X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wick
    • Dec 2005

How do you match speakers? and Receiver advice

I just got alot of Best Buy reward points (about $300 worth) and was looking to pick up a receiver. Right now I think these look nice:

Pioneer 840W 7.1-Ch. THX-Certified A/V Home Theater Receiver VSX-1015TX ($515)
    Yamaha 980W 7.1-Ch. THX Select Digital Home Theater Receiver HTR-5890BL ($699)

Any big advantage of one over the other? I would probably pickup a Denon receiver if I didn't have the reward points. Receivers seemed to be the only category from Best Buy that wasn't poor. I didn't like their DVD player selection (going with a Denon 2910 from another place) and speakers from another place (possibly B&W).

I'm also going to pick out some speakers for the receiver and wasn't sure what to look for in the speakers. I'm guessing I want the speaker max power to be equal to or more than the output from the receiver. I'm not really sure how to match speakers though. How do I match a front center speaker to the front left and right speakers? And how do I match the rear speakers to that?

Also I see alot of Subs have amps in them. Does this mean I don't have to worry about the receiver having that much power for the sub?

Thanks for all the help. These forums have been a big help in getting me setup so far.
    Paul
  • cinema bob
    • Apr 2005

yeah you don't have to worry the powering the sub any receiver you get will have only a signal for the sub channel (no power). I just thought I would point out if i were you i would spend the reward points on DVD's and CD's and pick up a nice set of separates or maybe a rotel or as you said a denon receiver.

I don't know anything about those two receivers but yamaha has a reputation for being brighter than others so you might want to match those to some warmer speakers. sorry thats the best i can do.

Comment

• Wick
      • Dec 2005

I have to use the reward point within 90 days, and I can't think of any DVD's out that I want and very few that are coming out in the next 3 months. Thats why I kinda wanted to put it towards my surround system.
      Paul

Comment

• Sim reality
        • Aug 2005

You need to set a total Budget for you Home theatre first...

This will determine if your are purchasing bookself speakers, floorstanding, amount of power, what you plan on upgrading, etc.

Also for the most part, unless you are looking at budget speakers you don't need to match the speaker power to the amp power... The power rating on the speakers is more to represent the amount of continuous heat it can dissipate and the amp... Well no-one really knows what the amp wattage is really telling us with "mass market" receivers.

If it was up to me, I would just blow the money on the cheapest receiver with pre-outs for all the channels and buy a separate amp from Rotel (with the intention to upgrade the processor later). But it really depends on what speakers you plan on buying.

Comment

• wildfire99
          • Aug 2005

Maybe a low-price HD-DVD player will be out before the points expire.

Lots of people seemed to like the 1015, I like my own 1014 (as a processor, anyway). Though if you're spending B&W levels of cash you probably would want to get something less... retail.
          - Patrick
          "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• Wick
            • Dec 2005

Maybe I could use the reward points for a Logitech remote. Because Im becoming annoyed at using one remote for TV settings and one for the digital cable. The TV remote can run the cable too but it lacks the ability to show me the guide and DVR.

Could also use it for cables. Not sure if receivers and speakers come with everything I need to set them up for the best conditions. The DVD player I got today (Denon 2910) didn't include a HDMI cable, so Im not sure how stingy they box speakers and receivers.
            Paul

Comment

• wildfire99
              • Aug 2005

With the last few receivers I've gotten, you generally get a power cord, a remote, batteries, generic bulk made-in-China antennas, an instruction manual, and that's it. Maybe a microphone with attached cable if it does its own room EQ.

Unless it's some kind of theater kit, all my speakers have always come with the speaker itself and packaging, and that's all. Not that it's a bad thing, the 'free' wire they occasionally supply is usually only good for hanging picture frames with.
              - Patrick
              "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• armyscout43
                • Jan 2006

matching speakers

YOUR RECEIVER SHOULD PROVIDE SUFFICIENT CURRENT AND RMS POWER AND PROPER IMPEDANCE IN ORDER FOR YOUR RECEIVER OR AMPLIFIER TO PROPERLY DRIVE THEM. IT ALSO DEPENDS ON THE SPL OR EFFECIENCY OF YOUR LOUDSPEAKERS...DYNAMIC SPEAKERS GENERALLY OPERATE ON 6 TO 8 OHMS AND DOESN'T REQUIRE MUCH LOAD TO DRIVE,
                ELECTROSTATICS AND PLANARS TAKES A LOT OF LOAD/ AND INPUT TO DRIVE AND MOST ARE IN THE 4 OHM IMPEDANCE RANGE.
                YOU'RE RECEIVER/AMPLIFIER SHOULD HAVE SUFFICIENT CURRENT AND RMS TO DRIVE SUCH SYSTEM...

