X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sony TA-E9000ES vs Denon 3300

I recently took advantage of a great deal on a sony TA-E9000ES pre amp. Previous to owning the Sony I've tried a Sony DB930 receiver, HK receiver (sorry forget model #), Rotel 965 pre amp, Denon 2800 and finally Denon 3300. I only got the TA-E9000ES a couple of days before I left for the in-laws for christmas so I haven't had a lot of time to play with it. I did get time to calibrate it and listen to some music though. I've seen a grand total of 1 whole movie on it but demoed nearly all my "A" clips etc so I'm begining to get a feel for its capabilities. To sum up it's what I was looking for in a pre amp I was fairly happy with the way my Denon 3300 sounded in movies and with the addition of the MSB Link DAC it wasn't to bad in 2 channel either but the 9000ES is clearly sonically better esp in 2 channel mode. Part of the difference is simply that the Link DAC/Denon combo was pretty warm sounding where the 9000ES is a little more open. Its not what I would call bright though (compared to say a Yamaha) but less muddy if that makes sense.

I really like having the options that the Sony offers with adjustable crossover points and being able to dim the display (I HATE obnoxious lights on gear) and the unit is firmware upgradeable. The first thing I did when I got the unit was to flash the firmware with the most current version (2.5) which gives me access to a virtual matirxed 6.1 mode. From some simple listening tests the 6.1 mode is nice but doesn't seem to offer that much more then what the normal 5.1 modes do. Granted my rears aren't set up to image as well as they could so maybe when I get into my house this spring that will change. The LCD remote that they provide is truely a waste of engineering...it really is the worst remote I've ever tried to use. Luckily for me I've got a pronto

Given the price you can pick these pre pro's up for now IMO they are worthy of consideration...esp when you consider for the price of a mid to high end receiver you can buy a used 9000ES and a decent power amp.

• Crimson
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Andrew,
    I agree with you. I'm still using a 9000 as a processor in my HT setup and really haven't felt the urge to upgrade. In fact, I haven't upgraded anything in my HT system for almost 2 years now. I was, at one point, considering replacing it with a Bryston SP-1, but felt a $4-5k investment was better spent in my music system.
    It seems to do DD and DTS just great (i'm 'still' running v1.18) and clean DPL which I use extensively for TV and VCR.

Q.
    Q.

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Congrats Andrew! I know your liking that 9000 pretty darn well. It's nice to find a good piece at a great price. Don't read anything into that.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Crimson why are you still running version 1.18? Check out this page for the firmware

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

After all the anticipation, I'm glad the Sony TA-E9000ES has turned out to be as satisfying a purchase as you have described. Having a pre/pro with the features and performance you want makes a huge (positive) difference in system enjoyment and goes a long way toward quenching "upgrade-itus" -- for a while, anyway. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Congrats on the new hardware. Sounds like you are having a blast, enjoy!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Upgrading from V1.18 to V2.01 makes a big difference in the 2 channel quality. The noise floor drops a bunch. I haven't tried V2.5 since I don't need Japanese satellite decoding, and there are mix reviews about any improvement in sound quality

theAudioWorx
              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                • Jan 2002

Andrew, I'm a little late jumpin' in here but wanted to let you know that I absolutely love my 9000ES. Call me stupid but I had a Lexicon DC1 previously. Not knockin' Lexicon by any means, but I started with the CP3+, then the DC1, then the software upgrades started. It was costing me too much. Got my money out of it and took on the Sony....haven't looked back. I can't tell a lick of difference. I'm not qualified to be able to. LOL! On movies, which is what I'm really all about, I believe the Sony is better. Of course I could never take real advantage of the 7.1 so I was probably cheating myself.

The LCD remote that they provide is truely a waste of engineering...it really is the worst remote I've ever tried to use.
                Couldn't agree more. Hopefully they fired that designer/engineer. It literally s**ks.

Did you purchase the upgrade kit with the RM-SU1 mini remote? It's a great little remote that does about everything you need and allows you to program into learning remotes easier than the LCD. It's much more functional and laid out/labeled really well IMO. If you didn't get it you should really check with Sony parts and see if you can order you one.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Sonnie I own a pronto so I have no need for the other remote. Glad you like your Sony

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"