ll use it 50% movies/TV, 30% music, 20% games. I really liked the Lineup series speakers due to their size. Since this is my main living room and not a dedicated home theater, I didn’t want it to be filled with huge speakers. However, I did always plan on having a sub, and thus didn’t really see the advantage of spending the extra money and space to make the Lineup MaxxL16’s for the fronts. Instead I planned on using the D44’s up front for the mains, D44CC for the Center, and D4’s for the rears. Does this sound like a good setup for the space? I think it should be plenty loud enough.

My main questions are:
    1)What is a good sub/amp combo and design to go with the Lineup D44’s and D4’s that isn’t too big. Not really looking for one of those gigantic tube designs in the corner of my living room, but I could do one of the end table designs. Seems like you could still get a pretty big design in one of those.
    2)What is a good receiver for this speaker setup? I've been looking at AVR's for awhile and was pretty much set on the Denon AVR-3808ci but got concerned when looking at the impedance curves of the D44’s. Looks like they are pretty much a 4ohm speaker and I think the 3808 is only rated down to 6ohms. Are most running dedicated amps with these? I really didn’t want to spend the extra cash for dedicated processor and amp. Is anyone using the 3808 on these? Is there something with the same features as the 3808 that can power them better?

Thanks for your help.
    Great forum and great speaker designs Jed! :T
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

What are the D44's going to sit on?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Titan05
      Thanks for your help.
      Great forum and great speaker designs Jed! :T

Hey thanks! I'd go with one of the Dayton RSS subs. For amplification, check out Emotiva if you can afford it. Otherwise find a receiver with the most power and lowest THD.

Comment

• Titan05
        • Oct 2008

Thanks Jed, I'll look into those.

The TV is mounted about a foot above the fireplace directly on the brick wall. This puts the bottom of the TV about 4 feet above the ground. Its a little higher than I wanted, but the only way it would have worked in the room. I planned on mounting the D44's directly on the wall as well, centered with TV. I'm pretty sure I'd put the center under the TV, but I could put it on top if that would be better. Down the road, I might build some type of entertainment center/mantle to go around the fire place and up to the TV if you could picture that. In that case I would probably just set the L/R on top of it. Either way the back would be right against the wall. As for the rears they too would be mounted on the wall. So from what I have read, that means I should go for the "less BSC" crossover option, right?

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

Yeah, you'll want less BSC for that setup.

Comment

• Titan05
            • Oct 2008

So does anyone have a Denon AVR-3808 powering the Lineup D44's?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"