MOST OF THE SPEAKERS IN THE HIGH END RANGE USUALLY REQUIRE TUBES, HIGH END HT'S LIKE CARVER SUNFIRE TO DRIVE OR ADDITIONAL AMPS SUCH AS ADCOM, KRELL, MARK LEVINSON, MCKINTOSH AND THE LIKE TO DRIVE SUCH UNCONVENTIONAL SPEAKERS TO SOUND IT'S BEST.
                GENERAL HI FI OR MID FI HT'S, AS LONG AS THE SPEAKER IMPEDANCE MATCH AND THE OUTPUT POWER OF THE RECEIVER IS SUFFICIENT TO DRIVE THE SPEAKERS. THE MAXIMUM OUTPUT POWER OF THE RECEIVER SHOULD EXCEED THE MAXIMUM POWER OF THE SPEAKER...IF YOU HAVE IT REVERSE, YOU CAN DAMAGE THE TRANSISTOR OF THE AMPLIFER STAGE OF THE RECEIVER, AND IF YOU OVERLOAD YOUR SPEAKERS, YOU WILL BURN OUT THE VOICECOIL of the speaker.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

armyscout43
                <deleted by Admin>

Comment

• armyscout43
                  • Jan 2006

receiver selection

I SUGGEST IN YOUR CASE CHOOSE THE PIONEER VSX 1015, THE NEWER VERSION OF THE VSX 1014 AND 912 WHICH I HAVE...mine is just tweaked with carver amplifiers and various sound processors and tweaks.

If you were interested in fine tuning manually and you have the knowledge and critical high end listening, I would choose the DENON because the denon is only slightly better in internal circuitry or semi conductors but performance wise it's really inaudible and can only be detected in some areas thru various acoustic testing using range meters, ohm meters, oscilloscopes, signal generators and so forth.

DENON doesn't really show much of a difference unless you go up in the HIGHER HIGH END MODELS where money is not an issue.

model per model, PIONEER IS HIGHLY REVIEWED BY EXPERTS AT AUDIO REVIEW, STEREOPHILE, STEREO REVIEW, ABSOLUTE SOUND ETC...
                  THE DENONS they generally review are the over $1000 range...and usually
                  the PIONEER THAT IS HIGHLY COMPATIBLE IS THE PIONEER ELITE SERIES which is the high end section of pioneer which I used to install besides DENON AND ONKYO.
                  The advantage PIONEER has over DENON, YAMAHA OR ONKYO INCLUDING SONY is THEIR PATENTED M.A.C.C SYSTEM...
                  IT IS USER FRIENDLY WHICH THE AUTOMATIC PINK NOISE GENERATOR adjustments for you and room equalization which sets up all of your 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system. It is a computer controlled device designed for the pioneer receivers from models vsx 912, 914 and up to the ELITE SERIES..

If you are already an audiophile or an experienced HT enthusiast, the MACC is just an additional helping hand, but to the general public, IT'S A GODSEND!

The weakness of PIONEER RECEIVERS is impedance matching!
                  PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE A PIONEER RECEIVER IF YOU HAVE HIGH END LOUDSPEAKERS THAT USES A 4 OHM LOAD "UNLESS YOU HAVE ADDITIONAL 4-8 OHM LOAD AMPLIFIERS TO ADD TO YOUR RECEIVER!"

PIONEER RECEIVER ONLY ACCEPTS AN 8 OHM LOAD AND DO NOT HAVE ANY TRANSFORMER SWITCH. Other receivers may or may not have the ability.

That is the only complaint reviewers and users have of the PIONEER HT'S SUCH AS VSX 912, 914, 915, 1014,1015...

THE VSX 1014/1015 MODELS HAVE THX SELECT WHICH the denon at that price level do not have nor any of it's competitors...thx select provides the optimum performance in surround sound processing.

