X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Raising Sand

Anybody heard the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss album ? I went looking for it on vinyl and found this http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...3657101&sr=1-2

Wow! What's up with those prices!? Went to a local record shop today and picked up a copy for $19.95. I told the guy to check Amazon-after I paid for it. I'll go to a friend's tomorrow to use his VPI cleaner . My albums have become an ongoing cleaning project. Would have done it today but I had errands and ongoing health issues , plus he had some stuff going on around his house.
    Can't wait to hear the album for myself. Any of you guys heard it all yet ?
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Alaric,

I've never listened to the album but, I am a little suprised at the prices in the link you provided. At those prices, I'm curious now, to hear what makes this release so good.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

It's a popular album , and the tour is doing well enough to postpone (allegedly) a Led Zep reunion tour. Also , being out of print (on vinyl) seems to have convinced a couple stores that it's the second coming of The White Album!
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Listening to the album now. While it sounds pretty good , I'm not real pleased with the built-in warp. If I had paid the Amazon price for it ($90-$300) I would want someone's neck. Musically , it's a great album , and seems to have been well produced on heavy (warped) vinyl. Worth twenty bucks , for sure. Maybe more if the discs are flat . My take is as follows:

Music: :T
        Production quality: :T
        Physical quality of LP: :M
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Thanks for the education! I'm sure if it's popular, demand will work it's way into pricing.

Sorry to hear/read about the warp. But, it's great to know you are at least happy with the music and production qualities.

Enjoy the music!
          Last edited by John Holmes; 25 February 2008, 00:34 Monday.
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Guess I'll stick to my CD of it then. Great stuff (but I'm a HUGE Alison Krauss fan, so I'm biased).

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

I bought the CD in November 2007. I rate it fairly highly. The amazing thing to me is that Robert and Alison worked so well together having never collaborated before. They decided they would give themselves 4 days to write some songs and if it didn't work they would give up and part as friends. Fortunately it worked.

In my opinion there's not a snowball's chance in hell that Led Zeppelin will tour. Robert has stated that he couldn't think of anything worse than aging like a Rolling Stone. However I do understand that they are intending to play one concert in the Gaiety Hall, Akaroa (a seaside town in the South Island of New Zealand). You heard it here first.

Nigel.
              Attached Files

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I caught this on the MHD (Music High Def) channel on satellite the other night. Initially when I heard about it I thought this was a silly publicity stunt pairing, but Plant and Zep's roots are in the blues (go digging, you'll find it) and Alison's are in folk, and those two are similar in some respects. And not only does the music work well as Nigel says, it's interesting to hear the relationship between the two as they work together before the performance.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"