Sony ES SACD owners, which dacs you prefer for redbook CD playback?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

Sony ES SACD owners, which dacs you prefer for redbook CD playback?

I was wondering what Sony ES SACD player owners (333es, 555es, dvp9000es) use for 2 channel redbook playback: sony dacs or digital out to your prepro/receiver. Please state: your sony model, your prepro/receiver model, your preference, and why.

I had an Onkyo 989 and the Sony 333es, and preferred the Onkyo's dacs for 2 channel.
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

I have the DVP-S9000ES and an Outlaw 1050 receiver. I prefer the Sony DACs for redbook audio, it's smoother, more detailed and less harsh sounding. But then, the 1050 cost half as much as the Sony.

[shameless plug]Having SilverCats as my analog interconnects certainly doesn't hurt either![/shameless plug] :B

I might change my tune when I get a nice pre-pro down the road though!

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Ahh, I like that shamleless plug tag. You were talking about the receiver as far as changing your mind, right?

Ricky, I would guess the Sony is pretty darn smooth on it's DACs. I know my S7000 has some pretty nice DACs in it, and that's old technology.

Truly, this was a Audio Hideout topic. But Ricky's a bit new posting with us, so we will cut him some slack.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I use a Sony SCD777ES with an external DAC; it is a "kit" DAC from APN Hawk Audio, in the Netherlands. It doesn't use any opamps; uses a non-feedback solidstate output stage, no electrolytic caps in signal path, RCLC passive recontruction filter, and has extensive individual regulation for each power section, with combination of series and shunt regulators. It uses a Crystal chip set with a 24 bit oversampling delta-sigma DAC. Sound is quite nice- cleaner and more detailed, and somewhat better sound stage depth than the Sony DAC in the SACD player for two channel. Always use stereo bypass for music- no pre-pro.

-Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lex
          You were talking about the receiver as far as changing your mind, right?
          Certainly did, you'd have to pry the 9000ES out of my cold, dead hands!

BTW, I use the 5.l Direct inputs on my 1050 for analog bypass. Sounds much better than going through the A/D-D/A stage or using coax for redbook.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
          My HT Site

Comment

• Chip
            • Aug 2001

When i had a B&K 307 i went analog out from my 555ES. Now that i've got a Denon 5803 i go coax.... just check'n out the DAC's in the 5803. So far, i'm impressed. The 555 has great DAC's on it's own though. :!:

I have a 9K too but only use it for movies..

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
            Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• LarryB
              • Dec 2001

Lex:

Truly, this was a Audio Hideout topic. But Ricky's a bit new posting with us, so we will cut him some slack.
              He may be a newcomer here but he's a real trouble maker (hey, how can you trust anyone from New Jersey) so I don't think you should cut him any slack at all.

Larry

P.S. This was meant in jest, in case anyone didn't catch on to that.

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

SCD-777ES filter #3 or my Hawk Audio DAC

theAudioWorx
                Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Ricky
                  • Aug 2000

Larry,

Thanks for the introduction We seem to meet in many places these days, online and in reality! I hope you start hanging out here.

Comment

• LarryB
                    • Dec 2001

I stop by once in a while to see what's going on. In general, you'll find this forum has fewer arguments, and better manners, than certain other forums that will remain nameless.

Larry

P.S. On a totally different note, I have decided to hold off on any future equipment purchases for the time being, as I am going to devote some serious efforts to my room acoustics. This was inspired by my having spent about 4 hours last night demoing preamps, only to return home and realize how lousy my room sounds compared to a "professional" listening room.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"