I would put that into consideration when comparing recievers to the pioneer...you would pay an extra $500 or more on other brands that have the THX processing/certification...

<deleted by Admin>

ARMYSCOUT43

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Oh, wrong answer MR SCOUT. You can help people for free with information, but you cannot offer services. Granted 31 day ban for commercial violation.

Also, if you don't turn off the Caps lock key if you return in 31 days, I will ban you for another 31 days. WE DO NOT NEED HARD TO READ ALL CAPS POWER USERS trying to use text size to come across as some larger than life expert, or whatever your angle with that is.

Owner
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• buddy711
                      • Jan 2006

Need help matching speakers also

I have extensive collection of classical, jazz and pop music dating back to 1950's. Much has been converted to CD's. So I am more interested in the quality of music sound than dvd's or tv.

I am updating for first time in 15 years. The room is only 12x16 and the wall unit is on the long wall. One end is sliding glass doors and other window. The new lcd tv 32" when I get it will go into furniture.

But first I am working on audio part. I am purchasing a Rotel 1072 for my CD's and probably a Denon 1920 for dvd's. I'm also getting a Denon 3805. My challenge is to find floor speakers and center speaker to start with and then add the surround speakers when I get the lcd.

I have looked at Polks, heard about axiom, bic acoustech, b & w 700(Britain) etc. also KEF. Totally confused as to what to start with for getting best sound from 3805 for my music on 1072. Budget around 1k give or take for first three speakers.

Any advice would be appreciated--am in south florida. Thx much.
                      Last edited by buddy711; 15 January 2006, 14:58 Sunday. Reason: b&g should be b&w

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

There are no 'magic' matches for your gear or anyone elses. Loudspeakers are a highly subjective item. The best thing is to arrange in-home auditions for those speakers you want to try. If friends have speakers you like consider those first.

You can't trust what you hear from those big walls of speakers in the retail stores for anything other than looks. The speakers that aren't operating, effect the performance of the ones that are playing.

Here's something to consider since you're probably more interested in good 2 channel. You might consider not getting a center, and using the Phantom mode for multi-channel. That will give you the budget to buy better mains.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dyazdani
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by armyscout43
                          MOST OF THE SPEAKERS IN THE HIGH END RANGE USUALLY REQUIRE TUBES,
                          huh?

Originally posted by buddy711
                          Any advice would be appreciated--am in south florida. Thx much.
                          Buddy, didn't see a budget for the speakers, can you elaborate? Also, good advice from Thomas on the phantom mode...
                          Danish

Comment

• buddy711
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by dyazdani
                            huh?

Buddy, didn't see a budget for the speakers, can you elaborate? Also, good advice from Thomas on the phantom mode...

Budget for speakers utilizing advice from Thomas would be 800-1200. I would add the surround speakers later when I finish the lcd and wall unit stuff.
                            Concerned about getting the good speakers for my music right now.

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

If music is a priority the Denon may not be your best choice compared to the likes of Outlaw, Sherwood Newcastle, Nad, Rotel etc...
                              Jason

Comment

• buddy711
                                • Jan 2006

Thx for tips!!! I'm going to look into Outlaw--I hear they have great customer service in addition to fine products. The Denon is versatile, but I am aware that it has limitations where music is concerned, although it has been compared with favor against some quality products in various reviews I have read.
                                I'll be using a rotel 1072 for the cd's and a deonon 1920 for dvd player. The speakers are another difficult decision, but I'm making progress.

Comment

• Clive
                                  Former Moderator
                                  • Jan 2002

Very good there buddy. Audition, audition, audition............that's the key. Following reviews will narrow down units but that final decision (which has been eched enough here) is..YOU!

Please keep us informed :T

What's your budget for speakers?
                                  CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• buddy711
                                    • Jan 2006

speakers etc

Originally posted by Clive
                                    Very good there buddy. Audition, audition, audition............that's the key. Following reviews will narrow down units but that final decision (which has been eched enough here) is..YOU!

Please keep us informed :T

What's your budget for speakers?
                                    Based on the size of the room 12x17, I'm considering B & W 602 S3 for the front pair; and then can add others once video is installed. Talked with a couple of very happy people with 602's with similarly sized rooms and components--I've learned that B & W's match up very well with Rotel. Next week I'll have a chance to hear a rotel 1056 and 1072 with the above speakers with some of my cd's. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"