X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevwheez
    • Dec 2004

Looking for "real world" advice on my HT choices

Hello all,

I found this forum while googling for reviews on the equipment I am looking to purchase. I find these type of forums invaluable for the real life recommendations or not that folks like you give. Being quite the newbie in this arena, I think you guys will be able to help quite a bit.
    I have gone from one manufacturer to another thinking that their model or combination of items was the best for what I was looking for. And the more I researched and found out, the more it kept changing.
    Here's where I'm at now. Hopefully folks out there can confirm these choices as good and/or bad.

I currently have a 62" RCA Scenium HDTV and two separate DirecTV receivers (one for HD broadcasts and another that receives the standard signal but with the TiVo option - I couldn't afford the HD TiVo unit at the time.) I want to add a receiver, DVD player and speaker system to it.

I am pretty set on the following: Sony STRDA2000ES receiver, Sony DVPNS555ES DVD player, and the Harman Kardon HKTS 6.1 speaker system.

I had thought of the HK 335 receiver as the other "final" option, and their DVD31 player instead of the Sony. I wasn't as fond of the HK player since it didn't play SACD and is a one disc model versus the 5 of the Sony. But I have heard that the picture quality of the HK is remarkable. The receiver choice is pretty much a wash, though I thought the 2 Sony products may be better matched for each other, who knows? I would just as soon get the HKTS 14 system if it was worth the extra money, though I would need someone to give me guidance there. This speaker system would be used more for the movie aspect than the hi-fidelity music. I have approx. $1200 to spend on all of this, so let me know what you think.

Are these good products/choices, or not so much. I am looking for opinions - good or bad. Thanks much in adance for anyone reading or contributin - and happy viewing/listening all!

-Kevin
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Kevin in general no big name electronics maker (Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer etc.) make good sounding speakers so IMO I'd skip those HK speakers. What's your speaker budget? Maybe we can suggest something else that's in the same price range. The Sony receiver isn't a bad choice but their latest offerings haven't been well received so you might consider something else instead. The HK's are typically more musical sounding but there's others to consider as well depening on your budget? For DVD players I'd consider one of the universal Denon players as they'll play both DVD-A as well as SACD's and are about as good as it gets video wise. Still I own a Sony DVD player and its been great for me (400 disc jukebox).

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

The new panasonic xr70 is getting good reviews for its price as far as a receiver goes and it has 1 hdmi in and 1 out. hk also has their dpr 2005 that is supposed to be nice for its price.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Yes the new digital panasonics are getting rave reviews and are affordable. The only downside to these is they sound best with a digital source vs analog but that's becoming less a concern all the time these days.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"